Helping a friend - need advice on additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend received some grapes and wants to make wine. He said the grapes are purple when I asked if he knew what kind. :h
I guess they're from a vineyard in Wisconsin.

They are going to destem and pick out the bad ones before I get there. After that, my plan is to crush with some kmeta and get a yeast starter going (thinking 71B because that's what I used on my homegrown grape batch).

I used Fermaid K and pectic enzyme on my batch of homegrown grapes. Any thoughts about tannin or anything else that should be added up front?

Thanks!

Edited to add pic of grapes in 6 gallon pail.IMG_0658.jpeg

Do you/they have a press? A refractometer? Everything you’ve stated above sounds good.

A guess from berry size is they are concord or related like Beta. I do not like Concord done on the skins, seems to carry a lot of off notes, they are not raised for tannin. Consider pressing sooner to make a rose. This year the concord has been excellent. Most years is high acid as 1.2% with lots of green berries.

Update - they are Frontenac grapes.

He is a pastor and wants to make a little communion wine if it turns out. SG was 1.070, so we didn't chaptalize at all. I figured 10% ABV is going to be just about right for communion wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back