WineXpert WE Selection Australian Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the chard got a little pukie last night. Foam came thru the airlock. Ran down the side of the carboy and was thick, paste-like and light brown this morning... Cleaned up and I can see sediment now collecting at the bottom.

Last edited:
More sediment collecting at the bottom (looks a little like sand) and the airlock is still showing signs of life. No more puke. These are all good things.

Will check it again next weekend - do an SG and Temp check. Then, if I'm already down to 0.994 or below, move on to KMeta, fining agents, degassing and placing the carboy in a spot where it can go completely undisturbed for another week or so.

Current readings -

SG: 0.992

Temp: 72*

We're ready to move on to the next step on Sunday.

Taste is crisp, citric and fizzy. Definitely going to need to vigorously degas.

Thoughts on adding oak in the carboy for bulk aging?

Last edited:
I personally like oaked Chards, but some prefer only crisp unoaked ones. (I like them both, they are like two different wines.) If I were you, I think I would try commercial bottles of oaked and unoaked side by side, and try to decide which I prefer.

Conventional wisdom is that the oak powder in primary only serves to provide sacrificial tannins. The idea is that they get "eaten up" during fermentation instead of the natural tannins in the must. So, you really aren't expected to get any oaky goodness from oak dust in primary.

I put oak in my recent chard, for a shorter amount of time than a red, and it is really good. I had a light hand because I didn't want to overwhelm the fruit and vanilla flavors.

I put oak in my recent chard, for a shorter amount of time than a red, and it is really good. I had a light hand because I didn't want to overwhelm the fruit and vanilla flavors.

I was planning 2 months in carboy w the oak, then in the bottle for this one. Figured that should be enough time.

What oak is best for a chard? I was thinking French Medium, but am now thinking American or French light toast. I have about a week to mull this over...

Latest posts

Back