WineXpert WE Symphony

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
We started this kit on 1-26. Today the SG was 1.002 and we racked it to a carboy. Here is a picture of it. I wish I could have taken a picture of how it smelled because it sure makes the house smell good. Better than baking bread. Hope you can see the carboy in the picture. It's dressed in a new jacket.

20080201_180539_100_0640_Small.jpg

I also made the Symphony last year late winter/early spring and it was drinkable almost right away. It was my friend's favorite that I've made so far and it's already gone. It cleared very nicely and I don't use filters and noone could tell.

I'm thinking about getting another one...but then kind of want to try CC white just to see how they compare.

Sparkling Symphony?......... HhhMMmm........

I bet that would be good. Does the bubbles seem to sweeten it up a bit?

I don't care for dry wines, or dry champagnes. All the ones that I am doing right now, I plan on sweetening back with some stabilizers added before recorking after degorging......

Joan, my wife was wondering how you sparkled your Symphony. Sounds interesting.

I think I have lost my mind!!! I lied!! I didn't sparkle my Symphony! I sparkled my Riesling!

Jobe, the Symphony is a bit sweet. I think you and the Mrs. would enjoy it!

Moose, I followed NorthernWinos' how to instructions. It's not hard just a bunch more steps. It was well worth the extra work.

http://www.finevinewine</span>s.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1222 I'm thinkin' the Symphony would be wonderful too!

Jobe, this is why Im looking into the forced carbonation.
1) I can change my mind a nd sparkle any of my wines at any time even if i have added sorbate and k-meta.
2) I can sweeten to taste then carbonate.
3) My friends best friend is going to hook me up with all or almost all of the stuff for very cheap since he owns a co. that does all this stuff.
4) I can do it without having to wait for warmer temps like Im doing right now.
5) It can be done quickly.

I too am looking at that, but I don't think you'll get the same effect. Co2 will carbinate like soda, or beer with large bubble were as champagne has all those tiny little bubbles..........

I'm going to look into it because I can get the stuff for free, so why not.

This is what real beer makers do and they get good head! Hey, get your mind out of the gutter!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

JoBE///the key to forcedcarbonation is to make sure every think that your finished wine comes in contact with meaning,botles and k/keg is very cold and that you understood full what to do before you do it,EX.before I did my first I used water to test the set up and how much so2 I wanted,after thatI went through the entire process just with water,including bottling,,,,,once do then the time for fun ,this opens up a whole now palata of wine making at any time {cold is the key}

Jobe, Ive asked on "The Other Forum" about this and have heard the same story with the bigger bubbles as you mentioned. If my friend hooks me up with the equipment I will be the guinea pig and try a batch to see how much of a difference there is but Im not sure of the results even then as I will be experimenting with with no experience.

Wade: Years ago, you could buy a soda machine for the home that came with te different syrups and a machine with a refillable CO2 cartridge. It was horrible because the soda didn't have time to absorb much of the co2, what you were drinking was what you just put in suspension. I have played with this a little, with poor results since then. I suspect what Joe has posted above has a lot of merit and time should be emphasized. The liquid, in this case wine, just has to absorb the co2 completely. If the expense isn't great to get into one of these systems, then I say try it. In my case, I can get the whole set up going for $20, but I think I would rather enjoy the process of second fermentation in the bottle. After all, the commercial folks are proud to put that on their bottles.

I do believe that the carbonation stone will make much better carbonation and will give it a try. Are you giving up the idea completely?

What would be a good white wine to use for topping off the carboy today afterI add the metabisulfite, sorbate and isinglass?

I would use something on the fruity side such as a Reisling to stay in general character with the Symphony. Don't go overboard on price, but you want something that you would enjoy drinking.

Sounds good! I'll pick up a couple of bottles, 1 for the carboy and 1 forus to try. Also going to pick up a shiraz to go with the beef stew and fresh bread I'm making today. It's going to get nasty up here today, so it's a good day for doing some other things I enjoy.

Latest posts

Back