RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
I purchased adn started an supertuscan from RJ Spagnols. It has gotten off to a great start and I should be able to do the second racking shortly after Christmas and bottle some time in mid-January according to the instructions. I have not made wine since grad school 10+ yrs ago and was never very successful then but I am excited and hopeful for this current batch. But in reading the instructions it says the wine should be stored after bottling under 65 degrees. Of course I have no way of storing 2 1/2 cases of wine at that temp. Any suggestions?

If I store it at room temp in a closet, probably low 70's how will that effect the wine. Will simply mature faster or will it not develop correctly and so not taste right?

TIA, Paulc

I am brand new to this forum and I really like it so far. Yet one more way to lose track of time in the evenings!

Is this the Winery series with the grape pack? If so you are in for a treat! Storing at room temp is ok and will age your wine a little faster but it will still store for a few years no problem especially if you use good quality #9 x 1.75 corks. Remember that stable temps are much more important then cooler temps. Temp changes will make the wine breathe out their S02 and breathe in 02 oxidizing your wine during this contraction and expansion. Welcome to this forum!

consistency of temp is the most important thing. Even if it is kept at 70*, if it does not fluctuate more than 2* a day, 10* a week, you will be ok. Also, make sure it is out of the light during storage. Many of the rules are for long term storage, if you plan on drinking this after one year, you will be fine.

It is the kit with the grape pack, and it seemed really promising so I hope I have done it all well enough to get the best results. And if this works I want to try their Brunello kit as well. My wife and I were just in Tuscany in October so I am hot for anything from there, especially Montepulciano area stuff.

Of course I have supplies left over from grad school, specifically corks, that look like they are still good. Any thoughts on using corks that are 10 or more years old? Thanks, Paulc

It is the kit with the grape pack, and it seemed really promising so I hope I have done it all well enough to get the best results. And if this works I want to try their Brunello kit as well. My wife and I were just in Tuscany in October so I am hot for anything from there, especially Montepulciano area stuff.

Of course I have supplies left over from grad school, specifically corks, that look like they are still good. Any thoughts on using corks that are 10 or more years old? Thanks, Paulc

I like to save money but I would say just buy some new corks. Why let some bacteria that might have taken up home in the corks ruin the wine you make :)

Don't jeopardize a great kit with probably dry corks - get some new good ones - if you keep some of this for a few years, you'll be happy you did.

Toss the corks in the garbage!!! Sorry, I didnt see that question earlier.

Please let us know how this turns out, and if you get the chance take a few sips to let me know earlier. I am going to be buying a mid to high level wine kit in a month and I'm considering this one.

What type of oak

I just picked this kit up today and will be staring it soon....Can anyone tell me what type of oak is included with the kit, the type is not on the bag...I want to order some oak for this and a few other kits, idealy all at one time...

Thx,

heard nothing but good things about this one....

I just picked this kit up today and will be staring it soon....Can anyone tell me what type of oak is included with the kit, the type is not on the bag...I want to order some oak for this and a few other kits, idealy all at one time...
According to the product description on the RJ Spagnols web-site it is untoasted American Oak shavings.

Steve

Last edited:
Pretty sure I posted this under another thread but I bottled mine about 2 weeks ago. It seemed "okay" but this is my first kit and so I have no idea what to expect from a very young super tuscan. The most notable thing to me was that there was still some grape taste...oak was not really noticeable. But I followed the directions to a T so I expect/hope this is just what it tastes like at bottling.

It would be cool to hear what you think if you taste yours at about 6 wks. I did not bulk age. Paul

Sorry, its been almost 4 years now since I made mine. Id go with what cpfan said though as he knows more about these kits then probably anyone else here!!! he is an excellent reference for stuff like this and wine making to top it off. Jut make sure to include all the info about te kit and brand or he'll tear your head off!!! :) Hehehe

Paul,

If you read through these forums, there are a lot of posters with lots of kit making under their belts. They all agree that this wine is one of the better reds out there. At 6 weeks, you really can't tell what the wine will turn into...You bottled at 6 weeks, not a problem, but just let it sit...Its hard to do, but it should get good if not great with time. In the meantime, start another wine...I can taste mine at 6 weeks and let you know, but I'm sure I already know the answer....

You got lucky and picked a good kit as your first...I stated with a few lower end kits, and was not happy....I almost got out of the hobby, but the owner of my LHBS gave me a few bottles of his own to try to change my mind....

Wild Duk, It would be great to hear your impressions at 6 weeks. And yeah, I get the bit about being patient...I keep thinking I want to do a "quick" batch so I can start drinking my own wine fast but everything that catches my eye is gonna need to sit at least 6 months...

Paul,

If you read through these forums, there are a lot of posters with lots of kit making under their belts. They all agree that this wine is one of the better reds out there. At 6 weeks, you really can't tell what the wine will turn into...You bottled at 6 weeks, not a problem, but just let it sit...Its hard to do, but it should get good if not great with time. In the meantime, start another wine...I can taste mine at 6 weeks and let you know, but I'm sure I already know the answer....

You got lucky and picked a good kit as your first...I stated with a few lower end kits, and was not happy....I almost got out of the hobby, but the owner of my LHBS gave me a few bottles of his own to try to change my mind....

That's some good advice. As you make more and more kits and taste them as they progress, you will become a better judge as to how they are going to end up. Still, the ending is always a surprise... usually a nice one.

Wild Duk, It would be great to hear your impressions at 6 weeks. And yeah, I get the bit about being patient...I keep thinking I want to do a "quick" batch so I can start drinking my own wine fast but everything that catches my eye is gonna need to sit at least 6 months...

I know, I know what they say, but other than a fun summer wine kit (mist wine), I have never been thrilled with the results of a kit wine at six months.

When I first started, I made two kits, both recommended as being good at 6 months. Boy! was I disappointed. There wasn't anything wrong with the mine... just my expectations.

But if you have to drink a nice kit young, try some of the WineXpert kits; they tend to be drinkable a littler earlier (IMO and IME).

Also, many of the less expensive kits tend to be "drinkable" earlier. The term "drinkable" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

Well, I drank my first bottle of the super tuscan...after only 2 weeks in the bottle.

It has changed dramatically in only 2 weeks! The grape taste has been replaced with an undefined fruit with maybe some leather? The oak was noticeable tonight as well. It was actually very nice I thought considering what I was expected when I bottled it. I will open the second bottle next January.

paulc

I started this same kit earlier this month. Just racked it yesterday, did some vacuum degassing, and topped it up. I held off on the fining agents (per their website's bulk aging page) and will age it for hopefully about 9-12 months. I'll try to report back as I taste it. Right now, at about 28 days, it's just way to harsh to make a judgement :)

I struggled with wanting to drink some early while my good ones aged. Only thing I would add to the convo is the recommendation of adding Biolees and/or Surlees to your kits. I do it on all my kits now after doing a batch where I took two bottles out then added biolees to the batch and tasted them blindly together after a few months. The one with the Biolees was much smoother and drinkable and easily identifiable by several drinkers.
Cheers!

I just received my RJS super tuscan with skins. Since I travel for my job, I will be away a few days during the primary fermentation. The instructions say to daily stir the wine skins back under the must. Is it okay if I add a few marbles to weight the bag o' skins so they stay submerged and won't dry out?

The kit came with american oak. Has anyone substituted the medium french oak spirals during the clarifying/ageing stage?

Back