I need help! (Foodies)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like low effort, high reward cooking/baking and my friend's grandmother's Cuban flan recipe is just that...
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
4 eggs
1/2 tsp (cap full-ish) vanilla
1/2 cup of sugar (a bit more if you like the sauce)

1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2) Separate eggs and add egg yolks to sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Mix well with electric mixer.
Mix in egg whites a bit at a time.
3) Melt sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir with a wooden or high temp rated silicone spoon. Once melted, pour into a 9-in pie pan and whirl until the bottom is evenly covered
4) Pour milk/egg mixture, through a mesh strainer, into pie the pan
5) Put pie pan in water bath and place into the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes.

Flan is ready when a test toothpick comes out clean. (Flan will seem a bit jello-like until it sets). Leave on a cooling rack until cool, then cover and place in the fridge.

To serve, take a knife around the edge of the pie pan to loosen the flan, then flip flan onto a flat plate (with a lip that can catch the caramel sauce_.

Hope you enjoy!

Dave, I made this in a slow cooker or crockpot and its very tasty. We put it over rice. I'm not sure this is what you are looking for?

2-3 large boneless chicken breasts
1 - black beans 15 oz can (drain the juice off)
2 - can sweet corn 15 oz can (do not drain juice off)
1- Rotel tomatoes 10 oz can. (do not drain juice off)
1 - package of Ranch dressing mix (dry powder)
½ package of taco seasoning (dry powder)
1 - brick of cream cheese
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder

add all ingredients to the crockpot and let cook low heat for 6 hrs or until the chicken can be shredded ... enjoy! This is one of my new favorites
I can't follow a recipe, and I don't have a slow cooker. 2 hours from frozen to table, and mighty tasty.

I have a stocked pantry and had everything on hand, but I seared the chicken, added onion, and I like hot and cold so I added some fresh veggies to add contrast. Leftovers for days, though!

Thanks Scott.

PXL_20230329_021005631.jpg
PXL_20230329_020959698.jpg
PXL_20230329_021317786.jpg

, or advanced dinner ideas/ recipes I am looking for things I haven't made, . . . things I have never heard of
ok another really like with fresh salmon is a copy of a tamarind curry with US ingredients.
Curry: half can of apple concentrate, 1/4 C lime juice, 1T of better than bouillon mushroom base, 1/4 T ginger- heat then thicken with a waxy starch as tapioca flour or waxy rice. This is drizzled on a salmon fillet.
Salmon needs to be never frozen for good texture. Skin the salmon > sear one side on highest heat about 2 min (lightly browned) > cover and let the salmon “sweat” ten min > flip salmon and sear reverse side on highest heat again about 2 min > cover and sweat ten min > transfer to a serving platter and drizzle curry on top.

the “I Hate Pumpkin Pie” recipe mentioned above:
FDE02A4B-ECDF-43D4-82A9-DA829001FA48.jpeg
1) cook and thicken a squash with orange concentrate, sugar, lemon, a mix of starches
2) chop cranberry to about 4mm size > mix into thickened squash ! don’t over mix it should look like bright red spots > pour mix into a pie crust (waiting pie plate) > cook in a hot oven till crust is done.
the filling makes a really good pudding by itself, I love to lick out the pan it’s cooked in

Last edited:
Good job .... hope you enjoyed! Do you have an Instant Pot?
I was told I was allowed to add it into my rotation. That is a gold star around here. 😄

I don't have an instant pot, been considering one (pressure canner). I want a sous vide, and that is half the cost of the instant pot that has a sous vide setting and 13 others. Homemade canned beans... MMM! This is as far as I have gotten with the thought process, though. :rolleyes:

Back in the day, my wife and I used to participate in a forum called the Daring Cooks. (There was also a parallel forum called the Daring Bakers). The premise was that every month one of the members would propose a recipe or cooking technique, then everyone would go off and make their version of it. No prizes or judging or anything, just the fun of making something new.

There were contributors from all over the world, which made things interesting - what is prosaic in one country might be truly exotic in another. Over the course of 4-5 years we got to try many recipes that we'd never have otherwise encountered. Some of these were one-offs, whereas others made it into our regular rotation.

Sadly, the DCs closed down several years ago - the organizer died unexpectedly, and although others kept it going for a while it gradually died out. But we kept a blog to record our Daring Cooks efforts (as well as a few of our other other culinary adventures), so perhaps there might be some things of interest to you there. (We also made an index page which may or may not be complete...)

Back in the day, my wife and I used to participate in a forum called the Daring Cooks. (There was also a parallel forum called the Daring Bakers). The premise was that every month one of the members would propose a recipe or cooking technique, then everyone would go off and make their version of it. No prizes or judging or anything, just the fun of making something new.

There were contributors from all over the world, which made things interesting - what is prosaic in one country might be truly exotic in another. Over the course of 4-5 years we got to try many recipes that we'd never have otherwise encountered. Some of these were one-offs, whereas others made it into our regular rotation.

Sadly, the DCs closed down several years ago - the organizer died unexpectedly, and although others kept it going for a while it gradually died out. But we kept a blog to record our Daring Cooks efforts (as well as a few of our other other culinary adventures), so perhaps there might be some things of interest to you there. (We also made an index page which may or may not be complete...)
That sounds like a ton of fun. I would love to be involved in something like that.

Thanks for sharing the blog. I had a quick look through and it looks like a great source for out of the box ideas. I will share anything I make!

For me, chicken cutlets are a comfort food. It was a rarity when I was growing up -- we raised our own chickens so meals were typically what was done with a whole or cut up chicken. Boneless breast or thighs were rare.

The other day I purchased buttermilk to make biscuits, and yesterday was thinking of what to do with the remainder of the 2 quarts. So I looked up recipes, and found several for buttermilk chicken. I sort-of combined several recipes and made a very simple dish.

https://food.bkfazekas.com/2023/03/buttermilk-chicken-cutlets/
Some of the recipes called for making buttermilk gravy, which I didn't do, but will probably do so next time.

Latest posts

Back