Vintage 2023

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in business for 2023!

So this is the "last chance" Zinfandel. These grapes were picked on Saturday in a beautiful Zinfandel vineyard in Amador county. The elevation there is right at 1800 feet and the birx hit 25 and it was time to go. So along with the other 8 tons of fruit, this was the last bin to be crushed. Only problem, the belt broke on the destemmer crusher and this final bin did not make the fermentation. The grapes spent all Saturday night in cold storage. The winery owner called and asked if I wanted the grapes because he was not going to use them, the sorting equipment was all clean and the crusher was not fixed yet. So, Sunday (yesterday) my wine making partner and I drove up there, sorted the bin by hand, and brought home about 400 pounds of Zinfandel. Anyway, while we sorted through the grapes, the predicted rain started and rained like crazy for about 2 hours. So these may be the last grapes to come out of this vineyard this year.

I will say, it's almost easier to pick the grapes, because you can reject the bad ones on the vine. Picking crews are after tonnage and pretty much pick whatever they can reach and so a good sorting is a must. Sorry, I realize that's a bad pun.

There was very little bird damage but there were a few raisin clusters that we tossed out, plus the usual assortment of spiders, earwigs and the like. Another friend of mine let me use has crusher destemmer (it does 6 tons per hour so things went very fast). After the crush we sat around in his back yard, sampled a few wines and had a great time. We both make a Syrah every year and so that was a good topic for discussion complete with samples!

Then I let things soak overnight with 20ppm of sulfite and Some Lallzyme EXV (I would have used EX but didn't have any). The brix measured this morning at 25.5. Having it go up overnight is pretty common with Zinfandel. I decided to use Avante yeast again because of it's strong performance and relatively high brix. I made 2 good starters and inoculated the must earlier today. So, I did not expect to be still making wine over Halloween but here we are.

71967964091__3B23F0E2-2141-4FBF-91DB-EE38C068AA3E.jpegIMG_0519.jpeg

Last edited:

So this is the "last chance" Zinfandel. These grapes were picked on Saturday in a beautiful Zinfandel vineyard in Amador county. The elevation there is right at 1800 feet and the birx hit 25 and it was time to go. So along with the other 8 tons of fruit, this was the last bin to be crushed. Only problem, the belt broke on the destemmer crusher and this final bin did not make the fermentation. They spent all Saturday night in cold storage. The winery owner called and asked if I wanted the grapes because he was not going to use them, the sorting equipment was all clean and the crusher was not fixed yet. So, Sunday (yesterday) my wine making partner and I drove up there, sorted the bin by hand, and brought home about 400 pounds of Zinfandel. Anyway, while we sorted through the grapes, the predicted rain started and rained like crazy for about 2 hours. So these may be the last grapes to come out of this vineyard this year.

I will say, it's almost easier to pick the grapes, because you can reject the bad ones on the vine. Picking crews are after tonnage and pretty much pick whatever they can reach and so a good sorting is a must. Sorry, I realize that's a bad pun.

There was very little bird damage but there were a few raisin clusters that we tossed out, plus the usual assortment of spiders, earwigs and the like. Another friend of mine let me use has crusher destemmer (it does 6 tons per hour so things went very fast). After the crush we sat around in his back yard, sampled a few wines and had a great time. We both make a Syrah every year and so that was a good topic for discussion complete with samples!

Then I let things soak overnight with 20ppm of sulfite and Some Lallzyme EXV (I would have used EX but didn't have any). The brix measured this morning at 25.5. Having it go up overnight is pretty common with Zinfandel. I decided to use Avante yeast again because of it's strong performance and relatively high brix. I made 2 good starters and inoculated the must earlier today. So, I did not expect to be still making wine over Halloween but here we are.

Hey Drew, Congrats on a successful wine season! What vineyard did you get the Amador Zin from?

good sorting is a must.
😂

So, I did not expect to be still making wine over Halloween but here we are.
You, and me both. What brand are those square “Brute” containers? I’d like to find some.

I have been given “runt of the litter” Zinfandel before and made some undrinkable paint stripper wine. If you have 25 Brix in the must, I would bet you are fine. A sorting table helps.

😂

You, and me both. What brand are those square “Brute” containers? I’d like to find some.

I have been given “runt of the litter” Zinfandel before and made some undrinkable paint stripper wine. If you have 25 Brix in the must, I would bet you are fine. A sorting table helps.
They are just Rubbermaid brutes bought on Amazon. The lids are separate so beware.

So a brief update. I went to Lodi Wine Labs today right after I left work. They are OUT of the 66 gallon CH16 and VP41. But they had something they thought would work well that I have included a picture of Below. Reading up on it, it sounds like Laffort's answer to CH16. It's made for direct inoculation, tolerates poor conditions and works fast. I've already added it so if anyone has any experience with this MLB, I'd like to hear it.

In other news, the color of the Zinfandel is great, and I measured the Brix at +1. Its still forming a strong cap but you can tell fermentation has slowed a lot. I'm planning to press it in 2 days, even though tomorrow would work OK as well. I added the yeast Monday morning, and by Friday afternoon it's basically finished. Avante! It smells great. I've not tasted it yet. I'll check final brix tomorrow morning. If it is below 0 I will likely go ahead and press and get it over with.

I will heat the garage to 75F tonight just to help the MLB get established and working. Otherwise the night time temps have been dropping into the low 60s and I want things to stay warmer than that until I press.

IMG_0522.jpegIMG_0521.jpegIMG_0520.jpeg

Last edited:
Pressed on Sunday really fantastic grapes this season, we did a sample of Koch Ranch Cab along with our Super Tuscan and Barbera.
139 Gallons of Super Tuscan
124 Gallons of Barbera
18 Gallons of Koch Ranch CabP1060850.JPG

Attachments

• P1060828.JPG
    P1060828.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060829.JPG
    P1060829.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060831.JPG
    P1060831.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060840.JPG
    P1060840.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060842.JPG
    P1060842.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060851.JPG
    P1060851.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060853.JPG
    P1060853.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1060854.JPG
    P1060854.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
The B7 direct is what I have been using the last 4 years and love it. I add after the yeast is well established and have always achieved a complete secondary fermentation. I’ve used it with D-254, GRE, CLOS, D-21,RP-15 and SYR with no compatibility issues. You should be fine.

I posted these numbers in the what have you made thread. This is my final count into bulk storage so most of the racking losses have already happened. All but 3 gallons are in stainless, with just 1 small carboy going forward.

Syrah 20 gallons
Grenache Rose 5 gallons
Primitivo 25 gallons
Syrah/Primitivo 50/50 left over blend 5 gallons
Zinfandel 19 gallons total, 15 gallons free run kept separate

A busy last few weeks but likely worth it in a couple of years. Now I need to get busy bottling 2022.

Now @Mac60 has really been busy. I hope he has a lot of thirsty friends!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back