WineXpert WE Selection Australian Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ot: Speaking of bottling, did you get a chance to bottle a batch with your new floor corker? I'm just itching to use mine. Looks like my Orchard Breezin' Green Apple delight is ready to bottle this weekend. I told people at work that it would be ready quickly. I think the natives are getting restless. :ft

I think my wife thought it was some sort of torture device.

I see it as allowing me never to lose my temper bottling wine device. I know how frustrating hand capping beer bottles can be, can't imagine hand corking a wine bottle.

I think my wife thought it was some sort of torture device.

I see it as allowing me never to lose my temper bottling wine device. I know how frustrating hand capping beer bottles can be, can't imagine hand corking a wine bottle.

So my wife comes down to the wine room and sees the corker... Conversation that ensued:

Hey, what's that?

A Portuguese Floor Corker...

When did you get that?

What do ya mean, it's been there for weeks.

Really?

Geeze, yes, really... You don't notice anything.

Okay, how's the wine coming?

(Yes!)

Last edited:
Progress report.

At the last racking, I dropped 2oz. of oak chips in with the wine (loose). The chips get wine-logged and sink to the bottom. Very entertaining.

The wine is so clear, I can see everything - chips, sediment - perfectly. I'm fighting the temptation of racking and bottling (I don't have all the bottles I want for this batch anyway, so it's not much of a struggle).

It looks awesome and I can't wait to give it a taste.

Get some of those cheap Nissley bottles over at Scotzins and soak overnight, the labels fall right off. Then clean and you're ready to bottle.

Just trying to be an enabler.

Well, you put a lot of effort into that wine, so I don't think trying to bottle it using a specific bottle is being snobbish. Not like you aren't going to be able to reuse those bottles in the future. I always suggest to people that I give wine to that if they return the bottle, they will eventually get more wine. If not, they are off the list.

Well, you put a lot of effort into that wine, so I don't think trying to bottle it using a specific bottle is being snobbish. Not like you aren't going to be able to reuse those bottles in the future. I always suggest to people that I give wine to that if they return the bottle, they will eventually get more wine. If not, they are off the list.

Exactly! When I make wine that I intend on giving away (like for a Christmas gift for coworkers), I might consider something different. But, even then, I think presentation is part of the experience. Good wine deserves no less.

I recently took two cases of empties and placed them in a tub filled with hot water and oxyclean green. I'm going to let them soak over a few days and proceed to clean them up from there. Shouldn't take much to get them in shape for use.

Last edited:
Eight days in and the wine looks amazing. A bit acidic in taste, but it has all the characteristics of a something we will really enjoy.

The oak is completely sunk at this point. Time is my friend. I will be patient. I promise.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1430222114.620622.jpg

All you need are a few plants and some tropical fish and you've got yourself a great fish tank. (for some reason the oak on the bottom looked like rocks at the bottom of a tank, that's what happens to the mind when too much wine is ingested on a daily basis)

All you need are a few plants and some tropical fish and you've got yourself a great fish tank. (for some reason the oak on the bottom looked like rocks at the bottom of a tank, that's what happens to the mind when too much wine is ingested on a daily basis)

I "thiefed" a little out the other day and it is crystal clear. It's only sitting to get as much out of the 2 oz. of oak as I can. If sinking to the bottom means the oak is done, I may want to add more.

Jim,

I have a oak spiral in a concord I made. It sunk to the bottom within a week. Brad over at LHBS says it only takes about 6 weeks to extract all the woody goodness from a spiral and much less for the chips, but he didn't quantify "much less", so just keep on sampling.

Jim,

I have a oak spiral in a concord I made. It sunk to the bottom within a week. Brad over at LHBS says it only takes about 6 weeks to extract all the woody goodness from a spiral and much less for the chips, but he didn't quantify "much less", so just keep on sampling.

I may go get some more... Or cubes... Or a spiral.

Oh, at the LHBS in Lemoyne, they're getting in a different 6 gal carboy since Better Bottle seems to have screwed the pooch.

When are the new carboys due in? Hopefully soon.

You know, we could always buy a vacuum pump, and stick with glass carboys.

They have a decent selection of spirals. They are to the right when you come in the door on the floor of the second isle...come in, immediately turn slightly to the right and look down. They are list price, as usual, but no shipping since we pick them up.

The one I got was an Insfusion Spiral - American white oak light. Figure I'll get toastier as I figure out what I like and don't like.

They just ordered some at the beginning of the week, and I think they get their deliveries on Wednesdays. I'd say give them a call. I need one more carboy to start my merlot kit (rather not wait until on opens up in a month).

I'm going over tomorrow anyway after work. Can't get enough of that traffic in Lemoyne on a Friday. Maybe I'll have to stop for some fish at the Farmers Market for the kids. Too bad it isn't an "r" month or I'd get some clams.

Latest posts

Back