Vinbrite Gravity Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
Does the Vinbrite gravity filter, or any filtering systems, remove yeast? I have read ads stating they do. And, if they do, doesn't that negate the need to add sorbate?

I am not familar with this filter but yeast is in the air. You can remove it but if you do not add sulfite and sorbat, they yeast can re-inhibit the wine.

Well, I would think not. I assume you are looking for a sterile filtration which means to remove all of the yeast cells.

The pads I have found online say they are .4 to .6 micron. By definition sterile filtration is at .45 micron, so these pads will let some yeast cells through.

Most home winemakers do not bother with sterile filtration. It's just not worth the expense. If you are really bent on it though search for the enlomatic, I believe they have a .45 micron absolute filter cartridge that will sterile filter your wine.

However, if your goal is to just prevent re-fermentation then use the standard sorbate / sulphite combo and leave the filtering to just improve the appearance of your wines.

My understanding is that the filter pads determine if the yeast is removed not the filtering equipment. I do not know if there are pads for the Vinbrite that are fine enough to remove yeast.

BuonVino's #3 filter pads, although called "sterile" are apparently not fine enough to reliably remove ALL yeast.

Personally, I wouldn't trust filtering to remove all of the yeast.

Steve

Thanks all for the info. I'll just try filtering for clarity. My wife will kill me if I buy any more gadgets.

Can you hook this up to Wade's vacuum transferring system, like plumbing into the tubing between the 2 carboys?

Not the vinbrite filters. I have one and like it, but for filtering while racking I went with a whole house filter from Valley Vintner. This is made for use like that.

You can hook it up but you would blow a hole right through the filter pad in a heartbeat, really!!!!!! I have blown holes in the pads a few times just using an auto siphon and even once orally!!!! Cmon, there has to be some comments on that one, Dan............

Wade, um, wow. Really? A little into the wine making? Nope...not gonna say no more.

Wade I thought that was a very intelligent and honest answer from personal experience no less. I have nothing but the utmost respect for your replies and see no reason to show anything else. The best thing about this forum is the fact that we can ask and you'll tell! :h

You can hook it up but you would blow a hole right through the filter pad in a heartbeat, really!!!!!! I have blown holes in the pads a few times just using an auto siphon and even once orally!!!!

Um, Thats what she said...

Latest posts

Back