Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd even have enough for a nice sized f-pak. You could even use some lactose sugar to give it some creamy-ness

We have a local winery that makes strawberry wine like that Crackedcork and also does some of it as Champagne and both are to die for. I made some Strawberry Champagne with 3 cans of Vintners Harvest to a 3 gallon batch and it came out really nice!

Bert,
I think I will do that F-pack.

Kemo,
where are you getting berries at? .... you pick?

Either the freezer section at costco with will generally get you 12 lbs for around $16-$18, or during the summer you can get them at the grocery store (randalls/ tom thumb, kroger, walmart, ect...) for $1/ lb or under.
If you find a deal then be absolutely shameless!! Last year I got around 15 lbs worth at Randalls and then went to kroger for another 10. You can generally find the same deal for Cherries, Blueberries, and Blackberries. The exceptions are Cranberries and Plums.... their even cheaper! I caught Cranberries at Aldi for 29 cents for a 12 oz bag, and plums at Market Street(Sort of like a Whole Foods) at 8 small plums for $1.
The only thing is you have to be willing to wait for them to go on sale in the spring and summer, which is theagonizingpart. Good hunting!

I plan to do an F-pack and to back sweeten.....Did strawberry mead a while back and left it dry...Had great strawberry smell, but expecting that nice strawberry taste just wasn't there in the dry mead...plan to try to fix that....

What was your recipe Bert, do you think the taste was just because it was to dry? What kind of honey did you use?CC

Can't find the notes on this one, but as I remember it, the honey was from Sam's Club and the strawberries also....2qts. of honey and 2qts of strawberries, for a 3 gal. batch.....And yes, pretty weak on the strawberries...bottled this in '05....The mead is pretty nice with a nice strawberry smell, just little strawberry taste....I add 2TBS of simple syrup to each bottle as I open them, this does help bring out a bit of strawberry taste...I'm still on a learning curve

Just remember that when making a true mead the fruit amount should be down some compared to a wine. the honey should come through first with a good hint of berry behind and not over power the honey. But also remember its your wine and to go nuts!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back