RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be even more fun if I didn't have to bottle. Don't know why but I really put off bottling and it's not really that bad. Right now all my carboys are full, so it's either bottle something or stop starting anything new.

I have about 50 bottles de-labeled and ready to clean, sanitize and fill. Just need to stop and get it done.

Ugh! :slp

Thats why I bought my new bottler! The easier it is the more likely it will get done!!! Before I was just lazy, now I just cant seem to get the dang time!!!

I start my Super Tuscan Kit this week-end. I've been cruising these posts for several months and you have all convinced me to buy this kit. Bottled a CC Maritage last night and freed-up a carboy. I've been collecting and cleaning bottles like a mad-man. I'm already thinking about buying a second kit to initiate a planned endless inventory (all based on your aged descriptions). Cellar temp is 71 despite the outside temps hitting 100 and above the past few weeks. I'm more concerned with the lack of humidity that would otherwise dry-out my corks. As Ahnold would say... "Ia'll be bock..."

I think there is more than enough humidity in MO to keep your corks from drying out, even if your using AC. Thats a great cellar temp for this time of the year with that heat!

I also started the Super Tuscan approx 40 days ago, now in carboy aging and it was also based on the overwhelming positive reviews on this forum and others.
It is also my first and so far, only Winery series kit.
Planning on trying the first bottle at christmas (6 months) and also plan on doing many more Winery series for my reds.
And like others, my cellar is approx 500 bottles but im still badly lacking a supply of good aged reds, I have 7 other kits of good reds in bottles but they were all started only 2-3 months ago or more recently
amerone
barolo (2)
brunello
cab shiraz
cal syrah
chil malbec

Yep, Alan, it is a waiting game. Worse part is once you determine the 30 bottles you made 2 years ago are now finally really great, you get to make some more and wait another 2 years for them to mature.

But isn't it fun? !!!! :try

I wouldn't have it any other way. That's why you should start making wine while you are young. Just think of all the experience you can gain down through the years.

If I could start my career over again (and not be at retirement age already), I would head straight for wine country and learn vineyard practices and wine making from the ground up. What a thrilling career that would be.

The Super Tuscan is a great wine. I have one that just came out of 4 weeks in a new barrel. I will bottle very soon so as not to lose the "oak" to any great degree.

However, I find that I am drinking a lot of wine far before the time that is normally recommended on this and other sites. It might improve substantially with age, but let me tell you, it tastes pretty good right now. For example, I made a Sangiovese in January which is about half gone. I did give away some of it, but my wife and I drank most of the wine. We did a Sauvignon Blanc early this year which is about gone and we are working on a Riesling that was made in February.

It is not that I don't have patience, more that I don't have the time to wait. We don't even buy green bananas at our age. :)

Rocky, try just savin one bottle of this one for 2 years and youll be thanking me later. I dont hord all my wine for that long but I do try and save like 5 bottles at least.

Hi Wade,
It is probably not as bad as I am protraying it. I acutally have two batches of the "Super Tuscan" going and I am sure I can save a few of them for a couple of years. I just have to make more of other wines to "protect" them. I also have two batches of Amarone going, which tastes very good now and I expect to improve with age. The early wines that I mentioned were my first in a long time so they took a lot of hits.

It is not that I don't have patience, more that I don't have the time to wait. We don't even buy green bananas at our age.

I know that feeling. The thought crosses my mind regularly - being at retirement age; knowing the nice reds I make now won't be ready for up to a couple of years. I am in good health; I intend on being around for another 20+ years, but still, it leaves me wondering what ("who") might happen my prize possession. :gb

I just started this kit tonight. I'm excited to read everyones posts about how good this kit is. I measured the specific gravity and it was a little below what they said it should be. But I think that is because the grape skins which I added in the sox thing aren't mixed up into the juice. I was surprised that the skins were in a sweet and jammy blob. So I think the sugar is in the kit to hit the SG but it isn't mixed in yet. So I'll stir awhile and check in the morning. This kits looks great!:b I tasted the juice and it tastes wonderful!
Laura

I just started this kit tonight. I measured the specific gravity and it was a little below what they said it should be.

With grape skin or raisin kits most folks don't take SG reading until the second day. The Cellar Craft Showcase instructions (with grape pack) say "Check the specific gravity and record results noting that when crushed grape pack is used the most accurate reading is obtained 12 to 24 hours after the batch is started." Mosti Mondiale actually suggests waiting 48 hours to take the first SG.

With grape skin or raisin kits most folks don't take SG reading until the second day. The Cellar Craft Showcase instructions (with grape pack) say "Check the specific gravity and record results noting that when crushed grape pack is used the most accurate reading is obtained 12 to 24 hours after the batch is started." Mosti Mondiale actually suggests waiting 48 hours to take the first SG.

Well I'll check the SG tomorrow and I'll bet it is higher than what I originally measured. The instuctions say to measure when you make up the kit on day 1. This is a Spagnols kit. So I'll check the sg tomorrow and report in.
Laura

I started this great looking kit Sunday afternoon while tending to my veal stock. Doing two things at once, I accidentally added the Bentonite to 4 gallons of water :slp I knew there was something very wrong when I went to dump the juice bag into the 23 liter capacity primary- it wasn't going to fit! Ran out to the store and replenished my bentonite and proceeded as the directions indicated- added to 4 liters of water. (a slight difference). All is well now. SG reading told me 1.096 @ 80 degree F: I add .0025 sg for the hydrometer calibration differential to give me 1.0985 for the start. I took another reading last night (Monday) and my SG was 1.096 at 74.5 degrees F. I think we're cooking.

So the RJS instructions have you add the bentonite to a gallon of water? That is so different than Cellar Craft and Mosti Mondial instructions which have you dissolve it in 8oz hot/boiling water and stir till dissolved.

Yes, that is their process. I did not follow it. I dissolved in hot water, created a slurry and deposited it into roughly 1/2 gallon of water- then added the juice, topped up with water- added the oak, skins- took an sg reading then added the yeast.

I started this great looking kit Sunday afternoon while tending to my veal stock. Doing two things at once, I accidentally added the Bentonite to 4 gallons of water :slp I knew there was something very wrong when I went to dump the juice bag into the 23 liter capacity primary- it wasn't going to fit! Ran out to the store and replenished my bentonite and proceeded as the directions indicated- added to 4 liters of water. (a slight difference). All is well now. SG reading told me 1.096 @ 80 degree F: I add .0025 sg for the hydrometer calibration differential to give me 1.0985 for the start. I took another reading last night (Monday) and my SG was 1.096 at 74.5 degrees F. I think we're cooking.

Hopefully you didn't roast the Grapes and soak the bones <G> I wonder how a good Tuscan wine reduction would taste anyway? Some of the dangers of cooking with (and drinking) wine :)

Yes, that is their process. I did not follow it. I dissolved in hot water, created a slurry and deposited it into roughly 1/2 gallon of water- then added the juice, topped up with water- added the oak, skins- took an sg reading then added the yeast.

That's a great idea. I always follow the instructions setting up primary. When I mix the bentonite in the 4 ltr of water it sticks and clumps up on the mix-stir drill. I'll have to remember to make the slurry on my next RJS kit.

Do you rehydrate these skins in the Super Tuscan kit, then add to sock? I'm confused here- please help. Not sure if the 2 plastic jars of ski s go right in as is or require a rehydration....THANKS!

Latest posts

Back