Broke my hydrometer, help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie Mel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped and broke my hydrometer the other day just as I was going to take a reading. Ordered new one which now is delayed in shipping. I have a batch of DB day 10 in primary. I removed the fruit bag and quit stirring a couple days ago. There is still some slight bubbling going on. Am I safe to wait 3 more days to check with hydrometer or should I go ahead and rack to secondary? My past two batches I racked on day 10 when SG was .988

I dropped and broke my hydrometer the other day just as I was going to take a reading. Ordered new one which now is delayed in shipping. I have a batch of DB day 10 in primary. I removed the fruit bag and quit stirring a couple days ago. There is still some slight bubbling going on. Am I safe to wait 3 more days to check with hydrometer or should I go ahead and rack to secondary? My past two batches I racked on day 10 when SG was .988
Go ahead and rack. To check fermentation activity, take a wine thief sample. When full, tilt the tube at about 45 degrees. Not critical! Check how many bubbles are slowly rising to the top. A small stream of small bubbles means things are getting close. I would say leave it for another week and recheck. By then, your new, shiny hydrometer will arrive. As stated above, wine is very forgiving. And fermenting is supposed to be a fun hobby. I wouldn't get bogged down in tiny details. My opinion.

Back