Troubled Carbernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmlucifer

Reaction score
Hi I just did some tests on my Cabernet Sauvignon the Brix is 25, T.A. .42, PH4.1. What's the best way to correct these numbers?

I would add some acid blend to bring it up

Are you sure about the Brix at 25? Make sure that is correct that seems awful high to me.

Are you sure about the Brix at 25? Make sure that is correct that seems awful high to me.
Just finished running the tests one more time. I even cooled the juice to the calibrated temperature of the hydrometer and still 25 Brix. Re ran the acids still very very close to my previous readings.

With wine from grapes only I like to add tartaric acid only. I try to get the ph to 3.6 on reds if they start out high on ph like yours is. If the TA is too high after primary fermentation you can try to cold stabilize the extra acid out later.

I like 24 brix and would say to dilute it down with acidified water. I would only use Tartaric acid myself and I wold strive for 3.55 but also not go any higher then .65 with TA

I like 24 brix and would say to dilute it down with acidified water. I would only use Tartaric acid myself and I wold strive for 3.55 but also not go any higher then .65 with TA
I thought of doing the very same thing but I could only do it tomorrow after I get home from the office that will be a full 30 hours without adding my yeast cause I have to buy some tartaric acid. Am I screwed?

Youll be fine, you did sulfite though right? I would get a good starter yeast going though so it will be rolling when ready.

Youll be fine, you did sulfite though right? I would get a good starter yeast going though so it will be rolling when ready.
Wade you don't know how welcoming those words are to me, yes I did sulfite. I'm using Lalvin BC212. The must temp is 62 degrees.

RC 212 will do a nice job but make sure you get those temps up to around 75 before adding the yeast or it will be a very slow start, good is=dea right now though to keep it cool since you have to wait. Any way you can set something up on a timer to be warmed up while your working tomorrow so it would be just about perfect when you get home or is your wife not working tomorrow? By the way, dont go nuts getting the ph in balance if you cant just try and get both #'s closer.

Latest posts

Back