Synthetic Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I know that this topic probably has been beaten to death, but, for those of you that have tried them, will they work with the Italian Floor Corker and the Portuguese Corker?
I am just running out of space and will be bottling my whites soon, it will be easier to place them back in the cases and stack them, rather than try to make room for more shelving to lay them flat.

Thanks,
Tom

Trust me, go with a form of natural cork instead.

Most find that, although a standard floor corker can be used, removal of synthietic corks can be rather difficult.

Also, synthetic corks are not recomended for long term storage. If you plan to keep your wine for more than 3 to 6 years (depending on the synthetic you choose) you will run an increased risk of oxidation.

Tom - I have been using Nomacorc synthetics for a number of years now with the Portuguese corker (burgundy one) with absolutely no problem. Some people have experienced creasing but this has not happened to me. I also find that they are no more difficult than corks to remove so this has not been a problem for me. There are other types of synthetics out there that may be more difficult, like the white ones given out with the RQ's from Spagnols a few years ago. These I did not like.

I second Dugger, Nomacorc is all I use. I love them! You are seeing these corks used more and more commercially. Corked wine will be a thing of the past!

I have used all types of corks and the Nomacorc comes out easier than the agglomerated which I believe is what JohnT was referring to. They do get stuck in some bottles and can be a pain to remove. Nomacorcs slide right out, but they can crease with the floor corkers. We had the problem with one run of a dozen cases and needed to recork.

I use Nomacorcs and have had no problems..... I guess it just boils down to your own preference ( what works or doesn't )

BOB

I have had no problem with Noma corks in my Portuguese corker. I only used them when I first started making wine. I do not use them anymore. They are made for fast drinking wines (1-3 years). Yes wineries do use them, but take notice it is on whites and blends they expect to be consumed within several years. I have only ruined cork screws on removing Noma corks.

I used Norma corks with my "port" thus far I have not witnessed any of the scoring or cork removal issues people have mentioned.

I do use Nomacorc synthetics corks for the past 10 years or so - I do not have the room to lay my bottles on their sides. I did have a problem with creases before I replaced the jaws on the corker - I will now push down the cork atlest 1/4 '' and fill the top with wax - just for insurance. I just purshaed another 500 of them recently

I have had no problem with Noma corks in my Portuguese corker. I only used them when I first started making wine. I do not use them anymore. They are made for fast drinking wines (1-3 years). Yes wineries do use them, but take notice it is on whites and blends they expect to be consumed within several years. I have only ruined cork screws on removing Noma corks.

I agree with RW,

corks will never be fully replaced by synthetic simply because natural cork is far better for long term storage. I must admit that I am not sure if the synthetics i tested out were noma corks or not. Just from my experience, I found them very difficult to get back out of the bottle.

For a good resource in wine closures, I would recomend the book "Is this Bottle Corked?" by Kathleen Burk.

johnT.

Last edited:
I know that this topic probably has been beaten to death, but, for those of you that have tried them, will they work with the Italian Floor Corker and the Portuguese Corker?
I am just running out of space and will be bottling my whites soon, it will be easier to place them back in the cases and stack them, rather than try to make room for more shelving to lay them flat.

Thanks,
Tom
If you are running out of space you should invite us over to help free up some bottles ;-}

Could anyone who has the information post an actual study that shows synthetic cork brands vs natural cork brands?

Could anyone who has the information post an actual study that shows synthetic cork brands vs natural cork brands?

As I said above..

I would recomend the book "Is this Bottle Corked?" by Kathleen Burk.

This book not only covers natural and synthetic corks, but also stelvin (screw caps) and glass closures.

Rocky, that is offencive and nauseating :-}
P.S. at one point the copyright for GT's fight song was owned by Paul McCartney so GT didn't even own its own fight song.

UGA_RamblinWreck-1.jpg

GaDawg, I like the picture of the Model A!

Tech has changed quite a bit since I was there in the early 1960's and I guess the Georgia rivalry is not what it used to be, since Tech left the SEC. I do like the addition of many more coeds. When I started there we has comething like 5700 men and 48 women! Not many women went into engineering at the time. I have not been back on campus since about 2002. It has really changed, much more crowded and more like a urban area than a college. Bobby Dodd was our coach at the time and now the Stadium (which when I was there was known as Grant Field) is named after him. Makes me feel old, probably because I am!

I know that this might be a shock, but even though I might be a confirmed yankee from New Jersey, I am a Ga Bulldawgs fan!

In my area, there is not much in the way of "big school" football. Sure, we have Rutgers, but they are not much of a team.

My Wife's uncle (Charlie) retired to the north west Georgia mountains. He ended up getting married to an authentic Georgia Peach. She was such a fantastic lady! I think it took me all of 2 seconds to grow very fond of her.

She had this very proper side to her. She loved to sew and during one of the Dawgs/Tech games she sat in her sewing room watching the game on an old B&W tv while the rest of us watched on a big screen in an adjoining room.

Well, at one point, the Dawgs funbled and from the sewing room everybody heard an ear wrenching "OW, SHEEEEEEIT".

We all laughed. She explained later that although she was a proper southern lady, she was first a Dawgs fan.

The next year, they took me and my wife to our first live college game (again the thanksgiving Dawgs/Tech game). I was stunned! I has never been to a big college game on did not know what all the fuss was about. What an experience! I have been a Dawgs fan ever since.

Go DAWGS!

Some say that ladies go to Tech to find a husband. The odds are good, but the goods are odd:)

In the 60's we had two Gainesville High School football players that went to Tech. Billy Martin and Billy Lothridge.

The rivalry is not what it used to be but let Tech win one and it will be back!
P.S. It is still Grant Field, but Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Back