WALDO"S PORT..ACT II

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I stuck with my original recipe with no variations except I used dried red bananas instead of chips. Following is a picture of the ingrediants used followed by the original recipe. The only difference was my starting SG was higher at 1.130
portingrediants.jpg

RECIPE FOR WALDO'S PORT WINE

1 can Vinters Harvest Black Current Fruit Base

2 16 oz Bottles of Red Grape Concentrate

12 lbs. Sugar

1 lb. dried (red) banana's (unglazed)

6 oz dried elderberries

1/2 lb. golden raisins (chopped)

4 Tbsp. Acid Blend

4 Tsp Yeast Nutrient

2 Tsp Yeast Energizer

6 Campden Tablets

Water to 6 Gallon

1 Pkg Wyeast Portwine Liquid yeast

Mixed all the ingrediants except for yeast in primary and let it sit overnight ( yahoooo, no oily mess from the bananas) and then pitched the yeast to it. This yeast is specifically for making Port Wine so I am anxious to see how it performs.

The results from fermentation after 12 hrs was very promising
portfermenting113906.jpg

I gave it a good gentlestirring, punching down the strainer bags and when I got home this evening I had a very strong and activefermentation in progress.
portfermenting120106.jpg

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Waldo's Port is underway gang !!!!

WOW!!! Waldo that is looking great...it is just loaded with fruit, should be a very rich wine....Keep us Posted on it's progress.....
BTW...how are the other wines coming along????

Looking great Waldo and having that 125 ml activator yeast pack is nice to pitch lots of healthy yeast cells.

I really enjoythe pictures. Gives us just learning a visual look at the ingredients and what it should look like in your fermentor. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing Waldo.

Santa, where?

Looks great there bud. Oily mess hey....You have to watch out with banana chips from the supermarket as most are fried, not dryed. I found that out the hard way a number of years ago.

Pete

He's hiding in a suit and tie, calling himself Waldo.
smiley16.gif
Even Santa needs a hobby. The Benton, AR thing is just a cover becauseit seems like everyone, including Santa, stops at Wally World once ina while. He gets a big discount by going to the main office to get the gifts his elves won't make. You know, curling irons, George Forman Grills andthe Norelco razors we used to see Santa sledding on during the Rudolph Christmas special!
smiley4.gif

I believe, do you?
smiley31.gif

smiley25.gif
Question....When you use the Vintner's Harvest fruit wine bases in those 96oz tins....do you pour the whole thing in the primary, or do you put the stuff in a straining bag
smiley25.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Put stuff in straining bag for me, although the black currant contains no fruit in it.

Edited by: wadewade

wadewade said:
Put stuff in straining bag for me, although the black currant contains no fruit in it.

I was thinking about ordering a Black Currant and a Blackberry...want to make a dry red wine....was going to add some WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate to it too....

So, when you add the pulp to the straining bag do you squeeze it to to get the juice out before you take the first S.G. reading???

I do, because I dont like really strong wines so I dont want a really high SG.

Thanks for the info...haven't ordered anything yet....waiting for Santa to drop by so I can sweet talk him....Edited by: Northern Winos

Sweet talk him a little for me too. I need a carboy for the can of Raspberry I just bought.

The Port is merrily fermenting away. It has subsided somewhat and I will be transferring it to glass this evening as soon as I get a carboy freed up. Will be bottling my Apple/Rasberry and Campbells Early Grape.

Squeezed all the goodie I could out of the strainer bags, discarded them and racked the Port to carboy at an SG of 1.105. The foaming had quit entirely so I was comfortable at going ahead and transferring it to glass. I added 3 sticks of French Oak, Medium Toast, tasted the sample I had drawn out and just smiled !!!!
portracked120306.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, that plum looks really good to. I was going to make that awhile
ago but got sidetracked and did the pear instead. After the New year
I'm gonna have to try a plum.

Wow Santa, I mean Waldo, racked at 1.105. That's gotta be some potent stuff when it's done. It looks soooooooo gooooood I wanna taste it right now. I'll have to give that a try myself!

wadewade said:
Waldo, that plum looks really good to. I was going to make that awhile ago but got sidetracked and did the pear instead. After the New year I'm gonna have to try a plum.

I am going to ferment this one to dry wade and see how it is but will probably end up sweeting it just a little beforew bottling

Latest posts

Back