stuck Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemc

Reaction score
I need help. on 10/29/11 I bought 5 gal of red zin juice and pitched yeast on the 30th. The Sg was 1.095. Checked the following Sat. and It was 1.08.
I added another yeast, checked it yesterday and it is 1.08. It is in my kitchen so temp. is not an issue.
This is my 4th wine and never had a problem with ferminatation.

what can I had to get it going. Would adding oak chips right off the bat prevent fermination? Because I did.
John

Even thou this is in your kitchen it still might be a temp issue. This time of the year, fermentation have a rough time starting. To warm to turn the heat on and to cold for a easy start fermentation. I just had a problem with catawba starting, I added heat and it took off.

Check you tempp and get it up around 74 - 76 degrees.

John, I am a little confused by your posting. You say that you bought the wine on the 29th (Saturday) and pitched the yeast on the 30th (Sunday) when the SG was 1.095. Then you checked it on the following Saturday, which would be the day after tomorrow(?).

In any case, with such a healthy SG, as long as you did not drop some Potassium Sorbate into the juice, you should be able to get that fermenting by raising the temperature as Julie suggested. I live in Ohio and my kitchen temperature is typically about 67-69 this time of year. I would try to get the temp up about 10 degrees if I were doing it in my house.

Last edited:
John, I am a little confused by your posting. You say that you bought the wine on the 29th (Friday) and pitched the yeast on the 30th (Saturday) when the SG was 1.095. Then you checked it on the following Saturday, which would be the day after tomorrow(?).

In any case, with such a healthy SG, as long as you did not drop some Potassium Sorbate into the juice, you should be able to get that fermenting by raising the temperature as Julie suggested. I live in Ohio and my kitchen temperature is typically about 67-69 this time of year. I would try to get the temp up about 10 degrees if I were doing it in my house.

Rocky, you beat me to the post. I was just checking my calendar. +1 to what you said. When he got the juice, I'm guessing it was pretty cold (probably in the 40's F). Without help, it would take at least a few days to get the temperature up enough to wake up the yeast.

Sorry people.
It was the week before that I picked it up.When I posted it was early before work and I didn't check the calender.
john

Sorry people.
It was the week before that I picked it up.When I posted it was early before work and I didn't check the calender.
john

No problem. Like already said, warm it up and gently stir up everything off the bottom of the bucket. If it doesn't start in about 72 hours, I would guess neither of your yeast packets were viable, which happens, so get some more yeast. Next time use a yeast starter so you will know ahead of pitching it that the yeast are viable.

What is the ambient temp?
What strain(s) of yeast did you use?
Do you know the pH?

If youve used 2 yeasts and it moved but not much its either a temp problem or a high sulfite or sorbate problem. I cant think of anything else it could be. If your bucket is sitting on a cold floor it will suck that cold up from the floor so despite the ambient room temp the must will still be cold. I would try raising the temp and probably look into making a yeast starter if needed and slowly add your must to this starter a little at a time. You could also try stirring the crap ot of it if its a sulfite problem to get the sulfite out. If its a sorbate problem somehow this batch is doomed for the drain.

Hi, I checked the temp again after all the replies and it was about 70 so I moved to the basement in front of a baseboard heater and turned iton. One thing after looking thru my notes I did add 1/2tsp. of potassium meta.
From the time I added the the first yeast, I stired the must 2x a day.
I will keep you posted unless you all think the meta is the cause?
john

I add meta by weight, not volume, so i cannot say for sure, but I think that was a double dose. You need to get the SO2 down and pitch another yeast.

Yep thats twice as much although some brands (Crosby & Baker I think) state that. Im not sure if their brand is less potent or not but the norm is 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons and Ive heard a lot of people now have this problem with the 1/2 tsp addition. Stir it up really good and try another yeast if need be.

Yes it was crosby & baker and it is printed on the label. I will follow what you posted.
Thank You for the help and I will let you know what happens.
John

I still dont know why Crosby & Baker lists this but its the only time I see these posts with people having fermentation problems. Please do not follow these instructions on future batches and Im willing to bet a paycheck you wont have this problem again! Stirring and warming it up to mid to high 70's should get this going as is.

Wade,
I have been stirring 2x a day and had it next to a baseboard heater since 11/5. Temp has been a steady 75 degrees, I just checked the SG and it is still @ 1.08. same as day 1.
Should I give up and throw it out! Is there anyway I can use it like it is? maybe rack it to clear and fortify with brandy and make port? I don't know what to do but this has me frustrated. I picked the juice up on 10/16/11.
The store that I got it from said they picked up 15 different 5's for people but this same thing happened to a guy that bought 2 5's of merlot, but only to one of them.
Anything you can tell me will help.
Thanks,
John

john, out of curiousity, did your zin start to ferment yet? i bought some italian juice off a local place in luzerne county and mine seems to be slow fementing,

John, you need to warm the must up. This is the same exact problem I had with the catawba, it was at 70 degrees and would not ferment, I brought the must up to 74 degrees and it took off, I also added nutrient and energizer.

If you do not have a brew belt wrap a heating pad around it, it will take about a day to get it started but I really think this will work.

Thank you Julie, I will try it after work tonight. I did add energizer before, how much of each should I add?
John

Thank you Julie, I will try it after work tonight. I did add energizer before, how much of each should I add?
John

Not sure, I just added what the instructions on the bottle said.

FFemt128 had the same problem as well. We both went to Presque Isle and bought Catawba and niagara. Our niagaras were going before we even got them home but we both had issues with the catawba. I put mine in my laundry room were the temp is pretty constantly 76 degrees, my must was 70 degrees, no fermenting. Added nutrient and energizer, still no ferment. started a yeast starter had if really going great, died when I put it in the must, put the brew belt around it, about 24 hours later maybe a little longer, must was up to 74 degrees and there was small signs of fermentation, the next morning it was in a full blast fermentation.

I think this will work for you and if it doesn't then you will know it is something else.

Latest posts

Back