Toasting Oak Sticks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, did it twice. Put them in the oven on a tray at 250 degrees. They were cut as sticks about 6" long, 3/4" wide and 3/8 thick. Filled the kitchen with smoke the first time because it's not easy to control charing on the sticks. Sticks were laid parallel on a tray and those on the outside charred first.

However, it imparted an oaky "ness" as well or better than oak cubes. I'm guessing the reason is because I sealed them in zip lock bags and used them shortly after the oven toast.

Just figure out how to do it outside I'm not sure it's actually that safe to try it in the kitchen.

bl

Well, time is something you have to watch because it may depend on moisture content of the white oak sticks.

I found a chart that states it takes 4.7 minutes for red oak to ignite at 250 degrees. I suppose this is after all moisture has been driven off, dunno?

With all the risks involved I think $6.50 for a small bag of Carlson oak cubes is a pretty good insurance policy. Much better than a fire in the oven.

bl

You got a point there about the fire hazard. I wonder if you can toast the sticks with a torch of some sort.

Torch could work but I doubt if you could get an even toast throughout. Might think about the odor of butane.

I think the key is an evenly toasted oak with no smokey after effects. What do the coopers do to toast barrels?

bl

I've toasted oak in my gas grill. wrapped a package of oak sticks in foil, poked a few holes for smoke to escape and fired it up. some turned into charcoal but most toasted nicely. I kept the grill at around 300 degrees and when the package would start smoking, removed it from the heat. if it was not toasted enough, I just put it back on.
I probably will not toast anymore. It is easier for me to just buy my oak cubes, chips or staves.

Curiously, would white oak purchased rough cut from the local wood turners store work for toasting your own? Or does it have to be center cut, air dried, etc.....

Rolsen;

My feeling is that it doesn't matter, just stay away from sap wood and knots. The point to toasting is to drive out all moisture until the volatile gases nearly ignite which would result in charing rather than toasting.

My concern remains that those who read this thread and try toasting in their Kenmore oven risk fire or serious damage to appliances.

451F is for carbon-hydrate. Some volatile substance in the log can ignite at much lower temperature.

Latest posts

Back