Valley Brew Vineyard!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge today and ordered some grape vines. I have been thinking about it for a while and decided it was time to get some started.

Ordered 6 Cabernet Franc which are grafted to hardy northern root stock. Also ordered 6 Concord seedless grape vines for eating and making jelly!

Where you do your shopping from? I am ready to get a few as well.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

One nice thing about grapes, they are easy to propagate. When you prune, use the cuttings for new plants. I'm looking at the Cynthiana and the Cab Franc. Both, I'm told, are good candidates for Northern climates.

Some coincidence!
I, too, am ordering tomorrow. I'm really restricted to the really hardy
northern hybrids developed for the far northern states. I have quite a few
trees to clear from my vineyard-to-be, and soil improvement to do. It will
be a labor of love, I think.

Looking to buy (reds) Frontenac, Landot Noir, Marechal-Foch, (whites)
Frontenac Gris and Louise Swenson. Yield at most maybe a gallon per
vine, I should put in about thirty plants for our needs.

I'll be ordering from Northeastern Vine Supply in Poulteney, VT
http://www.nevinesupply.com/

More to come later, I'm sure.

pkcook said:
One nice thing about grapes, they are easy to propagate. When you prune, use the cuttings for new plants. I'm looking at the Cynthiana and the Cab Franc. Both, I'm told, are good candidates for Northern climates.

I am looking at the Cynthiana as well for here in Louisiana, from what I had learned thus far, it is the only variety outside of a Muscadine that is disease resistant to Pierce Disease which is prevalent here. Any other variety will get some type of mildew disease and Pierce Disease here. Cynthiana makes some very very good wine. As close to Cabernet Sauvignon I will ever come close to.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Okay, I'm jealous of all of you!
smiley19.gif
I refuse to plant grapes until we move southward! I want to have as few things as possible tying us here, and grapes would certainly do that!

But to all of you, congratulations and I look forward to living the Grape Life, vinecariously!
smiley36.gif

Im with you PWP, very jealous
smiley19.gif

I have enough room in my yard right now to throw in a couple of Muscadine vines (5 total). Im putting a 4 foot chain link fence around my yard in a year or so, and was thinking of taking the one side of the yard that gets the most sun and instead of butting in 6 foot post (2 feet of which will bein the ground), I was thinking of putting in 8 foot post so I can creat a Gazebo of sorts and plant some vines there. Has anyone experienced vines growing on a chain link fence? I don't see whu this wouldn't work. Then again, The most plants I could probably get would be a dozen...... Would it be worth it?

jobe05 said:
Im with you PWP, very jealous
smiley19.gif

I have enough room in my yard right now to throw in a couple of Muscadine vines (5 total). Im putting a 4 foot chain link fence around my yard in a year or so, and was thinking of taking the one side of the yard that gets the most sun and instead of butting in 6 foot post (2 feet of which will bein the ground), I was thinking of putting in 8 foot post so I can creat a Gazebo of sorts and plant some vines there. Has anyone experienced vines growing on a chain link fence? I don't see whu this wouldn't work. Then again, The most plants I could probably get would be a dozen...... Would it be worth it?

Thats how I was planning on planting a few to get started. The back portion of our future building site has a chain link fence, I am gonna put a couple vines there. I remember when I was young we had a fence row that had Concord vines all through it. There were literally hundreds of pounds of grapes produced along that fence row. I just want enough vines to be able to make 3-4 batches a year.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

pkcook said:

From what I have read, the Norton/Cynthiana vine is very tough to propagate. Here is a link to the most recent article I read on this grape. The last paragraph was where I have read this.

The Norton/Cynthiana is the grape I am most interested in. I have drank wines from Muscadine and Cynthiana and I prefer the Cynthiana hands down every time. It truly makes a great wine reminiscent of the Cabernet or the Merlot.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

PolishWineP said:
Okay, I'm jealous of all of you!
smiley19.gif
I refuse to plant grapes until we move southward! I want to have as few things as possible tying us here, and grapes would certainly do that!

But to all of you, congratulations and I look forward to living the Grape Life, vinecariously!
smiley36.gif

All I can say is research the locations you want to move to closely if you wish to experience vineyard life. The climate and soil types can limit you.

Where I live (South Louisiana) we have wonderful year round weather but the humidity makes any vines here prone to Downy Mildew and Pierces Disease. We do have a few vineyards around here that produce some fantastic wines. Most wines are either Muscadine or Blueberry. A couple vineyards produce the Cynthiana and the Blanc du Bois with great success. All of the vineyards are very close to me so they are of the same climate and soil type. North Louisiana is different in both aspects.

