The French Paradox

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike thanks for sharing, that was the first time I saw that and it was very interesting. Also interesting is how milk is bad but cheese is not.

Makes you wonder if the French have something different in their DNA or its just the diet. I could give the French a run for their money in the annual cheese consumption I think. I drink plenty of red wine but on Monday I have an appt with my PCP to discuss my latest lipid profile test results. I suspect the test results were not so good...... :(

Mike, I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a similar story years ago about an "Italian paradox" for many of the same reasons. As I recall, the article attributed it at least in part to garlic (or as Italians call it, vitamin G), onions and red wine. I believe French cuisine uses all of these liberally.

I have been really tempted to try my hand at making cheese. Last time I went to Sonoma and Napa, I noticed that they are making a lot of cheeses these days. I know California is beginning to receive some worldwide notoriety for its cheeses.

When you think about it, the cheese making process is (somewhat) along the same lines as wine making. OK, maybe a little more smelly.

Just a thought but try watching "Big Fat Fiasco" on Youtube. It is broken down into 5 small episodes of a few mins each. Both the French and the Italians use lots of good oils and cream/butter in their cooking.

Just a thought but try watching "Big Fat Fiasco" on Youtube. It is broken down into 5 small episodes of a few mins each. Both the French and the Italians use lots of good oils and cream/butter in their cooking.

WOW! I only had time this morning to watch 2 of these. Why am I so surprised? I really got caught up in the idea behind the Black Swan Test. We all need to watch this series.

I'll watch the others soon.

Thanks, Leanne

Robie, when I first saw this I was furious! How can we have been so misled for so long?
It really is worth watching though isn't it?

pas de paradoxe!, sage vin sage pâture sage vie :D

Since I haven't a clue what you said, I'll just respond the way we used to in Texas, "If you do,you clean it up". :)

Kidding aside, yesterday I found a somewhat similar video on Netflix streaming. Its name is "Ingredients". Long, but has a lot of good to say about the fresh veggie markets and tendencies of many in France. It is starting to make me question the current direction of the food industry here at home.

I watched the Fiasco series. Thanks. Reminds me of a "crooked auto mechanic" who tells you that you need to replace major component that could more easily be rectified with a simple repair; only on a much grander scale. Just another reason to not put your faith, trust and life in the hands of bureaucrats. Someday, the things we've been taught by our intellectual leaders will be verified as urban legends on Snopes.com

If you think that is outrageous then watch "Food inc." by Robert Kenner. I was shocked and outraged on behalf of the people of your country!

If you think that is outrageous then watch "Food inc." by Robert Kenner. I was shocked and outraged on behalf of the people of your country!

"Ingredients" is definitely an eye opener for me. Here in the USA we want to mechanize about everything. Ugh! We brag that we have the lowest cost food per person in the world, while we are heading for a big black hole.

I will try to find "Food Inc". Thanks for the tip.

If you watched the "Big Fat Fiasco" by Tom Naughton you may also be interested in watching his other documentary called "The Fathead Movie".
In it he debunks all of the stereo typical thinking that we have about a healthy diet by only eating fast food for one month and loosing 12 pounds in the process.
Here's the link [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVEiYwFvKvU[/ame]
The video runs for one hour and forty five minutes.

Latest posts

Back