WineXpert WE Selection Australian Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started this kit tonight. Nice set up and good directions. 16L of juice and concentrate. Oak chips. Standard stuff otherwise.

The directions say to keep the primary at 72-74*. This is a bit tighter tolerance than the RJS Cabernet (which was 68-78*).

OG 1.09. It's taken up residence next to the Cabernet in the secondary.

Yes, I've official lost my mind.

Last edited:
In the next day or two you should hear the delightful sizzle of robust fermentation. Man, I love this kit!

BC

My wine room is about 62-64 degrees (no heat vent in this basement room). So, I'm splitting the heating pad between the Cab in the secondary and this on in the primary to keep the temp 70-72*.

Wrapped the two containers to better distribute heat.

Can't wait for the magic to start.

Last edited:
Update... Thump thump thump. It's going pretty well.

I peeked in the primary. Lots fizz going on and the oak chips are floating at the top. Will take a look see tonight before bed, check temp and tuck it in for the night.

Not unusual. It starts off cool/slow, but at the peak, will be very active and warm. It'll settle back down in a few days. But unless you're dropping below the upper 60's, I wouldn't worry about blankets and/or a heating pad.

You're right, Boatboy24, I checked the primary last night to get stats on the project. No heating pad and the temp was still 78-80 degrees. Had no idea fermentation made that much heat. But, apparently it does.

SG is down to 1.045, which translates to about 6% ABV so far. Instructions say to move it once the SG drops to 1.010. I guess it finishes in the next step, down to 0.994 or less. Going to be a busy Easter weekend.

So here we are, 4 days later. Primary is about 76* with an SG of about 1.035.

Things are chugging along nicely. With any luck, moving day is sometime this weekend.

It will start to quiet down now. So don't get worried if the pace seems to get slower. Patience, young grasshopper...

Today's check up. SG : 1.025; temp 78. That works out to nearly 9% alcohol. Just awesome.

I asked the WE CSR about the spiking temp caused by active fermentation. She said, no worries... All part of the plan.

The WE directions say to move to a secondary container once the wine gets to an SG of 1.010. Others say, keep it in the primary, stir and ferment till done at 0.992-ish. Either way seems fine to me. Though, keeping it in the primary container allows more time with the oak.

Last edited:
Checked in this morning.

SG 1.008.

Temp 75*.

Still working. I'm going to leave it in the primary for a couple more days and work on both wines at the same time.

I can wait.

(Just need to keep saying that to myself).

Moved to a secondary container today (PET carboy). Waited until all the oak was sitting at the bottom.

SG is about 1.004; temp a steady 75*.

The wine is very cloudy.

Instructions say to leave it undisturbed for 10 days. SG should be below 0.996 by then. Hopefully, some of the cloudiness will settle out. This kit didn't say to add anything like the cab did. I'm guessing the next 10 days is all about finishing fermentation and letting some junk settle to the bottom.

Is a thick head normal or do I have something to be concerned with??

Don't worry about the thick head. At this stage, there is a ton of CO2 in that wine as a result of the fermentation process. Just think of it as the wine blowing off a little steam after a lot of hard work. ;)

Latest posts

Back