Ugh..broken hydrometers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas3019

Reaction score
So..this post is just to vent a little because you all are the only ones that can relate. Sunday, I broke my good hydrometer. Sucks..but not terrible. I have a little beer hydrometer to use in the meantime and ordered a new one with fast shipping. New one came today and wouldn't you know it I go to shake it off after cleaning it and it breaks too! And of course this is right at the start of my chilean wine right when I need it. Soo frustrating. Ok, rant over!

Jason, the only thing I can tell you is if you buy another one you'll break that one also. If you buy two more, you won't break them anymore. Just how it works. If you are ordering these on the internet, I'm sure shipping for two is about the same as one.

Hah, I'm sure you're right. The only good thing is I have amazon prime and midwest has them on there so shipping is free and fast. But at the rate my wine's going I'll probably have to take a trip to the LHBS. I don't like going there..I spend more money that way!

I always have kept an extra one as I usually broke one a year. Now I keep two extras and have not broken one in 4 years.

My record for broken hydrometers for a single vintage is 6.

My advise to not purchase 1 or two, get 6! I surfed the net for hours trying to find a brass hydrometer. I know they exist, but no one seems to have them for sale.

Dan, Do I remember correctly? Did you at one time post some pictures of some great PVC hydrometer cases that you made??

It would be very interesting to see how many hydrometers the members here go through... HMMMMMMM.. perhaps I will set up a poll.

Now you guys tell me! Broke my first one just a few month ago and only bought ONE replacement!
smilie.gif

My bad luck is with the thermometers - broke my second one , one day after I bought it. I ran water over it to rinse it went to return it to the primary and knocked it against the door frame. - just a little tap.
sheesh!

Also you have to measure the offset with the hydrometers. (check the reading with water) because the same reading from two of them may not be.

The wine store guy said certain customers are habitual repeat buyers. heh

My wife broke mine last year and a few months later I broke the new one. Does anyone not make a higher quality hydrometer that does not brake so easily?

My wife broke mine last year and a few months later I broke the new one. Does anyone not make a higher quality hydrometer that does not brake so easily?

Unbreakable certainly does not equate to quality. Although to get you half way there you could buy a plastic hydrometer jar over instead of a plastic one.

On the press pad I use plastic graduated cylinders and hydrometer jars but in the lab I use all glass.

I agree with the rest on the board. snapped my first one in half, then bought 2 and everything okay since....

Last fall I broke 3 hydrometers in a 2 week period went to my supplier bought 5 new ones and have yet to break another

Latest posts

Back