Thinking about getting an oak barrel..pros and cons?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread, I would not be able to make enough wine to justify a barell at this point in time.. But good info.

Not sure how many you make, but 3-4 kits a year max is all you can get through a barrel the first year.
Really after the 1st year, easily could just put two through. 6 months per kit would be ideal imo.

Varis,
I highly recommend Vadai for the barrel, the Hungarian oak has tighter fibers than the American oak, this is important because the more dense, or the tighter the fibers, the slower the oak will impact the wine.

Vey cool. I got a Hungarian oak barrel based on the reviews but did not know why that was the reason.

I am just experiencing what a barrel can do with a small 5L gift. I am sold, but am really new to this - when scheduling kits to keep it full (I am thinking of cellar crafts washington state red, with skin pack) do you transfer to the barrel starting at secondary fermentation, or after fermentation is complete? Do you always have a kit bulk aging in glass to use for top off?

Last edited:
I am just experiencing what a barrel can do with a small 5L gift. I am sold, but am really new to this - when scheduling kits to keep it full (I am thinking of cellar crafts washington state red, with skin pack) do you transfer to the barrel starting at secondary fermentation, or after fermentation is complete? Do you always have a kit bulk aging in glass to use for top off?

Put it in the barrel after it clears.

Nobody mentioned the con of having to add more sulphite on a regular basis which means you probably need a good free SO2 tester. A DIY A/O kit is going to cost $70-$100 not including the chemicals. Of course if you are going to bulk age in any container, a Free SO2 tester is good to have anyway but is not absolutely required.

But this also means that you cannot just leave wine in a barrel alone for 3+ months at a time like you can do with carboys. For example, I leave all my wines in a glass carboy for 6-7 months during the winter without touching them. Unfortunately, should not do that with barrels.

I did not think that one needs to keep barrels filled all the time, however. One can dry it out and burn a sulphur stick inside the carboy to remove the oxygen and preserve the inside.

Nobody mentioned the con of having to add more sulphite on a regular basis which means you probably need a good free SO2 tester. A DIY A/O kit is going to cost $70-$100 not including the chemicals. Of course if you are going to bulk age in any container, a Free SO2 tester is good to have anyway but is not absolutely required.

But this also means that you cannot just leave wine in a barrel alone for 3+ months at a time like you can do with carboys. For example, I leave all my wines in a glass carboy for 6-7 months during the winter without touching them. Unfortunately, should not do that with barrels.

I did not think that one needs to keep barrels filled all the time, however. One can dry it out and burn a sulphur stick inside the carboy to remove the oxygen and preserve the inside.
No wine to put in the barrel is the least amount of an issue for me. Usually have one or two waiting to go in. Super Tuscan just in, Barolo waiting, so I have roughly 9 months til I need to have something else ready to go in. I find that I need a split a month to keep topped off.
Now after 5 previous kits and 6th one in the barrel, I leave them around 4 or 5 months so its roughly two full bottles for topping. Kmeta each racking whether its carboy or barrel.

I have done nothing for the past two day but look into this. I have to pass for now and go with the spirals. After you factor in the money and time u put in to age in those barrels (a couple kits then they are bust) they just dont last long enough to warrant the price for me. I might change my mind in a year or so but for now its a no for me

Oak barrels aren't "toast" after they have become neutral (no more oak imparted to the wine). They still affect the taste and feel of the wine as it micro-oxidizes.

A barrel will last indefinitely if you take good care of it. It will impart oak for about two years. After that you add oak beans to the barrel for oak. I actually like my 2 neutral barrels more than my 2 newer ones as I can add French oak or American oak depending on the wine that is being aged. Barrels are win/win IMHO.

I have done nothing for the past two day but look into this. I have to pass for now and go with the spirals. After you factor in the money and time u put in to age in those barrels (a couple kits then they are bust) they just dont last long enough to warrant the price for me. I might change my mind in a year or so but for now its a no for me

If you are researching, look into Micro Oxidation. You can get your oak flavoring from the spiral, but will never get the micro oxidation you get from the barrel.

Again will re-iterate, I put 3 -4 kits a year in barrel. You'll need a minimum of 3 months to start to get micro oxidation. 4-6 months is better for the 23L Vadai barrel.

The barrel isn't bust after you start lose oak. After 6 kits, I'm still getting oak, but I like a lot of oak, so after racking, I have an oak tube that I use to get oak in wine while bulk aging before going into barrel. (SS Oak tube and chips, much cheaper than spirals). After 6 months of clearing/oaking/bulk aging, wine goes into barrel for 4-6 months.

Big difference in final product when you use a barrel. At least that's my experience.

I guess Im good for now. I may change my mind later you never know.

Back