RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received my RJS super tuscan with skins. Since I travel for my job, I will be away a few days during the primary fermentation. The instructions say to daily stir the wine skins back under the must. Is it okay if I add a few marbles to weight the bag o' skins so they stay submerged and won't dry out?

The kit came with american oak. Has anyone substituted the medium french oak spirals during the clarifying/ageing stage?

A cap may still form even if you do that, and I think punching it down is mostly to introduce O2 and not to keep the skins from drying.

You may want to have someone come stir it for you, or start after you get back, plus you should be checking the SG and temp at least daily anyway.

Substituting oak is not a bad idea if you know your using the amount you need/want.

Any problem with using the enclosed american oak during primary and the french med toast spirals during clarifying/ageing? Is that too many "tastes".

Any problem with using the enclosed american oak during primary and the french med toast spirals during clarifying/ageing? Is that too many "tastes".

That's up to you, personally I'd just do the spirals though.

Thanks... I'll plan on just using the french oak.

Just to confuse matters, I believe and I have read others comment that most kits have less oak than many people expect. Theory being that we can add oak but can't subtract it. That said, I always use the oak that comes with the kits AND then add one or two American or French spirals, or 3oz of Hungarian cubes. I add during aging and check taste every two weeks. I am a bit of an oak monster though.

Last edited:
I also have this wine bulk aging. I belive im coming up on the 4 mouth mark now. I also had it in my oak barrel for 3 weeks. I plan on bottling sometime in the fall.

What wine would you use to top this off with? I know down the road after I racked it again I will need to top it off.

What wine would you use to top this off with? I know down the road after I racked it again I will need to top it off.

You don't list any wines you have bottled already. My first choice would be something you love that you have already bottled. If you have not yet bottled then how about marbles? Do a forum search of marbles and lots of discussion will appear. or we could just start arguing it out hear and now. :gb

I like the idea of using marbles, just not to sure about dropping them into a glass carboy.

I like the idea of using marbles, just not to sure about dropping them into a glass carboy.

Do the search :) . . . You drop them in when it is full and they just plop to the bottom. Be sure not to get ones with lead, to clean them real good and spray your sanitizer on them. I keep mine in a glass jar of sanitizer.

Someone mentioned putting them in a nylon and then lowering that down and once its done you rack off and then extract the marbles by tilting the carboy on its side so that you dont get one huge lump in a sack that wont come out. Ive never used the marbles myself so Im just throwing ideas out.
Google Suer Tuscan blend and youll come up with many different varietals that can be added. Most common would be a Cabernet Sauv. Syrah, Merlot, Cab Franc, Sangiovese, and Petite Verdot.

I've been buying the cheap 1.5L bottles on sale for topping off, like the Barefoot merlot for $7.99, and then you have a 1.5L empty bottle.

7.99 for 1.5L of wine? I wish.. In Canada the taxes are so high the cheapest wine is 750ml for that price. What I do is just make a cheap kit and use that to top off my kits. Plus, I only top off once, after degassing/clarifying to keep topping off to a minimum.

I top off reds with red wine and whites with white wine. I don't get more specific than that.

Had to share, Just received the super tuscan kit (heavy kit). This will be my first kit that includes grape skins....wanted to try something different. Got a 3 day weekend coming so i will be makn wine in the man space ! :h

Please save a few bottles and let them age to about 2 years, man does this kit turn to gold!!!!!

I just tried my first bottle of this (its only been in the bottle for 2 months) and wow is it delicious Could be my favorite of the 25 or so kits I've made in the last year and a half. Can't wait to see how this develops in the next year(s).

Please save a few bottles and let them age to about 2 years, man does this kit turn to gold!!!!!

This kit is finishing fermenting and amora is awesome, color is ruby red ! Wondering if I can start drinking/bottling now?! :h :b :ib

I just picked up this kit today. Hopefully I'll start this and another one this week. Also got the amarone.

Patience will be tough! the cellar is getting low on the stuff I can drink now. I cringe now when I'm at the store buying wine now knowing I have lots of good stuff that's just not ready.

Back