Other Vintners Best - fruit wine base (fruit juice)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO the important thing when making any wine is understanding what your base materials are, and having an idea of what you want to produce, and figuring out before you start, how to get from the base materials to the goal.

With Vintners Best, the first ingredient on the label is apple or pear juice. It's not pure "whatever is on the label", so it's not going to make the same wine as 100% concentrate. This is not bad, just different.

Just as important, this concentrate is designed to be reconstituted to 5 US gallons (19 liters). Diluting it more makes a weaker tasting wine. Thinking "well, I need just a bit more volume" is not a good idea. When making any wine, I generally add things, not take away (too much dilution is "taking away" in this context, as it dilutes body and flavor).

My last time with VB, I made Elderberry, which I extended to 26.5 liters (7 US gallons) with 1 liter each red and white grape concentrate. At bottling time I lightly backsweetened and added glycerin to improve body and mouthfeel. My target audience is my DIL and her mom, and they are very happy with the wine. It's not quite as heavy as what I'd make for myself, but I like it and drink it on occasion, so I hit my goal.

Scott (@Shurt1073) used a flavored concentrate to bump up the flavor in an Island Mist kit. That's a good way to add to any wine, although it's a good idea to test on a small amount of wine, as some flavorings my impart an artificial flavor.

Ditto with food coloring to improve a weakly colored wine, as it makes the wine look odd. I have pocketed a tip from @BigDaveK, so the next time I make a wine like Strawberry I'm going to add a couple oz of hibiscus flowers to add color.

Latest posts

Back