Quantcast

Strawberry wine from Wine Maker Mag

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

B-well4200

Reaction score
I just started the Strawberry wine from Jack Keller in this month's issue of The Wine Maker magazine. I think its going to turn out great. The only thing is it called for 2 tsp of citric acid and I did not have any, so I used the juice from 1.5 lemons instead. Has anyone used fresh sqeezed lemon juice instead of citric acid before? I read that you could use that as a substitue. Also, the receipe did not say anything about a campden tablet, so I used one anyway.

Alexander

Junior
Reaction score
Hi B-well,
I am quite new to this myself but a book I have here has "1/2oz citric acid OR 3 lemons, no pith, in lieu" for many recipies. I have tried both and found no difference.
Regards

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Jacks recipes usually doesnt mention campden tablest because he thinks everyone already knows to use them.

Ceegar

Reaction score
I just started a 1 gal batch a few hours ago. A couple of Jack's recipes call for acid blend - I don't have plain citric so I used acid blend. I also used 5 lbs of strawberries instead of 3-1/2. I don't know how full bodied 3-1/2 lbs would turn out, but I wanted to make sure it was so I added 1-1/2 lbs more. Hopefully it won't hurt. Plus I don't have the yeast he recommended so I think I'm going to pitch some Cote des Blanc.

Last edited:

B-well4200

Reaction score
Luc,
Thanks for the info. I went yesterday and bought some citric acid, so hopefully I can prevent that problem from happening again.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
citric acid and tartaric acids are in the baking aisle of your local supermarket..

Allie

B-well4200

Reaction score
That's good to know becouse I got it at a local winery. Didn't know they had it in supermarkets. Thanks

susanppt

Junior
Reaction score
i am about to start this also. did you add potassium metabisulphite? when and how much?

B-well4200

Reaction score
I used one crushed campden tablet. I added it after I poured the water over the strawberries and sqeezed the juice out of them. Waited 24 hrs before I added the yeast. Beware, don't sqeeze the banana's when you strain it like I did, just let it drip. Good luck and keep me posted on the progress.

susanppt

Junior
Reaction score
how much yeast did you use? i have a packet, but it says it is for 5-6 gallons of wine. do i only use 1/5 of the packet?

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Susan,

for a 1 gallon recipe use about a quarter of the yeast packet and store the remainder in an airtight container in the fridge..

Allie

Ceegar

Reaction score
Hi Susan,

for a 1 gallon recipe use about a quarter of the yeast packet and store the remainder in an airtight container in the fridge..

Allie
I do that too cuz I figure if 1 packet is good for 5-6 gals of wine, then less than a whole packet will do the trick for one gallon. Anything over 1 gal I've been using the whole thing. I've yet to do a batch over 3 gals - prolly when the juice comes around I will though.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
1 whole packet will give you a great fermentation! I have started to halve the packet for 2 uses of a gallon each. It slows the fermentation some which is a good thing IMO.
Steve