Valley Brew Vineyard!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both scenarios you described with some canes larger than 1/4 of an inch and growth near the top and some with very small canes and growth near the bottom. I had lots of leaf damage last year from Japanese Beatles and will work harder to keep this in check.

Here are a few pictures:

A Cab Franc slacker with very small cane and growth near the bottom

20070529_171430_052907_1_Medium.JPG

The biggest Cab Franc with nice size cane and growth at the top

20070529_171629_052907_2_Medium.JPG

One of the Traminette with fairly good size cane and growth near the top

20070529_171922_052907_4_Medium.JPG

The worst of all vines a Traminette with only a small amount of growth near the bottom...but I hope it will make it. Weeds near the vines are bigger!

20070529_172141_052907_5_Medium.JPG

It would probably be best to trim the small vines back to the bottom growth. That will force it to grow faster. It should have more time to mature this year and be better for it next year. I would let the larger vines grow unchecked except to trim off all but possibly one shoot at the bottom. That will force growth at the top. This year should get the vine bigger(thicker) and ready to bear a small crop next year.

Good luck masta, I hope when I start next year I dont have too many
problems or Im going to need applemans phone #. Thats the red
phone(emergency).
smiley36.gif

How about some updated pics Masta? It would be nice to see how they are doing there.Are the vines a vigorous grower in their second year or do they continue on slow. My Cab Franc and Traminette I planted this year are the smallest varieties out of the 8 varietiesI planted. Some vines in other varieties are 7 feet tall and the biggest CF and Tram are about 2 feet.

I'll second that Masta! And only to get a little action on this part of the forum! I know you're busy with your new fresh-juice -- interesting reading by the way -- but a picture will show us how your vinyard did this summer -- between May and now, anyway!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back