tomato wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askins3097

Reaction score
After drinking some awesome tomato wine at a party last summer, I decided I'm going to make it this year. I tried getting back to my friend, who's family makes the stuff, and its a big secret I guess, how they make it, etc. So I'm going to use the Jack Kellar recipe. I'm getting ready to order all my vegetable seeds soon, and I've been googling, with no luck, the best tomatoes to use for wine are. Any experienced tomato wine makers know if it makes a difference or if one kind is better then another?

Most of the hearloom varities are good. Roma is ok but not the best. I use big Boy , oxe heart , celeberty, & high bred juila . The giant tree tomato is a verry good low acid tomato to use. I usually use a mixed varity to get a verry unique flaver. The yellow tomatoes make a weaker flavored wine. Of course all of this is MHO. I usually make at least 6 gal. a year. There are different herbs that can be added for a unique flavor also.

Maybe I'll pick up some of those giant tree seeds and plant an extra row or two just for wine. I figured there were lower acid tomatoes that would be good to use, just wasn't sure. Then I can add some of my cherry tomatoes and big boys into the mix. Thanks for the idea.

Back