Other Vintner's Harvest Fruit Base Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
I plan to start some wine from Vintner's Harvest fruit bases very soon. I have a can of Black Currant, and a can of Cherry.

I am also thinking of trying Elderberry, Strawberry, Blackberry, Blueberry, and Cranberry.

Please tell me about your experiences with Vintner's Harvest. What have you tried, what did you like, and what didn't you like? Please include any blending of wines you tried. For example, I plan to blend some of the Cherry wine with some of the Black Currant wine, based upon a suggestion from someone. And I've read that Elderberry wine is excellent to blend in to some other wines.

Thanks in advance.

Chopper

Ive made the Cherry, Raspberry, Cranberry, Black Currant, and the Blackberry. The Cherry isnt the greatest but all the others are very good. havent mixed any though. I think they all need to be made to the 3 gallon recipe with the exception of the Black Currant which could be made to 5 and maybe the Cranberry also. Havent tried the Elderberry. dont even think about the Marionberry as they should be ashamed of themselvesw with that 1 unless I got a bum can!

Wade and Appleman,

How would the Black Currant do if made to the 3 gallon recipe? That's what I had planned, but would it be too strong?

I made it very recently to 3 gallons and even though its still young won best fruit wine in a Ct. comp!
smiley32.gif
glad i made a dble batch!

I am thinking about mixing a couple of VH bases. Any suggestions on what 2 would make a good wine? Also, could I mix 2 cans and make 5 gallons of wine or would that make it too strong? I wasalsothinking about using the Strawberry recipe listed on the FVW recipe page and cutting up some fresh bananas to go with it. Would 2 cans of Strawberry be too strong for 5 gallons? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Up to now, I have only used kits and want to try something new. Thanks again, John.

each can has a 3 and 5 gallon recipe so 2 cans to a 5 gallon recipe might be too strong but 2 cans per a 6 gallon would be right or you can hold some juice back to sweeten the batch back afterwards. As far as the strawberry batch goes, the bananas would be a nice touch. As far as which ones to blend, Peach/Apricot goes nice, Raspberry/Apple, Cranberry/Apple, Elderberry/Blackberry. There are so many possibilities!

Thanks Wade for the help. All of those possibilities sound great. I'll have to let you know which one I try, John.

Back