RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the oak in a separate bag, I strongly favor separation. Not for flavor so much as for a round 2 use for the oak. After the chips are spent, I dry them out or freeze them and use them on my smoker with my next batch of BBQ. Yummmm! Separate bags makes it much easier

Roger

Does this kit use wet grape pack or dried skins? I ask because other kits I have made with dried skins the SG didn't change after addition.

These are wet skins - actually tub(s) of skins jam, either two smaller jars or one large jar. The SG will definitely change.

Hello,quick question..... Just started my first kit....winery series... Super tuscan.... I didn't pitch my yeast yet... Hears my reading..... My gravity seems low.....1.086.... My temp is 83.... Abv is 11.2 brix is 21..... Are they good seem low.... Maybe the temp is to high.....should I wait a bit to pitch my yeasties?

Hello,quick question..... Just started my first kit....winery series... Super tuscan.... I didn't pitch my yeast yet... Hears my reading..... My gravity seems low.....1.086.... My temp is 83.... Abv is 11.2 brix is 21..... Are they good seem low.... Maybe the temp is to high.....should I wait a bit to pitch my yeasties?

Bet ya never seen anyone quote themselves....lol....first i`d like to thank UBB for talking me off the cliffs edge....i panic`d a little at first when i didn`t see the #`s i expected.....ok, i checked my tuscan about 2 hours ago...my skins and oak where a big floating bobber...i`m 24 hours in and my new #`s are SG 1.094...my ABV is 12.2%...my Temp is 80 ...my brix is 22....looking alot better.....question (may be dumb to most, i promise to limit them)...my skins and oak,where floating and very puffy....i pocked them down and squeezed them against the wall of the bucket...seen alot of co2 releasing...but they floated to the top, again and again....is this normal,or do i have to keep pockin to they remain down.....Thanks for reading and UBB for calming me down

Ricky, the skins and oak will continue to float to top for the whole fermentation. That is the CO2 being generated by the fermentation (sugar turning to alcohol and carbon dioxide) and it is trapped inside the bag. No problem with that. Just keep on squeezing it a few times a day. You are doing fine.

Thanks Rocky,its my first one....not sure what to expect...... but man!.... i`m really diggin it!!.... i have a long wish list with George at FVW....i`m trying to find more info on glass ball for the skin and oak bags....man , that didn`t sound right!.....so much to learn,:se

Ricky, not following you on the "glass ball for the skin and oak bags' unless you are referring to weighting the bag down with glass balls or marbles to keep the bag from rising to the top.

Yes .... That`s exactly what i mean.....i`m seeing lead ,sanitizing a problem with stainless steal...and lead with crystal ..... but being my first kit.... i`m thinking the longer the skins and oak are submerged,the better

Gotcha. I would go with SS if you can find them. The problem with SS is exposure to metabisulfite in the presence of oxygen. As the SS balls would be submerged and not exposed to oxygen, there should be no problem. After using them, wash, rinse and dry them.

Gotcha. I would go with SS if you can find them. The problem with SS is exposure to metabisulfite in the presence of oxygen. As the SS balls would be submerged and not exposed to oxygen, there should be no problem. After using them, wash, rinse and dry them.

Do you use them?..SS... if so where can i purchase them? ...Thanks for you help Rocky... I need it!....

I have not used them. I let the bag float to the top and give it a thorough squeezing about 3 times a day during primary fermentation. I suppose if I were looking for SS balls, I would get some SS ball bearings. If you do, clean them real well with a detergent (they are occasionall oiled when you get them), rinse them well and dry them. Before using them, I would spritz them with k-meta and rinse them with clear water before putting them in the bag.

I dont suberge my skins. Just punch.down twice a day and you kind of want to do that anyways to move the skins around so that the skins in the middle get shuffled some.

Latest posts

Back