what knives all you cooks use

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
I have a collection of jj henkles, and a big set of cutco, but my everyday favorite is a set from Paula Dean, there heavy , stay sharp,and a good bargain.

I use whatever is sharp, don't particularly care on the name as long as it keeps an edge

Wustof, only have a couple, 10" chef is my favorite. All the rest are just a collection.

I have a set of Calphalon knives we got as a wedding present. They are pretty good. Heavy and sharp.

My dad has Wusthof Classic Ikons that I really enjoy using when I get the chance. Crazy sharp, light and fast.

I am a firm believer in using the correct knive for the job...
but i have used a chefs knive to spread peanut butter on a sandwich...

I use a 9 inch chef's knife for almost every thing , I have 4 or 5 of them.
plus two good mixed sets of henkles twin master and saboier .

two of my chef's knives are german steel but made in spain , cheap costco ones.

they all hold a nice edge , you don't have to spend alot of money , the yellow handled henkles are sold at commercial kitchen shops where restaurant staff shop. cheap and excellent.

Wustoff Trident and Henkles, I got the knives over 30 yrs ago, they still hold an edge like a brand new knife, years ago, 4 or 5 of these knives would set you back $500 or so, that was a good amount 30 yrs ago.

what is amazing is when i joined this forum i thought it was all wine...not so.. there is some excellent cooks here, never thought of it, but
I guess if you love good wine, you love good food ..makes sense..now.

James,
I actually went to a Culinary institute when I lived in Italy, it was on the Island of Elba, what a paradise!!! I was a chef for a long time, until I got tired of seeing everyone having fun on weekends, holidays and so on, while I was playing Chef, it's different being a chef in the US unless you are cooking in a 5 star resort or restaurant, in Italy, the whole Tourism industry depends on chefs, people that travel to Italy expect to dine on amazing Italia cuisine. Chefs are treated like royalty!

I am thinking I am like most of you out there. Here are a few of my knives. The "Ginsu" set in the background is more for show (except for the steak knives and the scissors). The knives I really use on a regular basis are in the foreground, two purchased at Sam's, one an old Chicago Cutlery knife for carving meat and my steel.

100_0614.jpg

rapala fillet knives for me (what can I say, I'm cheap lol). Once you get use to the bend in the blades you can do some pretty interesting cuts.

Been on the lookout for a high quality fillet knife for some time now but haven't found one that I have fallen in love with

I have a collection of jj henkles, and a big set of cutco, but my everyday favorite is a set from Paula Dean, there heavy , stay sharp,and a good bargain.

I agree on the Paula Dean knives. They are the only ones that I will use.

If I stay up late enough tonight - I might have to buy the Ginsu knife set and of course a 2nd set for just the shipping charge -
But wait there's more !!! - LOL

We actually own a set of Chicago Cutlery knife set -

Last edited:
HenryMae beat me to it. First question is whether to go Japanese style or European style. When looking to upgrade from my old, ragtag collection, I decided on Japanese, and bought Shun Classics. Super sharp, holds an edge a long time, and are very agile. I like both the chef's knife and the santoku.

Latest posts

Back