The Great Blizzard of 08

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 38 degrees and raining this morning and now it is -8 snowing and blowing hard. According to the weather reports we got off easy compared to the northern half of the state. This is the kind ofweather that keeps the riff-raft out.

You gotta love it
smiley1.gif

Now it's just cold up here....still wind...
Cozy in the house....
smiley4.gif

...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON MONDAY...

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF EASTERN NORTH
DAKOTA...WEST CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST MINNESOTA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

WIND CHILLS OF 35 TO 50 BELOW ZERO WILL OCCUR THROUGH NOON TODAY
AS NORTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 35 MPH COMBINE WITH BITTERLY COLD
TEMPERATURES TO PRODUCE LIFE THREATENING WIND CHILLS.
</pre>

We did run into to town to mail off some stuff.....Noon and we have a balmy -15°F [-26°C]....Suppose to get to -25 to -30°F tonight.....

The roads were pretty much blown clear....they buildup the roads here so the snow blows off of them. The plows had been by, but didn't have much to do.

With the wind straight out of the North we have all the snow from Hudson Bay blown into and deposited in our yard. There are some 3 foot drifts on the South sides of the buildings...other areas are blown clean. Don't think we got a whole lot of snow....it just blew around real good.

Jim also needed some #1 Diesel to run the tractor so he can push up the yard....that will take him a little while.

Keep warm!!!!
ColdSmall.gif
ColdBig.gif

Friends got home today from their other home in Mexico, [just for the Holidays]....Rude weather to come home to.

This is the beach on the Island they live on....
[They sent us this photo just to taunt us]

islaSmall.jpg

I think I'd have stayed down there....

34 and falling with a forecast of freezing rain tonight and tomorrow........Winter has arrived

It ain't getting any better around here....-18°F already and dropping....
Took some garbage out to the compost pile and about froze my hiney off.

Our present forecast....

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS
AFTERNOON...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS
AFTERNOON.

WESTERLY WINDS AROUND 15 MPH COMBINED WITH TEMPERATURES WELL
BELOW ZERO WILL CREATE WIND CHILL READINGS IN THE 25 TO 40 BELOW
ZERO RANGE THROUGH THIS EVENING.

WINDS WILL SLOWLY SUBSIDE AFTER SUNSET...AND THE THREAT FOR
DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS WILL END...ALTHOUGH IT WILL REMAIN BITTERLY
COLD WITH RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES AROUND 30 BELOW ZERO EXPECTED
BY TUESDAY MORNING.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS
WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN
FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.
IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS...MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND
GLOVES.

Gee...a hat and gloves....???
Now...that's a good idea.
</font></pre>

It's nasty here in Western Colorado also. Snowed on Sunday then the sky cleared overnight, it was -2 F when I roled out this morning.

Jeff

It stayed in the low 30's most of the day but at dark it shot up to 50 or so. THey were saying all day the winds in the area were up to 50 mph and it was dead calm and foggy here- Winter Fog Freeze A Hog. Well about 4:30 the fog dissapeared and the wind kicked up to 30 mph and the temps shot up along with a rain. Gotta love winter!

I drove into work today, got there about 10. I left for lunch and my car started to behave very badly indeed.
smiley18.gif
Poor Bert came into town and after checking a few things over on my car, followed me to the repair shop so he could tote my carpool buddy and me home. He is such a swell guy!
smiley27.gif
I felt much better knowing he was right behind me, right there if I needed his help. Don't want to mess around with car problems in this cold!
smiley3.gif

That's a good idea or a least some oatmeal- raisin cookies...

Poor Bert, I didn't make his cookies. But he didn't have his truck today and won't have it tomorrow. I'd better make him more than 1 batch of cookies! Maybe something with coconut!
smiley27.gif
That's true love as I hate coconut!
smiley11.gif

Cindy made "Orange Colorful Cookies" today. They are made with orange Jello in them (can use any kind of Jello for the color you want) and she covered half with coconut and the other half with cocoa powder and ground chocolate (and I hear you have a few chocolate candy bars). They are really chewey and orangy flavored- quite tasty. Does Bert like orange as well as coconut? The recipe is in her Betty Crocker Cookbook. She said they were real easy to make!

Colorful Cookies (from Betty Crocker)

<CENTER></CENTER>

<CENTER>

</CENTER>
<DIV align=center>
<CENTER>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%"><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=left width="80%">The cookies are colorful, tasty and don't have to be rolled out etc.
DO NOT USE SELF-RISING FLOUR IN THIS!!!
1 pkg (3 ounces) fruit-flavored gelatin
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup margarine or butter softened
2 and 1/4 cups plain flour (or a little less if you like the cookies less crispy)
1/4 tsp salt

preheat oven to 350 degrees. Reserve 1 tbsp dry gelatin for the glaze. Mix remaining gelatin, powdered sugar and margarine. Stir in flour and salt. Shape dough into 1-in balls. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until set but not brown (8 to 10 minutes) cool slightly. remove from cookie sheet. Cool.

Glaze: mix 1 tbsp gelatin and 3 tbsp hot water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla until smooth. Dip cooled cookies into glaze then if you want to...while it is still wet sprinkle colored sugar or coconut, sprinkles etc. on them and allow them dry.

</TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE></CENTER>Edited by: appleman

We are in the middle of a snow storm as we speak. 5 to 6 inches toight and another 6 on Thursday. Enough of the white stuff! Enough already!

I agree with you moto-girl. We had the 5-6 inches of snow Friday on top of existing snow. Then it waited a couple days and snowed some mor- temps got up to 50 briefly and thawed the snow to slush and then turned to almost 0 and turned everything to an ice rink. 6 inches more snow this AM on top of the ice! It is a verycold fluffy snow so it makes the ice much worse. Cindy barely got out of the driveway this AM after repeated attempts. I have a treacherous trip to the office of 100+ feet on glare ice covered with snow. Friday another 6 inches or more snow expected and then possibly a major storm on Sunday night through Monday. Enough Already! Uncle!

I would send all of you some of our gorgeous Fla weather but since I can't I'll just try and enjoy it for everyone. So I'm off to relieve the jeep of its top and head out to somewhere because its way to nice to stay indoors. Maybe a road trip to a local winery or pick up some honey for my Cherry Chocolate Mead or just off. Stay warm and safe driving those snow and ice covered roads.
VPC

Latest posts

Back