Thinking about getting an oak barrel..pros and cons?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
I posted in another thread that I never added oak powder in primary fermentation. I know my reds have always been 'weak' in terms of mouthfeel, usually a taste of "off-flavor" and not "sweetness" available.

Based on what I've read, oak "fights" off flavors or better to say, adds mouthfeel to the wine.
My wines in the past have been off as mentioned earlier, alcohol taste is predominant but a "plain" alcohol flavor.

I always buy the 6 gallon plastic pails with yeast pre-added.

I have the following glass containers:
-3 5gal carboys
-1 15gal demi-john

Am I better off just using oak powder in primary fermentation, and maybe spirals next?

I don't want to spend a lot, so if I bought an oak barrel, what size would you recommend for my small arsenal, maybe a 25L so I ferment one 6gal pail, or something bigger to replace 2 carboys or even the demi-john?

Typical price?
Toasted oak barrel vs. not toasted?

I really want to "fix" and make my wine RIGHT.
At the same time I don't want to spend $ on a barrel and then find out that I need to fix leaks and all that.
Am I better off justk adding oak powder to primary and this would provide the benefits as using an oak barrel?

All the feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Geek, I am by no means an oak barrel expert, I can however, tell you what I've seen so far.
It is difficult for me to put into words exactly what I've experienced, but here it goes:
The main difference that I've experienced in the wine that just came out of a 23 liter barrel is that the wine and oak seem "married", fuller, richer, while the wines that I used oak chips in have a very nice taste to them, but it does seem that the wine and oak are two separate entities, this was lessened when I switched to oak spirals and added them during fermentation.
The cost of a 23 liter Barrel isn't much, but Vadai will be raising their prices soon from what they told me. As far as leaks, I haven't had any leaks so far on either of the 2 20 liter or the 23 liter barrels., I wouldn't even consider purchasing an untoasted barrel, it kinda defeats the purpose, but remember, you need to be able to keep that barrel full, if you have enough wine or plan to make enough wine to keep it filled, I'd jump at the barrel!

Pumpkin,

After reading your last post, I assume that you always use chips and have never tried anything larger?

Got to get you to try staves (instead of chips). Try an experiment with bigger pieces of oak, Med toast preferred. I have a strong feeling that you would never go back to chips again. I find that they bring a lot of what you describe to the table.

JohnT,
Nope, not at all, I used chips twice and haven't gone back, I've used staves and Oak infusion Spirals since then, now I am oaking in a barrel.
Oak infusion spirals were my favorite, you have a lot of control with them.

I've only had my barrel just under six months, but I haven't come across any 'cons'. In fact, I'm about to pull the trigger on a second barrel. At under $200 delivered, a 23 liter Vadai barrel will greatly improve your wines. And over time, the cost per bottle becomes minimal.

Geek, pros are everything above and much more. Cons are that you must produce enough to keep it full all the time. That means for a 23ltr barrel at least four six gallon kits the first year then two or three each year after that. When you can manage that go for it.

Glad that I found this post. I hope this doesn't "drift" the thread too much but I have a related question.

I am trying to decide if my next equipment purchase should be a barrel or an Allinone pump. I realize they are very different products with very different uses but I can only get one right now. As a side note, I haven't had any issues yet degassing my wines and I do have enough in the pipeline to keep the barrel full.

Thoughts?

-Josh

Josh:

I think the decision comes down to your personal situation. They are both around $200 (assuming you are looking at a 23liter vadai and the All In One pump), so other than maybe ten or twenty bucks, there's not much of a price difference. If you have issues lifting heavy carboys, have trouble degassing, or find bottling to be painful, I'd say the pump might be higher on the list. If you think your wines could be better, and have enough of a pipeline to keep a barrel full, that might be the better choice.

One will make your wine taste better the other will help make your wine easier, you decide. I had to buy the pump first because I'm old and can't lift the carboy. Assuming you are younger I would go with the barrel.

You have to drink and make a lot of red wine to keep that barrel full 365 days a year, especially the first year. Just keep that in mind. I am now getting into some red kits that have sat for 2 years AND spent 3-4 months in the barrel as well as had bumps in tannin added. Its hard to believe these wines came out of a box. So the barrel can and will do some amazing things to your kit wines. Tough call.

I'd buy the Allinone first, then the barrel, Mike has a real valid point about having to keep the barrel full.

Thanks for the great input! All very valid points that I need to consider.

If I'm doing the Allinone, I need to decide quickly as I think it's currently on sale.

-Josh

What a great thread. It convinced me to order a 6 gallon Vadai Hungarian barrel. Look forward to using it

You'll love the barrel nychd. Lots of threads on break in.

I just got one going last week and was very happy with the quality. I prepped it in accordance with the instructions that came with it and had 0 leakage. I ordered another one. It's on the way.

I just got one going last week and was very happy with the quality. I prepped it in accordance with the instructions that came with it and had 0 leakage. I ordered another one. It's on the way.

where you bought it?

Wondering if this is a good one, price sounds good for a 1ogal?

http://www.thebarrelmill.com/index.php/wine-barrels/10-gallon-american-oak-wine-barrel.html

I also wonder if is better to start with a 5gal barrel to get used to the barrel, then move up as needed.

Just some input. I have had a Vadai 23L barrel for going on two years, with 6 different kits going through it.

Oak is starting to mellow, but still there.

I like oak in the wine, so I purchased an stainless oak tube (from morewine.com I believe). It has removable tabs on the end, fits perfectly into a carboy. It allows you to experiment with the amount of oak you like.

I make all my kits at a local winery, and they use the Hungarian High Vanilla oak chips which are really good and I would tell everyone to try if you haven't.

It usually only takes a few weeks to get the oak taste in the wine.

The barrel loses its oak flavor, but still is an important part of the wine making as it allows the wine to micro oxidize much quicker than the bottle.

All my kits now get the oak tube, then a minimum of 4 months in the barrel. Longer depending on what's waiting.

Back