WALDO"S PORT..ACT II

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
appleman said:
Wow Santa, I mean Waldo, racked at 1.105. That's gotta be some potent stuff when it's done. It looks soooooooo gooooood I wanna taste it right now. I'll have to give that a try myself!

I think it is going to be a definate winner appleman. I am going to shoot for an ABV of 18-20%

Waldo,

What info do you have on the alcohol tolerance of the Wyeast product you used? I found one quote saying the tolerance was 14%.

Waldo...your wines look wonderful...
Does plum wine always seem cloudy to you???Will it clear on it's own??????...Is the cloudiness just a plum thing??????
You put so much fruit in your Port...it's going to be good no mater what you do to it.Did you put the Black Currant in a straining bag???? Or just add it to the must????

There is no fruit in the black currant for some reason. All the others that I've tried have fruits in them though.

NW,

I made a gallon of Purple Plum using canned plums and fresh mixed and the wine is crystle clear right now. It finished a bit sweet, but very good.

At the moment I am hesitating to order anything...it is so cold here and stuff arrives frozen....Friends sent a wreath made out of fresh Bay Leaves, some Artichokes and Avocados from California...everything was frozen stiff...
smiley19.gif
They sent it UPS 2 Day Express....but on the coldest 2 days we had...NO..it was colder yesterday...Seems too be warming up tonight and some snow on the way...
On the bright side...there is 4 to 6 inches of ice on the lakes....my honey is building a trailer for the fish house...life ain't so bad!!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

masta said:
Waldo,

What info do you have on the alcohol tolerance of the Wyeast product you used? I found one quote saying the tolerance was 14%.

You are correct Masta. The tolerance on the Port yeast is 14%. I will fortify with a good unflavored brandy ( any suggestions anyone on what brand)or maybe even everclear but I am leaning heavily towards Brandy.

Northern Winos said:
Waldo...your wines look wonderful...
Does plum wine always seem cloudy to you???Will it clear on it's own??????...Is the cloudiness just a plum thing??????
You put so much fruit in your Port...it's going to be good no mater what you do to it.Did you put the Black Currant in a straining bag???? Or just add it to the must????

Thanks NW.....The plum will clear eventually but it does take a while. There is still quite a bit of pulp in suspension right now. At next racking I will strain out as much of the pulp as I can.
The black currant has no solid fruit in it at all, it is pure concentrate. You are going to have to get a can of that and give it a try. I think you will love it. Will send you a sample as soon as it gets ready to bottle.
smiley2.gif

Thanks Waldo...but...we do not drink sweet wines...no offense......
When it warms up a bit around this neck of the woods and things won't arrive frozen.. I will order a Black Currant and Blackberry....I would like to make them into a dry red wine....Perhaps add two 500 mil bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate to each batch...use RC212....do you think that would work for a dry red wine????

It would probably work fine NW but for the Black Currant and to take it dry I thinkI might be inclined to use the Red Star Pasteur Red. It is recommended for full bodied Reds

Thanks Waldo...I'll give the Red Star Yeast Pasteur Red a try.....why would it be preferred over the RC 212??? Just curious...

NW, I think the two yeast are very similar. For a little more info on the RC-212:

This strain comes from the Burgundy region of France, and is a moderately quick, low foaming yeast. Achieves full extraction in red wines. Stabilises color and tannin throughout fermentation and aging. An emphasis on ripe berry, peppery/spicy and fruit aromas is noted. This is the best strain to use in Pinot Noir or other full bodied read wines. Tolerance up to 14%. Ferments between 59 and 86 degrees.

I have 2 cans coming soon of black currant so I may try one of each and see if there is any difference. I think either would do splendidly.
smiley20.gif

Thanks Appleman....Let us know how that works out....
I am getting ready to bottle Raspberry/Red Grape made with RC 212...anxious to get a good taste of it. It is very young, but I need the carboy to start something else.

Boy, everbody's doing the black currant now. I should call Vintners Harvest and ask for commission.
smiley36.gif

smiley4.gif
ok...i fudged.....I drew off a small sample of the still fermenting Port last night and added about a 1/4 tsp of everclear to it and .........WOW!!!!!

Northern Winos said:
Thanks Waldo...I'll give the Red Star Yeast Pasteur Red a try.....why would it be preferred over the RC 212??? Just curious...

From my personal experience NW the 212 left a bit of the yeast trail in the taste of the wine where the Redwas more neutral. The red also seemed to do a quicker job of doing what is was intended to do and then getting out of the way. In other words, it was a quicker, more agressivefermenter, sucked all thegoodies out of my Muscadines quickly which allowed for a deeper, richer color and nose

Worked on a label design for my Port this evening......Not sure yet .

meowportlabel.jpg

Also did the label for my Campbells Early Grape that I bottled this weekend. Wasn't sure where to post it as I had no thread for this wine so I just chunked it in here..
smiley36.gif

campbellsearlylabel.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back