Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigswol2

Junior
Reaction score
Just picked up my Chilean Syrah and it looks like the wild yeast have already gotten started. My local shop was out of Kmeta so how may crushed Campden tablets would I need to get a 6 gallon batch under control before I pitch my selected yeast?

I agree with Dan above, you better call the supplier and find out if the yeast was already added before trying to stun that yeast.

My juice bucket had basic instructions printed on the side indicating that the yeast was already added.

I just got my bucket of Chilean Syrah as well, and it was bubbling away in my care with a vengeance even on the way home, the instructions on the side of my bucket also said that it was already inoculated.

Funny.. All the juice I been getting over tha last 8+ years has NO yeast added.

I like that better.

Do they say what kind of yeast they added?

Mine did not, it just had a set of generic directions on the side of the bucket. The person at the counter didn't really seem to know anything about the buckets when I went to pick it up. I suppose I could call and ask when someone more knowledgeable is there, or try to contact the company or distributer myself if I was that curious. I'm just hoping that when I get some California buckets in the fall they don't have anything added. (I'm looking forward to having the experience of balancing and inoculating it myself.)

Thats the FUN part. adding different yeast strains to get different tastes.

I tried to kill the ferment too so that I could add my own, but the stubbor b*stard didn't want to die! I added 6 camden to it, which didn't even slow it down. I didn't want to resort to sorbate (I was really hoping that the camden would do it), so I just let it go anyways. Maybe I should have tried something else......

thats the problem with juiceyeast added. you have no control of tatse. next time make a big starter. just adding yeast will not work on active frementation

I use 10 crushed campden per 6 gal. and it works every time. Be sure to crush it until it looks like talc. :b

I didn't add more than the six, I didn't want to over do it. I didn't bother adding more yeast (as I didn't know what it was inoculated with already, and I've heard mixing is bad. So after adding the Camden didnt work, I figured I would let it do it's thing. Next time I'll know I can add more. All part of the learning process, and I'm not exactly known for doing things the easy way. :)

Latest posts

Back