I would love to be able to grow Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah or Merlot as these are my favorite wines but alas, even though I have mild year round weather, they will never survive the disease or mildew short of standing 24 hour guard over the vines with a constant attention paid to them. We do have a vineyard here that successfully grows Cabernet's but it is a very labor intensive feat for them.

So, if you are fine with Muscadine, Norton or Blueberry wine, come on down, We love nice people and have plenty of things to do and hey, I need some local Vintner buddies!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

MASTA:

One thing I would suggest. I wanted a vinyard last summer, and ran to a local greenhouse that orders in a limited number of merlot, cab sav, and pinot (along with others) grapes. Since they were going fast. (read: very fast). I bought myself six plants. I knew I had the room in my yard, I just had to remove some pyrocantha. Till the dirt, put up some trellis, and plant the vines.

Well, in retrospect (after renting a stump grinder and a tiller) I realized I should have read the first chapter in "Vines to Wines). They suggest if you want a vinyard spend the first year getting it ready and plant the next year. This would have been the best advice I could have gotten.
I killed three of the plants and stunted the other three. I felt hurried and rushed, then a bit disapointed when it didn't work out like I had thought.

So if you've already ordered some plants. Get out there and start pushing some dirt around.... you'll be glad you did.

Good luck, make sure you take lots of pictures
smiley4.gif
(subtle hint)

Edited by: rshosted

FYI
Here is another great Site, especially interesting to Northern grape growers.
http://www.northernwinework.com/
The book Northern Winework by Tom Plocher and Bob Parke is wonderful, full of great information...Like From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox, but for the North. Lists Northern varieties of grapes and good information on the styles of wines you will achieve from hardy grapes.
Grapes do grow in the North, just got to plant the right ones...."bury the tender...let the tough hang" Some extra care and limited varieties, but worth the effort.
I was able to buy some hard to find Louise Swenson vines from the above author last year, as well as some Baltic Amber vines. The above authors did extensive studies in Northern Canada, Northern Europe and China.
*Doesn't look like they are listing any vines for sale this year. Louise Swenson is a hard to find hardy white wine grape...if anyone finds a source, please share.

Another source for vines and hardy fruit trees is,

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/
They are a small company specializing in organically grown fruit trees, some grape vines, and native fruit varieties. All are grown in Zone 3 in Northern New York State.The fruit trees I got from them are doing great, a bit smaller bare root trees, but transplant better, take off quicker. Good service...no 800# phone number and no credit cards, but the quality of their products are worth trying. They carry hard to find varieties and the prices are very reasonable.The packaging is great and shipped right on target for our zones planting dates...I highly recommend this company for bare root plants and trees.Edited by: Northern Winos

Excellent links everyone....Thanks

I know I have a lot of work to do to get ready for my vines but if our Winter weather continues like it has been I will be all set.

Today was beautiful 50 degrees and sunny so I got started on clearing the trees. I know this spot doesn't look like much but once I get it cleared out I will have full sun all day long.

2006-01-28_140946_Vineyard_012806.JPG

Masta...beautiful area you are clearing...so nice to see bare ground and something green, your trees must be budding???
Full sun is essential to growing grapes...but...air movement is equally vital. Planting on hills seems to be the norm, as is open field situations.
This will be a fun Thread to follow, watching everyones plans turn into reality.Seems we all have healthy appetites in late winter as we scan the catalogs and WebSites looking for our future gardens.
smiley1.gif

Don't be too disappointed when your vines arrive and are mere rooted cuttings, they just need a little T.L.C. If possible try to buy 2 year old bare root or potted plants, a better chance of survival.
Enjoy your ventures.
smiley4.gif

Smurfe,

Great article on the Norton. I'm going to locate some local growers to see what they recommend for this area. I only have room for a few plants and will likely stick with one breed.

Just curious, what type of soil conditions do most grape vines need, ie. wet, dry (well drained), alkaline, acidic? My back yard seems to stay pretty wet, especially during the winter.

Here is a great little handbook that you can print up...page 2 has the first info you need to consider. It is from the U of Wisconsin, but good information for everyone.
http://cecommerce.uwex.edu/pdfs/A1656.PDF
Also being as you are in Ohio...here is your Ohioline Webpage from your local USDA pages.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/index.htmlGo to the 'Search' and type in grapes and go from there.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1423.html

Each State has a USDA site with agriculture information just suited to your area, most sites have info on growing grapes in that State. Like here is a handbook form another area of the country, good reading for everyone.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/resources/winegrape/
Lots of info on the Web...
smiley1.gif
Have fun!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks NW,

I've been to the ohioline.osu.edu site and it has quite a bit of info. I'll check out the others.

Latest posts

Back