Synthetic Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the best place to order Nomacorc Synthetic Corks from?

Thanks,
Ed

Some say that ladies go to Tech to find a husband. The odds are good, but the goods are odd:) LMAO!

In the 60's we had two Gainesville High School football players that went to Tech. Billy Martin and Billy Lothridge. Remember them well! Lothridge was the QB and Martin was a big, tall receiver.

The rivalry is not what it used to be but let Tech win one and it will be back! Makes it tough when players acutally have to go to class. :)

P.S. It is still Grant Field, but Bobby Dodd Stadium.
We always referred to it as "Grant Field" but I guess the offical name was "Tech Stadium." I always thought it was odd to have a field named after a Union General, anyway

Our basefall field was called "Rose Bowl Stadium" and if I am not mistaken it was from a Rose Bowl game in 1929 where a California player (Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels) ran the wrong way and Tech won with a safety, 8-7.

Grant Field was named after Hugh Inman Grant.

I believe "Rose Bowl Stadium" was paid for with money from that game.

The University of Georgia is a national leader among public universities in the numbers of major scholarships earned by our students. We have had eight Rhodes Scholars since 1995. In the same period, our students have won 43 Goldwater Scholarships and ten Truman Scholarships, and each year we have multiple recipients of major national scholarships. In 2008, UGA was the only public university in America with two Rhodes Scholars. In 2003, UGA scored a “grand slam,” being the only public university in America with winners of the Rhodes, Marshall, Truman and Goldwater Scholarships in the same year.

P.S 2012 UGA Freshmen : 4,970 total; Avg. SAT score: 1273; Avg. GPA: 3.8

GaDawg, please believe that I never for a moment thought that Grant Field was named for Ulysses S. Grant. That was just a lame attempt at humor.

Yes, I knew that the land for Rose Bowl field was purchased with Tech's share of the '29 Rose Bowl game. It really was not much of a "stadium," more a backstop, two dugouts and a few bleachers.

That is very impressive information on the performance of Georgia students and I have no doubt that your figures are accurate. Many years ago I was impressed by honors such as "Rhodes Scholar" but in my cynical and advanced years I see them in the same light as the "honor" of the Nobel Prize for Peace awarded to such notables as Yasser Arafat, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore and Barack Obama.

It may have been an oversight but you neglected to list the positions played by those Rhodes Scholars. :)

I would recommend the Winemakers Toy Store. These guys are great! I just placed an order on Thursday and forgot to add my corks. I called them late Thursday afternoon, talked to George. He added the corks and I still got my order on Saturday! :db

I know that this topic probably has been beaten to death, but, for those of you that have tried them, will they work with the Italian Floor Corker and the Portuguese Corker?
I am just running out of space and will be bottling my whites soon, it will be easier to place them back in the cases and stack them, rather than try to make room for more shelving to lay them flat.

Thanks,
Tom
I don't think I saw this tip posted. You could just go ahead and use the corks that you have now. Just flip the boxes and stack them on their sides so that the bottles will lay flat.

Nomacorcs

Just bottled a gallon of Pink Berry and used Nomacorcs for the first time. None of the corks seated all the way. We'll see if they last.

Lots cheaper than Zork-corks though.

Just bottled a gallon of Pink Berry and used Nomacorcs for the first time. None of the corks seated all the way. We'll see if they last.

Lots cheaper than Zork-corks though.
The big question is what are you using to put them in? Every floor corker will seat and counter sink a noma cork. They all have adjustments on them.

I enjoyed reading To Cork or Not to Cork by George Taber. Same author wrote Judgement of Paris: California vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine.

51wBjAe5EeL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a plain-jane double lever hand corker- I don't have the need or the scratch for a nice floor corker. I used the same size (#9 x 1 1/2") I always use for these 375's. I tinkered with the adjustment of the corker to no avail and I'm kind of at a loss at this point. Pics Attached.

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

A double level hand corker will do that with any cork you use. The synthetic corks are even worse. It can't compress hard enough to punch it in. You are going to have to save for a floor corker of sorts or live with it.

Could you post a picture of your corker, please. From the photos above, it would seem to me that the plunger is deforming the cork as you insert the cork. These appear to be synthetic corks. Have you tried an agglomerate or natural cork? I do not use synthetic corks or that type of corker so I don't know if it works with synthetic corks. I would try to push the cork down into the corker by hand as far as you can before applying pressure from the piston. I would also try natural and agglomerated corks to see if it is an incompatiblity issue. Practice on empty bottles.

Looks as if you have too much wine in the neck of the bottles as well. Take some wine out.

Yeah--when using synthetic corks, your corker has to be able to squeeze the cork vertically into a smaller diameter THEN it push it into the bottle. A hand corker just won't do it.

We have a table-top corker. Cheaper than a floor model--probably about $50 now. We have it bolted down to a dedicated table for bottling and it does a great job on sythentics which we've been using exclusively for about 10 years now. I would never go back to regular corks which we had a lot of quality issues with, no matter where we got them from. True--you can't get them back in the bottle, but all you have to do is pick up a bag of tasting corks for when you have left-over wine.

Latest posts

Back