What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always done the canoe thing. Are kayaks more comfortable, maybe better on the old man's back? They certainly seem to be easier to carry around on the vehicle. Been thinking about one.

If you get a yak with a nice seat then yes!!! If you get a yak where you sit on the plastic bottom then NOOOOO! I got a back rest on mine ;) LOVE IT! Its got adjustable lumbar supprt n everything :D

Just bought 32 pounds of plums for plum wine. Got most washed and tomorrow I'll destone and freeze them.

Doug,

Do you know you can rinse out those filters and re-use them? Actually, I have thrown them in the washer and washed that was as well.

I've been rinsing them out. Lately with the pollen and everything floating around I'm chaning it darn near every day. It's getting to be a PITA. I figure get the sand filter as we will likely always have a pool similar to this one. (Bowie ate the last little one) and it will save on the aggravation in the long run. Another plus is I can get a vaccuum to clean the bottom of the pool to get the stuff the leaf net doesn't get. I'm looking forward to Tuesday when it arrives. We'll likely go out this weekend to get a small cover for it to try and keep some of the stuff out. Anywho, it's supposed to be another nice day so we will likely be working poolside so and my daughter can play today.

I have a sand filter on mine and its well worth it. So much cleaner and easier than that little cartridge.
I also have a salt clorinator. I hated doing those tablets. I went away on vacation and the water was green after a week. Now its perfect and I don't do anything. Except clean the skimmer and anything else that falls in.

I have a sand filter on mine and its well worth it. So much cleaner and easier than that little cartridge.
I also have a salt clorinator. I hated doing those tablets. I went away on vacation and the water was green after a week. Now its perfect and I don't do anything. Except clean the skimmer and anything else that falls in.

I was wondering how those salt systems worked. Didn't investigate it too much since it is only a 12' round pool 24" deep. The box says it holds 1590 gallons of water and our water bill reflects that (wow the bill this month). We went this route to keep from dumping and filling the previous 10'x6'x16" previous pool every week. I'm almost glad the dog bit a hole in the side as this is so much nicer and in the long run will save $$$ over the smaller one since we are not contantly replenshishing the water. We have it sitting on our patio which worked out well for a level surface (1/2" drop over 6' - level enough for the pool). Next year when we set it up I'll do a better job getting the wrinkles out of the bottom and maybe pad the bottom better. Anyway. the sand filter is a 1600 gph pump so the entire pool will recirculate in an hour. Need to run out this weekend and get 2 bags of sand and some other stuff.

Ingram Days parade is at noon. After that it's off to Lowes to pick up supplies so I can rune 3-4 outlets along my fence on the patio. Unforunately as it is now, if I want to plug anything in I need to run an extension cord from either the garage or the kitchen.

We'll see how that goes. Hopefully I won't get electricuted. Been alonl g time since I've had a good ZAP.....

My wife and i are painting faces at a fundraiser for a friend of ours who is adopting 2 special needs children from Eastern Europe.

Also gonna try to go to Moundville for a Knap-in. This is a get together for people to make or learn to make stone tools.

I'll be heading out on the bike today for a charity fund raiser for Special Olympics with my Masonic Riders group. This should be fun!

You never know when you'll need a good STONE TOOL!! Cool way to keep the "old ways" alive! Everyone needs to pass on their knowledge, culture and stories.

Debbie

Wish me luck today

Big wine day today. Racking MMM Amarone from barrel to 5 gallon carboy and Jeroboam. The jeroboam will lay down for a 2, 3, or 4 years till the next family reunion.

Also today moving MMM Rojo Intensio to barrel for a few months. RJS Toro is clear now so it comes off lees for several months aging. I need a good Italian name for my first Spanish wine.

CC Showcase Yakiama Syrah is finished fermenting so it gets clarified today. CC LR gets a dose of glycerine today and bottled tomorrow.

Primary will be empty so may as well start the MM Renn. Cab Syrah.

BTW Harry Potter 7.2 was brilliant! I wonder how you make Butter Beer.

Last edited:
Picked up our new kayaks. Nikki, we did get Carbon paddles (handles are carbon and blades are fiberglass) but not the twisted ones like you which are really for rapids. Our boats are more along the line of sea kayaks and the paddles only cost about 30% of what you paid.

Picked up our new kayaks. Nikki, we did get Carbon paddles (handles are carbon and blades are fiberglass) but not the twisted ones like you which are really for rapids. Our boats are more along the line of sea kayaks and the paddles only cost about 30% of what you paid.

I went bent shaft cuz its better for my arthritis. Luv the lightness of the carbon. Was a perfect day for paddling but hubs is outta town with the midget so I stayed home and cleaned :( sucks!!! Need a local paddling buddy LOL!Oh and I got 25% off my entire purchase so yours wasn't that much cheaper LMAO!!!

Last edited:
Douglas I was checking out the site for Knap-in. That sounds like it would be very interesting and fun. I would love to see the museum some time.

it is an amazing place. i beaded a wampum belt for the Chief's son display.
The mannequin's were "life cast" from real people and they look eerie, like they are going to turn and speak to you.

Camping there and the sounds of silence with only the Black Warrior river until the train way off in the distance is one of the most awesome experiences.
it is one of my favoritest places on Earth.
Let me know if'n you ever make it down here.

You never know when you'll need a good STONE TOOL!! Cool way to keep the "old ways" alive! Everyone needs to pass on their knowledge, culture and stories.

Debbie

Plus it's a great skill to know when the end times come upon us.
You might not be able to just go buy a knife or points (arrowheads)
I have seen people dress game with a stone knife.
An obsidian blade can have an edge 2 microns thick (thin? LOL.)

Pretty cool stuff!!

I have a lot of basic skills and I can fashion what I need out of found objects. I have a feeling I was on the prairie with Laura Ingalls Wilder in my past life.

Debbie

Back