Toping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to ask what you all think about using a commerce wine that is close to the wine that you are making. I would like to use it to top off my wine going into secondary instead of using water. I would hate to water my wine down. What do all of you think?

Thanks Roger

That's something I do when necessary. I usually over size batches such that I have a smaller bottle on the side for topping.

When I need more, I use an inexpensive commercial bottle to fill the space.

Once you have been at this awhile, you can also open a bottle of a prior batch.

If you are new to winemaking, as I am, and have limited carboys of varying size or stored similar wine, store bought wine is a good choice to top off with. Avoid using sterile water as it will only weaken the flavor.

I just topped up a 6 gallon kit batch of Wildberry White Zinfadel. I used a 1.5 liter bottle of Sutter Home White Zinfadel that I bought on sale for $6.99.
I tasted both before topping, and they were a good match. I had not yet added the f-pack when I did the tasting.
I was surprised that it took almost the entire 1.5 liters to top up. I completely misjudged how much I needed....glad I bought the bigger bottle:h
This was my second batch. The first batch I topped up with water, and I'm sorry I did it. As was mentioned, it weakened the flavor.

I am also new to the wine making game and I have been topping off with cheap wine of the same variety. Hopefully this works.

Hi all
I would like to use it to top off my wine going into secondary

Thanks Roger

You don't need to top off during secondary. Top off after stabilizing and starting clearing. Top off every time after that.

If you don't have the exact same variety, use merlot for reds, as it has a somewhat neutral taste profile and won't affect the taste very much at all.

You don't need to top off during secondary. Top off after stabilizing and starting clearing. Top off every time after that.

If you don't have the exact same variety, use merlot for reds, as it has a somewhat neutral taste profile and won't affect the taste very much at all.

Yes this is what I ment.

Thanks Roger

You are going to find that the so called 23 liter (6 gallon) Italian made Carboys that are sold these days are gong to require close to 24 liters of wine to top off. So if you start out with 6 gallons in the primary. Not only are you going to make up for racking loss when you transfer to a 24 litre carboy you are going to have to add around 1.5 liters of liquid to top off your final racking. Given that amount of addition I think most of us choose a similar wine over water.

That doesn't sound right. How long do you leave it in secondary?

I consider secondary to be the 12 days following primary fermentation. I do a dirty rack after primary fermentation and fill that carboy up to the brim so no headspace even on an Italian carboy. Add lots of CO2 in the wine and no problems for sure.

After you rack off the gross lees and stabilize then its time for top off wine or inert gas in the head space for sure.

Leave it in secondary until the SG remains the same for about 3 consecutive days. (around .998) Let your hydrometer be your guide---not the calendar. Good Luck!!

I agree with Robie. The length of time is not measured in days but by your sg reading. Different folks rack to the secondary at 1.01, some at 1.00 and other don't go to the secondary but ferment dry in the primary. Regardless of how you do it, once your wine is finished fermenting and dry you have to top up and stabilize it.

Call me paranoid, but I try top up right after primary. Leaving my wine exposed to O2 for days just seems like really bad idea.

Once its done fermenting I like to get my wine topped up whether you rack to carboy while its fermenting or going dry in primary. I know its loaded with C02 if its a kit or juice bucket but I still veer on the safe side as I dont have money to throw around.

Call me paranoid, but I try top up right after primary. Leaving my wine exposed to O2 for days just seems like really bad idea.

Oxidation begins immediately but is also affected by the amount of sulfite in the carboy. Yes you should top off as soon as you can but if it takes you a day or two to get some similar wine you will be fine.

Hi all

I would like to ask what you all think about using a commerce wine that is close to the wine that you are making. I would like to use it to top off my wine going into secondary instead of using water. I would hate to water my wine down. What do all of you think?

Thanks Roger

I can not stress this enough..

NEVER USE WATER !!!!

water will serve to thin out the flavor of the wine, the color of the wine, and (most importantly) the PH/ACID of the wine.

Thanks all for the help. I will not be useing water for toping off.

Roger

Latest posts

Back