What are you kicking off the New Year with?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
What are you kicking off the New Year with?

I'm starting 3 red's soon, along with an SP and Jalapeno Apple wine.

thinking about starting some Sweet Chery this weekend, but if the misses has her way (and she probably will) it will be more peach.

"I" will be starting the year off making a wine bench in the basement our new home... "Wife" just called and said "I'm over at the brew shop just killing time... getting prices on some kits".... apparently she has plans for the new year...

I'm building the bench why don't I get to pick the first kits?!?!?

I will be starting 3 batches of red raspberry on New Year's day. Each gallon batch will have 5 lbs of raspberries that are taking up too much space in our freezer. I'll be playing with tannin and the amounts of other additives to see what difference it makes in taste.

We'll be hosting a wild party with wine tasting, assorted chow, and karaoke. I'll be serving Skeeter Pee in volume along with these wines: Montmorency cherry, crabapple, Frontenac Gris, candy cane, elderberry, wild plum, rhubarb-peach, and a sparkling apple. The sparking apple is my first attempt at a champagne type beverage, so it should be interesting.

This should all be started new years day. As long as I get up in time.:b
5 gallons of pineapple, (never made this before so fingers crossed)
2.5 gallons of skittles
2.5 gallons of candy cane
2.5 gallons strawberry breeze

In 2010 I made 75+ gallons, mostly apple,peach,elderberry,cab., & SP. This year I plan on upgrading my reds, Need a good full body "smokie-oakie" red. Anyone have a kit to recommend or recipe? Roy

1 gallon apricot
1 gallon white grape
A Breferm Tarweier-Wheat (My first attemp at beer)

Getting ready to bottle a cherry mead. I hope it is as good as the raspbberry.

I am looking forward to a new year of brewing fun. I sure everyone will create some awsome beverages this year.

In 2010 I made 75+ gallons, mostly apple,peach,elderberry,cab., & SP. This year I plan on upgrading my reds, Need a good full body "smokie-oakie" red. Anyone have a kit to recommend or recipe? Roy

I did a batch of elderberry that I oaked w/ med toast american chips post-ferment. This is OUT-Fing-STANDING!!

My only regret is that it was a 3g batch. I've since started a 6g batch that will get the same treatment :)

I used these:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/american-medium-toasted-oak-chips.html

I have a whole lineup ready as carboys free up ...

elderberry, chambourcin, raspberry, meade, blackberry, cherry - all on the shelf or in the freezer waiting.

Next up will prolly be a raspberry meade.

I will start another batch of apple spice and probably shortly after another batch a strawberry.

I will probably make Chardonel and Seyval again this year. Would like to try and get some Vidal and possibly a Vignoles.

Soon as I free up a couple of carboys, I was presented with 5 gal. home pressed apple juice. Think I have enough elderberries for 5 gal. and then there are a few other berries floating around in the freezer. Mite just mix em all up and see what happens. Arne.

Wolf, have you made the white merlot before? I do like a white melot by Beringer and I wanted to make this kit but don't want to be dissapointed.

Yes I have. I made this after tasting some wynthief brought some to one of our wine parties. Most everyone that tastes it likes it. It is a semi dry. I also added about 15 oak cubes to it just for a tad bit more flavor. I can't explain why a white merlot is red though.

Yes I have. I made this after tasting some wynthief brought some to one of our wine parties. Most everyone that tastes it likes it. It is a semi dry. I also added about 15 oak cubes to it just for a tad bit more flavor. I can't explain why a white merlot is red though.

Cool then I think I will pick one of these kits up and do one also. Thanks

Well I'm having family over New year's day for kielbasa and kraut so I will be serving riesling with that, then another party on Sunday, this will be a Steeler tailgate type of party and I will be serving Elderberry.

What I am planing on making for the start of the year is blackberry, more elderberry, riesling and a gewurtz. And as the year goes on heaven only knows what I will be into.

6 gallons of tart cherry was started Christmas Day. Yesterday saw the beginning of 5 gallons Blackberry and 3 gallons of Concord from concentrate. 3 gallons of Plum may be thawed and started on the 3rd. Wife's B-day is the 2nd, so this was her pick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back