RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
A beginners question,i`m using this threat ,because that`s the kit i`m using......when the time come to leave my primary bucket to my carboy....after primary fermentation....can i just(after everything is cleaned and sanitized) hook the tubing to my spickit.and drain in my carboy....not worry to much about lees.....and is head space important at this stage....2 inches from the top?.... Thanks

Yes. Fill it up to the top. Don't worry about the lees until after its done fermenting completely and you do your next racking.

Just a fyi on this kit. About early 2011 I started this Super Tuscan per hearing good comments from Wade. Well.....I just finished bottling this after aging in carboy. I always like to have a taste before bottling and it is great! Very impressed how well it turned out that I got the Mrs to make some pasta now! Will have to start another kit soon. Wonder how it will taste in another year?!!

Last edited:
Hello
A beginners question,i`m using this threat ,because that`s the kit i`m using......when the time come to leave my primary bucket to my carboy....after primary fermentation....can i just(after everything is cleaned and sanitized) hook the tubing to my spickit.and drain in my carboy....not worry to much about lees.....and is head space important at this stage....2 inches from the top?.... Thanks

Ricky, I assume you filled the primary to 23 litres, as instructed. I've made this kit and can tell you the juice from the skins adds extra in the primary and you should be able to fill very well without having to deal with the lees. Make sure you squeeze the skins as much as possible. My advice though is to avoid lees to the extent you can. You should be able to fill the carboy to within 2 inches, but as long as the wine is continuing to ferment you'll still have CO2 protection. If you're short, don't use the lees to make up the difference.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Yes. Fill it up to the top. Don't worry about the lees until after its done fermenting completely and you do your next racking.

Thanks ibglowin..... thats what i did.....looking good!!

Just a fyi on this kit. About early 2011 I started this Super Tuscan per hearing good comments for Wade. Well.....I just finished bottling this after aging in carboy. I always like to have a taste before bottling and it is great! Very impressed how well it turned out that I got the Mrs to make some pasta now! Will have to start another kit soon. Wonder how it will taste in another year?!!:dg:dg

Javila...great to hear,enjoy it.... i hope mine turns out as good as yours.... my first kit.....i just hope it`s drinkable....lol:dg

Ricky, I assume you filled the primary to 23 litres, as instructed. I've made this kit and can tell you the juice from the skins adds extra in the primary and you should be able to fill very well without having to deal with the lees. Make sure you squeeze the skins as much as possible. My advice though is to avoid lees to the extent you can. You should be able to fill the carboy to within 2 inches, but as long as the wine is continuing to ferment you'll still have CO2 protection. If you're short, don't use the lees to make up the difference.

Tony P.

TonyP....i`m in secondary....checked it thursday night and it was .994....question for you..... can i hold off on adding the additives for the next stage...i ordered an all in one pump..... and i like to use it in my next stage.... i posted some questions in the beginners threat about my situation... if ya have a second, check it out, i`d like your and everyone`s opinion

TonyP....i`m in secondary....checked it thursday night and it was .994....question for you..... can i hold off on adding the additives for the next stage...i ordered an all in one pump..... and i like to use it in my next stage.... i posted some questions in the beginners threat about my situation... if ya have a second, check it out, i`d like your and everyone`s opinion

You said you've eliminated gross lees, topped off, and I assume the wine is under airlock. There is absolutely no urgency in stabilizing / clearing. The yeast will continue their activity at a minimum rate, so the wine will get a bit drier and the SG will move slowly toward 0.990. All that is fine. Waiting will probably make degassing easier, as the wine will degas on its own.

This your chance to get used to being patient.

If you haven't done so, keep the wine in a dark place or cover the carboy.

Tony P.

Last edited:
I'm at 9 months with this wine. It's pretty darn good very little 'kit' taste to it especially compared to a Barolo that is on the same time table.

Latest posts

Back