WALDO"S PORT..ACT II

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked and stabilized my Port yesterday with an ending SG of 1.020 which I calculate gave me an ABV of around 14.4%. I fortified with Paul Masson "Grand Amber" Brandy which had an ABV of 40% and will have to let Masta or someone else who knows how tohelp me calculate what my ABV will now be on my Port.

waldosportracked122306.jpg

I treated the Port with Super-Kleer KC and within one hour I had a good settling of sediment already evident.

The boquet was elusive of any definate characteristics yet seductive in that it kept drawing the nose back to the glass and inviting you to try and detect its aromas. I was quite pleased with the tasting and detected a spiciness, a rich chocolate and a bit of smokey flavor along with the taste of the Black Currant myriad of flavors. It had a nice finish in that long after the swallow you were still detecting different fruits and spices. I will rack it off the sediment after Christmas and add my Medium Toast French Oak (6oz) to it.Edited by: Waldo

Wow Waldo, 1.120, Is this the one that you thought was doomed from the Banana chips in the beginning? Looks great.

wade said:
Wow Waldo, 1.120, Is this the one that you thought was doomed from the Banana chips in the beginning? Looks great.
No wade this was the second round of my Port that is apparently turning out really good. The 1.120 finisshing SG was an oops. The ending SG was 1.020
smiley9.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Looking great Waldo and what is the volume of the Port and volume of 40% ABV brandy added?

masta said:
Looking great Waldo and what is the volume of the Port and volume of 40% ABV brandy added?

Sorry Masta..The Brandy was 1.75 Liter and the Port is 6 gallon

wade said:
That makes more sense to me! How dis the first batch turn out?
It is going to be a good wine wade. Not nearly as good as your Black Currant but it is definately going to be good.

Waldo, Waldo, Waldo... With that description you've already got my houth watering. Maybe it's too early in the day to drink port, but it's never too early to think of it. :)

Next time I have a wine to describe you have got the job! Its like poetry. I can almost taste it when I look at the picture!

The calculator shows adjusted SG of 16.35 % ABV

21.25L of 14.4% ABV and 1.75L of 40% ABV

Thanks Masta....Looks like I need to add more brandy then to reach my goal of 18%. About another 1.76L should get it close?

If it tastes so great now do you really want to change it just to reach a # in your head Waldo?

Waldo said:
Thanks Masta....Looks like I need to add more brandy then to reach my goal of 18%. About another 1.76L should get it close?

Yup throw another bottle in their ponder and it will be kick'in!

wade said:
If it tastes so great now do you really want to change it just to reach a # in your head Waldo?
For it to age properly and develop into what I am looking for the ABV is more than jujst a number in my head wade. It is very good now but potentially much better I am hoping.

Waldo said:
wade said:
For it to age properly and develop into what I am looking for the ABV is more than jujst a number in my head wade. It is very good now but potentially much better I am hoping.

Thanks Masta !!!

[/QUOTE]
For it to age properly and develop into what I am looking for the ABV is more than jujst a number in my head wade. It is very good now but potentially much better I am hoping.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion Waldo, it doesn't matter............

It doesn't last that long around here
smiley36.gif

So it needs the extra abv to age that much longer, Ok, now I understand. How long do you PLAN on aging?

Latest posts

Back