What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another typical day for the househusband. I've got wine to rack and some to bottle. Plenty of the usual chores to do.
Later today we're going to my brothers, three blocks away for dinner. I'll probably take him a care package of blackberry wine, being he did help me pick 75 pounds.
I've already given him two bottles and he hasn't even tried any yet. I tell him to try some of it now and I'll have plenty for him to set back to age.

Aww it's a Quaker. My cousin breeds them. We have one named Dixie.

Is Dixie a demon as well??? MoJo just tried to remove hubbys finger....... ***SIGH***

so I come in the room and MoJo swoons and hops on me to get luvings GRRRRR why cant he love everyone!!!!

The wife and I drove up to Gavin's Point Dam yesterday to see the beauty of the water and area then came home and mowed the yard and then pressed the juice out of my rhubarb nine gallons of it I got a little over three gallons of juice so I will need to go harvest more rhubarb so I can make five gallons of wine going out in a little while to pick wild plumes I did find out one thing and that is I really don't like the Juiceman juicer for juicing fruit.

Picked up (2) 3 gallon carboys for 15.00@ and (2) older primaries for 5.00@. Primaries hold 7 gallons and look more like Tupperware than buckets. Certainly could not move them around full like the buckets. These were on Craigs list and he still has 5 & 6 gallons carboys left. I did not need anymore of those unless if they're giving them away.:r

Back sweetened Niagara and Cranberry. Going to a picnic tonight at a friends house.

I just transferred my first batch of wine (made from juice) for clearing now that the fermentation is complete.

The recipe called for a 23 litre batch (6 US gallons) which I made exactly, but when I moved to my carboy from my primary bucket there was quite a headspace at the top. This was fine for the secondary fermentation step but now that it is set for clearing, how do I top up the carboy to eliminate the headspace at the top. The recipe instructions say to top up to within 2 inches of the top using another similar wine or just water, however that would be approximately two litres of top up liquid. Is this standard procedure or is there a different size carboy that I should use at this step?

Thanks
Terry

Yes Dixie loves to draw blood.
Spent the day off with Kat and Tristen. We went to Baughers farm and U-picked apples.
Also picked up 4 lbs of orange blossom honey. There is a gallon of mead in the future

I just transferred my first batch of wine (made from juice) for clearing now that the fermentation is complete.

The recipe called for a 23 litre batch (6 US gallons) which I made exactly, but when I moved to my carboy from my primary bucket there was quite a headspace at the top. This was fine for the secondary fermentation step but now that it is set for clearing, how do I top up the carboy to eliminate the headspace at the top. The recipe instructions say to top up to within 2 inches of the top using another similar wine or just water, however that would be approximately two litres of top up liquid. Is this standard procedure or is there a different size carboy that I should use at this step?

Thanks
Terry

Terry, the new carboys are from Italy and they are actually 6.5 gallons. For this reason when I purchase juice I always get 7 gallons and that way I have extra left for topping up. The extra juice I store in 1/2 gallon or 750mm bottles.
To solve your problem now I would top up with a cheap wine close to what you're making. You're not wasting any money as the wine you buy will end up as something better that you made.

Got back from picking wild plumes it started to rain out there on the dirt road so I didn't want to get stranded on a dirt road got five gallon bucket full of plums not all ripe yet so I put in my car for now had a gallon of plums in there from last weekend that were ripe so I brought them in and sorted though them and I ended up with one gallon to put into the freezer now headed out to do chores then come in and get cleaned up to go out to Red Lobster for suppy thanks to my daughter and son-in-law

Oh Man its early!!! i start training for my job today!!! YAY!! and Kylie starts back to school!!! what a crazy day it will be! wish us luck

Oh Man its early!!! i start training for my job today!!! YAY!! and Kylie starts back to school!!! what a crazy day it will be! wish us luck

Enjoy it while you can.. I'm taking it that Kylie is one of your kids??
You could be like me,, getting too old to find a job.. And worrying about the grandson in school.
Oh, but life is good. The Sun is still shining, summer is about to cool off, wine is still fermenting,, what more could you ask for?

Good luck in job training Nikki. You'll have a great day. On another note, I have a yellow naped amazon parrot. Spencer is 21 years old this past March. She's a great bird but also likes to draw blood at times.

My wife had her play date with the moms. We had 3 - 3 y/o at the house. it was a good time. We went to the playground. Those girls tired me out big time....I'm getting too old for that.

Enjoy it while you can.. I'm taking it that Kylie is one of your kids??
You could be like me,, getting too old to find a job.. And worrying about the grandson in school.
Oh, but life is good. The Sun is still shining, summer is about to cool off, wine is still fermenting,, what more could you ask for?

yup shes my girl!!! started 3rd grade today!!!

Today I visited many wineries and vineyards along Lake Erie in PA & NY. I got a chance to meet and talk to the main wine maker at Presque Isle winery and pick his brain. It was only after we got done talking I found out he is going to be one of the judges at a competition I entered this friday. I also picked up some supplies while I was there, like shrink capsules at .055 each. I picked up 7 gallons of cherry juice at another winery that I will start tomorrow morning (started a yeast starter tonight).

IMG_20100907_131826.jpg

Today I visited many wineries and vineyards along Lake Erie in PA & NY. I got a chance to meet and talk to the main wine maker at Presque Isle winery and pick his brain. It was only after we got done talking I found out he is going to be one of the judges at a competition I entered this friday. I also picked up some supplies while I was there, like shrink capsules at .055 each. I picked up 7 gallons of cherry juice at another winery that I will start tomorrow morning (started a yeast starter tonight).

IMG_20100907_131826.jpg

Drove to new holland pa to pick up bushells of red bell peppers and plum tomatoes filled the durango with 22 bushells took a ride with my uncle. only took 3.5 hours with 1 pit stop

Did some trainging today. Reading federal laws pertaining to my job. Did some site visits with my boss too. Wow. I went from fun activities for the disabled to some serious serious stuff. I'll really be helping these people out. A lot of responsibility.

Just got my home-office desktop back in service. Hard drive got really flakey a few days ago, had to replace it. Now I still have a pile of stuff to reinstall! At least I didn't lose any data (well, not that I've discovered yet).

Ordered a new 3 gallon carboy setup today. I've got cabernet sauvignon from the midwest grapes that needs stabilizing and the headspace reduced. Going to keep it under airlock until the new carboy arrives.
Also ordered a new 120 bottle wine rack from george. Gotta find a spot for it in our little home to set it up.
IT'll be full before the year is up for sure.

Back