What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got home after working 18 hours with 3 hours of drive time...hard to stay awake while driving home, now that I am home unable to sleep...go figure

Just got back from Costco getting stuff for my daughter who at college. We also made a trip to Pat Catan's and picked up some 6 oz wine glasses for $2.00 a piece. I'm going to get some acid etching and etch D & O Wine Cellars into some of them. The have pre-cut stencils of grapes to apply for acid etching. I may put our name (D&O Wine Cellars) in a semi-circle then put a bunch of grapes under them.

First day on the job as Ombudsman. They have a joke about my department. During big meetings when all the departments meet up and ask what they are doing and they all say "Sorry, confidential". :)
Spent the day at a state mandated training. Can't go into detail.
Went to the local wine bar and had a nice bottle of Merlot. It was an Alexander Vineyards 2007 Merlot. Not bad at all.

Looks like a busy weekend for me. I've got to start on a small drawing for a contractor, hopefully we both will make some money on it.
Need to work on my daughters house some more. Tearing the old soffit and fascia off (Aluminum) so we can add more hurricane anchors on the old house.
Got plenty to do around here too.

Townwide yard sales for us today. Our oldest son Michael (creator of the map) and his fiance are here hoping to find some deals for their new apartment, (and also to raid dads wine cellar).

going to work, because carboys, filters, and other equipment is not free. As if already working 58 hours of regular time and 8 hours of OT wasn't enough. Today I get to add another 12 of OT.

Just happy that Monday is Labor day so I can still enjoy a 2 day weekend.

Started a 3 gal batch of blackberry wine last night, added the enzyme a few minutes ago and am now going to shut down the computer and wait out hurricane Earl - rain and wind just started in earnest ( or should I say Earl!) - power flickered a few times so we'll be without power soon. It's been downgraded somewhat here so won't be as bad as we feared but still quite eventful.
Hope you folks along the US eastern seaboard fared well.

I racked my storebought grape,cranberry,blueberry juice wine into secondary today. I had a little wine left over so I went to the cupboard to get one of the glass Buffalo Bill's mug that I use to store the leftover wine in the fridge with and there weren't any in the cupboard. I asked my wife where they all were. She said - "You're using them all" Oh.

Storebought juicewine Pic  9 4 10 008.jpg

Stuck at the weekend job that I quit 3 weeks ago. They have a policy where you can't use vacation before you quit. I'm pretty upset about it. Exhausted from my first week at the new job. This makes for 120 hour work period until I get a day off.

Lots of places arent going to pay you for not working just to leave you for another job. If I owned a company I would put that into affect myself. Glad to give you a vacation for working but not for leaving! today Im relaxing as the past few days Ive been doing nothing but work. I did manage to pick in total 26 lbs of elderberries after destemmed and those are in the freezer now. Will do lots of wine work tomorrow like racking and getting everything bottled labeled and into the cellar and if Im not beat Ill bottle 1 or 2 batches.

Yeah but they have to pay out my vacation and personal days anyway. Just one more day and sweet sweet freedom!

I feel for you Dan. 120 hours with no time off sucks. It's not uncommon, though, to have a lockout on time off after giving notice.

My wife's contract requires 4 weeks notice and if she takes any of that time off she has to surrender any and all remaining vacation/personal and sick pay.

One of my old employers instituted a similar policy after one of the machine operators gave 2 weeks notice and then called off sick for all of it except 4 hours.

Started a batch of eldo today. Used Cote des Blancs this time. Smells horrible but will taste good.

My wife is having friends over on Monday for a wine and snacks event at the house. I got up cleaned the kitchen and shampood the carpets so that that much would be done and clean before Monday. We put down new mulch around the patio. Her and friends will be enjoying wine and snacks and me and another husband are going to be watching 4 - 3 y/o and a 5 y/o. Should be fun. We have several different wines for tasting and both of us will be making various finger foods for the event. I told her she needs to make it a monthly event at a different residence each time.

Going to finish my glass of wine and hit the sack. Plan on doing some riding tomorrow.

Watching football... Duh!
LoL
Auburn won.
LSU winning.
Good day for the SEC... Except for Old Miss.

Latest posts

Back