What else do I need.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brudavis

Reaction score
Going to buy a kit and this is what it includes.

7.9 DELUXE Gallon Fermenter with Lid
6 Gallon Carboy
(Choose GLASS or upgrade to a BETTER BOTTLE)
(Better Bottle option includes 6 gallon Better Bottle
with a #10 drilled bung)
Drilled Stoppers to Fit Lid and Carboy
Airlock
Bottle Brush
Hydrometer
Wine Recipe Book
No Rinse Sanitizer
CORKER
(Choose TWIN corker or Upgrade to a FLOOR corker)
30 Corks
Racking Tube with Anti-sediment Tip
5 ft. Siphon Tubing
Fermtech Bottle Filler
Plastic Shut Off Valve
FREE ''Making Homemade Wine'' instruction book.
A Quality Wine and Ale Supply no charge extra!

What else do I need to get befor starting.

Right now? You need K-meta... In the long run, *evil laughter* that's just the beginning. You can add the fancier toolds later on. You seriously want the metal drill attachment for degassing! Makes life a whole lot easier. I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff, but you've got the basics....

I would also invest in an auto siphon. (if it doesn't already come with one)

Auto siphon is an excellent idea. Yes up grade to the floor corker. You will never regret it and no sense paying for a hand one now and a flor corker 6 months down the road. Where are you buying from. If you're buying on line at Fine Vine Wines, George will work with you and steer you right. I would stick with a glass carboy for now. Incidently welcome to the forum, feel free to keep asking questions.

Long handled spoon for stirring or de gassing and a thermometer to ensure your wine is above 75 degrees when degassing. Too low a temp at degassing time and it may lead to a slightly fizzy wine( don't ask me how i know)

Good luck

Digger

Extra hydrometer. If you don't have an extra one, I guarantee you'll break the one you have. One gallon jug to hold the sanitizer. By the way, welcome to the forum. :i

Extra hydrometer. If you don't have an extra one, I guarantee you'll break the one you have. One gallon jug to hold the sanitizer. By the way, welcome to the forum. :i

Or instead of the jug you can use a spray bottle, this seems to be a great way to spritz all your stuff and its convenient to store it too.

large bottle of star san
autosiphon
hydrometer test jar
couple stick on thermometers
floor corker

get a wallpaper tray fro sanitizing your long equipment

...as a newbie myself, I've purchased all of the above, and also an extra carboy, it makes racking much easier, and extra airlock and bung to go with it. extra kitchen scrub brushes help with cleaning too!
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you are getting it together and will be making some good wine soon. Have fun with it, and welcome to the group.

Thanks to all for the help. Once I get all my supplies and start my first batch I will post my progress and all my questions(sure I will have some).

We'll help walk you through it, no worries! I'm glad to see that you're going in to this prepared, it makes it alot easier... Good luck!

A handle for the neck of your carboy. A 6 gallon glass carboy can be somewhat hard to pick up and get a good hold of especially when you are trying to clean it when it is wet.

Just make sure you place it as low as possible on the neck and don't rely on it 100% to carry a full carboy without support from your other hand, as it is possible to crack the neck.

Going to buy a kit and this is what it includes.

7.9 DELUXE Gallon Fermenter with Lid
6 Gallon Glass Carboy with a #10 drilled bung
Drilled Stoppers to Fit Lid and Carboy
Airlock
Bottle Brush
Hydrometer
Wine Recipe Book
No Rinse Sanitizer
FLOOR corker
30 Corks
Racking Tube with Anti-sediment Tip
5 ft. Siphon Tubing
Fermtech Bottle Filler
Plastic Shut Off Valve
FREE ''Making Homemade Wine'' instruction book.
A Quality Wine and Ale Supply no charge extra!

Kit should be here tomorrow. hopefully be making wine by next week.

For sure upgrade to the floor corker. Don't know how many of us have brand new, never used hand corkers (as well as cork soakers (LOL)).......

A better Bottle is NOT an upgrade IMHO! Go with glass, all the way.

The Fermentor (Primary) should come with a peel off thermometer to stick on the bucket. Make sure it does or get one if it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back