What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have to know were both corny and crazy for the most part! :)

I didn't take any pictures inside with the guys. I really really wanted to and thought about it several times but figured they would think I was being corny. I'll post a note at FVW.

Nice burn there Rich!!! Usually Im getting the bashing so its fun to watch someone else get bashed!! Its all we do at work is just rip on each other and it gets us through every day!

Heading north today to see the in-laws in Elkhart, Indiana and making a stop in Goshen on the way to check out a winery that I hear is also a wine supply store. This may work out well!

My 18 y/o and I are going to Canonsburg to put in the canoe then we are going to canoe to Presto, PA. the trek down Chartiers Creek should take us about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. The upper part of the creek is real scenic with alot of wild life. Last time I did that part of the creek, we saw a heron rookery, beavers, deer, hawks, and 2 owls. It was kind of cook and a nice way to kill the morning.

Going to set my first trellis wire in the "wine garden"! Got my order last week from Orchard Valley Supply. I think I have 20X more wire than I will EVER need but its good to have extra on hand I suppose.

Going to go Striper fishing tonight at a hot spot that someone turned me on to last night on http://www.ctfishtalk.com/ forum. Im going to meet him there also and share a few beers. Hopefully tonight Ill will break my bad streak in NA water! LOL Mike, looking a your website and being geographically challenged, do you really need Cold hardy climate grapes there?

Last edited:
Bwahaahahahahahahahahahaha....... :)

Lets see, this past February we got down to -22F so yea, pretty sure we do! A normal Winter will usually see a few days to a week or so of 0 to -5 or so. This Winters lows were record breaking all over the state.

Today we will hit 100 in ABQ and more like 95-97 here in Los Alamos. Gotta love the temp swings in a high mountain desert region.

Mike, looking a your website and being geographically challenged, do you really need Cold hardy climate grapes there?

Raining all day here. Cooking a hot sausage dip, cleaned 8 cases of bottles so far and watching the "Rifleman" with Chuck Connors all day on AMC. Gotta love them old westerns.

So Mike, if you werent up in the mountains a bit tghen that would change things right?

I am at 6500ft and the cold air settles in the canyons near me so we are a few degrees colder in the AM than places that are 7200ft just up the road. The entire state is pretty high elevation but the overall further south you go the lower the elevation and the warmer the temps year round.

I know people that are growing vinifera noble down in ABQ but thats still pushing it as ABQ is the same elevation as Denver so they get snow and cold just not as much as the northern part of the state which is ski country in the winter.

Way down south 30 miles from the border with Mexico is Deming (4500ft EL) This is where they have planted 700 acres of vinifera noble but they still had lows of -12F this winter. The red varietals seemed to survive in tact but they lost a bunch of white varietals and had to replant this summer.

Like they say, learn something new everyday. I dont get out of my state much at all as you can see!!!

Here is a pretty cool pic from the air of how the town is laid out. Basically built on top of "finger mesa's". The whole area is volcanic rock in origin. In the background you can see the Valle Grande caldera . Used to be a volcano that blew its top off long ago. They will more than likely make into a national park in a few years. The mesa's are the result of the lava flow. Our ski area (Pajarito) is just to the right of the caldera.

valles3m.jpg

Back