The Great Blizzard of 08

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
petercooper....I imagine just the sight of snow down your way is a shocker....

Oiln....I was also worried about the snow cover...we have about 6 inches now...I like it just like that.....But will surely get more.

I can handle the cold, but hate wading through snow, shoveling, etc.

Well, Here in my part of Houston there was no accumulation, just some big flurries for a while.....but really, really, cold. The cold is different here!!

It caused a bit of excitement here since it is so rare. I saw Kids out playing and moms and dads taking pictures.But once again.....it is Spring!!!! 70's...supposed to be 75 by Sunday.

Enjoying all of your pictures. Ramona

rgecaprock said:
.....but really, really, cold. The cold is different here!!

Enjoying all of your pictures. Ramona

So Ramona how is the cold different? Does that mean it is really, really cold when it gets to 40 instead of -10?
smiley36.gif

Ramona is correct. It is a different type of cold. It is damp and gets you to the bone. I am from Illinois where it would routinely be zero or below in the winter. Yeah, it was cold but never bothered me. I move here and it gets to 40 I am freezing. I know I have acclimated to the weather here after 10 years but even the first winter I was here, I froze to death.

You got it Smurfe,
Maybe because we aren't used to it at all. Then when we do get it along with the dampness, it settles in your bones and lingers even after you get in where it is warm.It is the lingering effect that is the difference I think.

Ramona

I wish the cold would linger here like it does there guys................
Cold this morning......... 70's later in the day.............. I could handle that.

This morning while I was plowing on an unheated tractor for an hour and a half, it was 19 degrees, 95-100% humidity(snowing heavily), and winds 10-15 mph. Makes me want to linger my fingers out there a bit longer in the cold. I can't adequately describe the feeling I get in the finger I had almost cut off in 2004 and sewn back together. Normally it is just kind of a numb finger, but man it just doesn't get good circulation and when it gets chilled, it gets extremely painful as it warms back up for the next hour.

Either of you guys have a spare cot there for the winter?
smiley25.gif
smiley36.gif

I'm prepared for the blizzard if it happens. Being 30 miles from the city in which I work I won't be heading out if it's blowing and snowing on Monday. I've loaded up with baking good along with plenty of wine work to do. I'd rather go to work though and save that vacation time. Maybe next year we can spend Christmas time in Germany with the Leinie Princess and her husband.

I guess it's hats and gloves for a few days around here...

snowing.gif

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND FORKS HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM CST
MONDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP TODAY MAINLY OVER NORTHERN NORTH DAKOTA
INTO FAR NORTHWEST MINNESOTA. SNOW WILL BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD AND
HEAVIER TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY WITH THE SNOW ENDING SUNDAY NIGHT OR
EARLY MONDAY. TEMPERATURES WILL BE DANGEROUSLY COLD DURING THIS
EVENT WITH TEMPERATURES FALLING TO BELOW ZERO IN MOST AREAS
TONIGHT AND REMAINING BELOW ZERO ON SUNDAY. WINDS WILL BE
NORTHEAST AND INCREASE TO 25 TO 35 MPH TONIGHT AND BECOME
NORTHERLY AT 25 TO 40 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS ON SUNDAY. THESE WIND
COMBINED WITH TEMPERATURES WILL PRODUCE WIND CHILLS IN THE 25 TO
40 BELOW ZERO RANGE SUNDAY. TOTAL SNOWFALL FROM THIS EVENT WILL BE
IN THE 6 TO 8 INCH RANGE WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS
POSSIBLE.

VISIBILITIES OVERNIGHT INTO SUNDAY NIGHT WILL BE VERY POOR WITH
NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES LIKELY IN OPEN COUNTRY AND EVEN GREATLY
REDUCED VISIBILITIES INSIDE THE CITIES.

THE SNOW IN COMBINATION WITH THE COLD WILL MAKE IT VERY DANGEROUS
FOR TRAVEL. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE LIFE THREATENING
IF YOU ARE CAUGHT OUTDOORS IN IT. TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS NOW
TO PREPARE FOR THIS MAJOR WINTER STORM...AND DELAY TRAVEL PLANS IF
POSSIBLE.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS
AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF
YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET
STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

</pre>

I guess it's cookie baking and winemaking time there in the Great North Woods (or plains). Stay warm and stay safe.

It is really beautiful today here. Bright blue skies without a cloud in them. With a half foot of fresh snow on the ground the sun is blinding. Was about -8F this AM- cool but tolerable. Great snowmobiling weather.Edited by: appleman

So far I've made 2 batches of candy today and started chicken soup. Get this, it hasn't even starting snowing yet!
smiley5.gif

Don't get me started making candy or cookies....
Was going to try not to make any this year.....we'd just eat them.... Jim is sulking...It won't be the same with out Christmas cookies...
smiley19.gif

I bought a huge bag of Canadian Candy Bars the other day when we crossed the Border....That's my treat when we go up there...Get all my old time favorites...been doing sampling today...
smiley4.gif

I think you should make the poor guy a couple batches of Christmas cookies. He does so much during the year, just a couple batches of cookies seems like a fair trade to me!

(Jim if you see this I am rooting for you. We need to stick together!)

Spritzers always work for me but the Italian Almond rounds are delish too!
20081213_165004_Cookie-monster.jpg

PWP has been making candy and cookies, but it's been you can't have any now thing....and that ties up the kitchen, so no playing with wine .....still waiting for the storm to hit....
smiley5.gif

The good thing about the wine Bert is you already have some so you can drink it. Cookies and candy are so fleeting- they only last briefly. Let her toil with the cookies and candy and enjoy what you can get, but you will have wine long after they are gone!

Hope the storms don't get too bad there. Good luck and stay warm.

OH...It will work out...came across a bottle of "05" Spanish Rioja....will be checking that out...
smiley36.gif
...No Snow yet just wind...

Hi NW - brand new to this web site and waiting on my equipment to get started. Had to say Hi..we are about 45 minutes or so East of Fargo, ND. We are of course hearing the same blizzard warning. We must be neighbors.
smiley1.gif

Back