WALDO"S PORT..ACT II

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Waldo,

Have you tried making port from your Blackberry? I opened up a bottle I've had bottled for about 4 months and was surprized at how little of the blackberry flavor survived. Very heavy brandy flavor, but not much on the blackberry.

Hopefully after awhile longer the flavor will come back if the brandy subsides to it.

In my ports and sherries I start soaking the fruit I am using in the wine in everclear. To much brandy will over-power the taste of fruits so I use flavored everclear. The higher the proof of the foritfying liquor the less you have to use to get to your target abv. The less you use the better the fruit flavors will survive. Plus by flavoring the everclear it will add flavor of the fruit you are making the wine with!

Pete

Paul........ I mean Pete
smiley36.gif

Thats what I did with unflavored Moon shine that was 199.98 proof, Acccording to the people who make it, thats .02 % lower than Ethanol.

I thought about flavoring it, but after I throu out the skins from the blackberries. If I make another (blueberry) thats what I plan on doing. Ferment on the skin, then put the skins in a pint of the moon shine to flavor while waiting for the port to clear.

Back in the day, I had a friend that I made at a former job that used
to make moonshine. He was straight fomm Romania and he made Plum
moonshine that would knock your socks off but it was extremely
tasteful. You could actually drink it, not just take a sniff and run
away. Boy I wish I could get a hold of him now to learn that. I had 4
beers and 1 Dixie cup of that and I was on cloud 9.

I just talked to my buddy who got me this stuff, it's 99.8%, not 199.8, sorry.

And they make it flavored as well but you can hardly taste it. I got the peach last year and if you didn't know it was peach, you'd thought it just had a bad taste........ course, if you knew it was peach you knew it tasted bad..........

The plain is good ad can be flavored to ones liking. After the Blackberry port and the little lady of the house finding out where I hide it, I have about 1/2 a gallon left.

I have only made one gallon of the Blackberry Port pete and it retained the flavor of the blackberries nicely. I will let you know more about it in maybe a year fom now
smiley2.gif

I racked my Port off the sediment whenI got home this evening.
rackingport.jpg

I had told Sang this evening that I was going to do this in the morning but I decided to go ahead and get it done since I already had everything ready. I did add another bottle of the Brandy during racking. What you see in the gallon carboy is some ofthe Brandy. And as with all my winemaking steps, at each one I have to have a taste
smiley17.gif

glassofport.jpg

The Port is clearing nicely and is .......well.........very yummy !!!
I mentioned earler in the post that I had told sang I was going to rack the Port in the morning. It was during a conversation I had with him personally as I was very privelaged and honored that he and his very lovely wife dropped by work this evening and presented me with two bottles of his Reisling Ice Wine he had madeas well as 3 jars of homeade jellies. One was a Riesling, one was a Rasberry & Pepperand the other was a Mixed Berry and Pepper. I will let you know how the jellies were after Breakfast in the morning and will post on the Ice Wine New Years day. I want to use one bottle to bring in the New Year and the other I am going to save to celebrate the Razorbacks whooping Wisconsin....or console myself over the loss whichever the case may be. The Ice Wines are awesomely brilliant and clear which my picture does not exemplify properly.
icewines.jpg

THANKS AGAIN SANGWITCH !!!!Edited by: Waldo

paubin said:
In my ports and sherries I start soaking the fruit I am using in the wine in everclear. To much brandy will over-power the taste of fruits so I use flavored everclear. The higher the proof of the foritfying liquor the less you have to use to get to your target abv. The less you use the better the fruit flavors will survive. Plus by flavoring the everclear it will add flavor of the fruit you are making the wine with!

Pete

Great tip pete...I will definately give that a try on my next batch
smiley32.gif

My pleasure Waldo! I'm sorry it took so long for me to make it down there, but itwas wonderful to finally meet you in person. I look forward to getting together again soonand sharing a glass (or two).

I guess since you racked the port tonight I can sleep in tomorrow.
smiley17.gif

Looking forward to it sang....I unbottled and filtered the cork out of my Port Sunday morning and did not have time to rebottle all of it but I did re-bottle these two to give to my Daughter for her Birthday yesterday.
portbottled.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Looks great Waldo. I came across something interesting the other day. In Britain it is illegal for any wine to be called Port unless it came from Portugal. You have to call it "Port Type" Wine. Good thing you are from Arakansass (
smiley36.gif
)Waldo or you would be in trouble with the Authorities.

By the way I'm looking forward to your tutorial.

That looks scrumptious. Nice label. And a happy birthday to your daughter!

Hey Waldo,

Sure wish you lived closer to my Mom and Dad. The live about the same distance NE of Little Rock (in Beebe) as you liveSWof Little Rock. I love port wine and would live to try your when it is ready. I have a port kit on my wish list and will make one someday.
Don

Thanks all and Scuba if you pm me your address there may be a bottle of perfume samples show up one day soon

ScubaDon - I went to a wedding in Beebe last weekend. Did you grow up there?

Waldo, I may need to swing by the next time I hear a cork pop out your way!

Come on down sang...
Things be a hopping
and them corks be a popping !!!
Got all the neighbors a moaning
And them yeasties be a foaming
Got carboys here, got carboys there
And wine bottles are strewn about everywhere
I shore aint fancy, my china aint fine
But I dang shure got some "Fine Vine Wine"
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts