Synthetic Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks as if you have too much wine in the neck of the bottles as well. Take some wine out.

Great point here! That could be a large part if not the whole issue. The small amount of air in the neck is compressed as you insert the cork and "pushes back" against the action of the corker. Get a bottle and fill it with water to just above the neck and then try to insert a cork. I am betting this solves most of your problem. Let us know.

Good catch, Btom!

I've never had a problem with using synthetic corks in a floor corker. However, I have a battery powered corkscrew, and although it has no problem getting them out of the bottle, it is such a pain in the a** to get the cork out of the corkscrew afterward I just don't use it on synthetics. I revert back to my trusty manual corkscrew.

Pumpkinman also mentioned wanting to use synthetics so he could just put them back in the case instead of finding space to lay them flat. I will say I just put mine back in the box quite a bit, but I turn them upside down. Stole that tip from someone here, but it works fine.

The pictures are a little deceptive as to the the levels because the angle of the pictures, I dont think they are overfilled, but I did some more playing with these corks anyway.

I tried corking bottle with water at a coulpe of different levels including one empty bottle. Same results as with the bottles in the pictures. I have always used amalgamated corks and even though my corker left little dimples on them they always sealed with no problem. I'm thinking I should just go back to using what i know works. I just tried these synthetic ones for the sake of trying them. I played with using the Zorks for my last batch but after pushing 4 or 5 of them in by hand I decided that was a little much too.

Rocky, a picture of the corker is attached.

IMAG0402.jpg

I have used a corker similar in style to that one. It also gave me issues with my synthetic corks. However, with my floor corker they work just fine.

Portuguese Corker + Synthetic corks (preferably nomacorc) - What are the do's and don't with this process?
water/dry? sanitize/out of the bag? any other hints?

I read on some forum that it helps to pull the handle down until until the jaws grab the cork, and the top of the cork is flush with the top of the jaw, then smoothly pull down the handle to complete the process.

I've also read to just drop the cork in the well and pull down the lever until plunger contacts the top of the cork. Hold it for a second - - - -and then press the lever to drive the cork into the bottle.

Either of these methods required or helpful for successful insertion?

I get everything lined up (bottle under and cork settled in the top of the corker), and then try to use one smooth movement. I find that if I hesitate at all those are the ones that don't go all the way in. The only problem I've had (just once) was not getting the bottle properly seated underneath. When I tried to cork, the bottle fell out the side and the cork went flying. Luckily the bottle didn't break, but I did get wine all over the floor.

I get everything lined up (bottle under and cork settled in the top of the corker), and then try to use one smooth movement. I find that if I hesitate at all those are the ones that don't go all the way in. The only problem I've had (just once) was not getting the bottle properly seated underneath. When I tried to cork, the bottle fell out the side and the cork went flying. Luckily the bottle didn't break, but I did get wine all over the floor.

You don't experience the scoring though?

No, I haven't seen the issue you are seeing with scoring. I treat the nomacorcs the same as regular corks, they are waiting, floating in sulfite solution. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it might. I saw that people were saying to do the synthetics dry, but I don't, haven't had an issue yet. *knocks on wood*

. I treat the nomacorcs the same as regular corks, they are waiting, floating in sulfite solution. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it might. I saw that people were saying to do the synthetics dry, but I don't, haven't had an issue yet. *knocks on wood*[/QUOTE]

I do have some scoring with my floor corker - I bought new jaws to elimate the problem - but I have not replaced them just yet. I will use the Gilda hand corker and then the floor corker to push them in an additional 3/8 '' or so and wax the top - just on top of the cork to prevent any spoilage. it might be over kill - but it works for me
I just opened a apricot wine from 2008 tonight and it was fantastic !! and yes I am using normacs as I leave all my bottles in the upright position for space

Steve,
which kind of new jaws did you purchase, I have an Italian Floor Corker, I noticed some scoring on the corks, but I kept one inverted for 5 hrs and I had no visible leaks, but I am very much partial to purchasing new jaws that may eliminate any scoring.

I use a Portuguese corker and I might have noticed some scoring on some of my pulled corks.. But I also did as pumpkinman did and noticed no kind of leakage.. No matter how hard I tried to make it leak or slip.
\

Note when I had some bottles on their sides for atleast 3 months up to a year - then I could see some residule evidence of leaking,and upon further investigation (no police at this time ) I saw the scoring on the cork. You can take some sandpaper and deburr the sharp edge on the plastic jaw model and it might buy you a little time

I actually did a little research and found this link on this forum in 2009 !!

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20catalog/Brass%20Jaw%20Replacement.pdf

Tom ; do you have the plastic or brass jaws ? As far as I understand the plastic ones are the ones that wear out over time

brass ones =
http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=REPLACEMENT JAWS FOR PORTUGUESE FLOOR CORKER&product_id=1138

The plastic ones I ordered thru my LBS or google
REPLACEMENT JAWS FOR PORTUGUESE FLOOR CORKER
and you defintley see alot of places to purchase

Last edited:
Interesting, I had assumed you couldn't replace these. Is it possible to replace plastic with brass? Or would that be too good to be true?

deboard said:
Interesting, I had assumed you couldn't replace these. Is it possible to replace plastic with brass? Or would that be too good to be true?

I believe you can't interchange then - but I am hoping that someone will prove me different

Reviving this thread as I am about to start corking my first batch of wine. I have a Portuguese Floor Corker and have read concerns about scoring with synthetic corks. I bought Nomacorc from HomeBrewOhio a while back and cannot find the specs for the ones I bought.
I need to be able to store upright because of storage space concerns. I currently have water bottled and corked with the Nomacorc and stored it flat just an hour ago. However, my question is, if the Nomacorc is scored, will that make the wine more susceptible to oxidation? I am not too concerned about leaks as I will be storing the wine upright. I am worried that if liquid can leak out that would mean that O2 could get in when stored upright. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Reviving this thread as I am about to start corking my first batch of wine. I have a Portuguese Floor Corker and have read concerns about scoring with synthetic corks. I bought Nomacorc from HomeBrewOhio a while back and cannot find the specs for the ones I bought.
I need to be able to store upright because of storage space concerns. I currently have water bottled and corked with the Nomacorc and stored it flat just an hour ago. However, my question is, if the Nomacorc is scored, will that make the wine more susceptible to oxidation? I am not too concerned about leaks as I will be storing the wine upright. I am worried that if liquid can leak out that would mean that O2 could get in when stored upright. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Could you use the milk crates from Home Depot to hold your bottles ? They hold 25 bottles (laying flat) and you could stack the crates.

Yes if the Nomacorc corks are scored they can be susceptible to oxidation.

Push a cork thru and check it for scoring - no scoring no worries !

I heated up bottle wax and put some on top of the cork (after pushing the cork below the lip) this created an additional seal until I was able to purchase another corker and or jaws for it.

I keep all my cases upright (20 at the moment)

My Italian floor corker lightly scores the Nomacorc 900's I use and I have no leaks. My storage conditions are not ideal, so the temperature varies from 58 F to 72 F. If the bottles were going to leak I'd expect to see it in the summer. [I store bottles on their side.]

If bottles are leaking, I agree that oxidation is a potential problem. OTOH, if the wine is not getting out, I don't foresee O2 getting in more than is normal.

Before I switched to Nomacorcs, I had a problem of mold on the outside of the cork AND about 10% of the bottles exhibited small leaks, more like weeping in the first few weeks or months. I had bottles aged 2 years, that when opened had small amounts of leaked wine inside the capsule, but the wine was fine. IME the likelihood of oxidation appears low -- which doesn't mean we should not address the problem, just that bad results are not as common as may be believed.

After corking keep the bottles upright for 3 days to let pressure normalize, lay a case on its side for a week or 2. If bottles are going to leak, you'll probably see it fairly quickly. If not? Store upright.

BTW -- the 1.5" 900 series is the most common Nomacorcs I've seen on the net. Unless a different series is specified, that's most likely what you get.

Yes if the Nomacorc corks are scored they can be susceptible to oxidation.

Push a cork thru and check it for scoring - no scoring no worries !

I heated up bottle wax and put some on top of the cork (after pushing the cork below the lip) this created an additional seal until I was able to purchase another corker and or jaws for it.

I keep all my cases upright (20 at the moment)

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back