Strawberry question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats DF!
smiley32.gif

Thank you all for your congratulations. It has been quite a six month whirlwind of change. My wife is just now adjusting the full scale of my wine hobby. Last week, Cheryl was complaining about a foul smell in our apartment, thinking one of the dogs had left us a treat. It then dawned on me that she did not recognize the scent of 15 lbs of peaches in a full-blown fermentation.

You see to me, that smell is better than any perfume I know of! I love walking in the house and smelling yeasty fruit! It's wonderful!

20070621_154325_strawberry_Smal.jpg

Indeed it is a wonderful smell, should start happening by tomorrow. Put this together yesterday, pitched the yeast when I got home today. What a great place Southern Princess land is, with its bounty of fresh ripe strawberries!

WOW!!!!...you got a nice batch going there....What's all in there????

I'm still putzing around eating, sharingand freezing the leftovers...got 15# in the freezer now...picking a few less everyday...so really hoping for 25#...if not will hope for the later crop on the Everbearers.Edited by: Northern Winos

JW, I would have put the berries in a fruit bag(strainer bag) during the primary ferment. I did it one time like you did and it took me a ton of rackings to get rid of the lees and fruit gunk. The strawberries kind of dissolve and it is a royal pain to get out. The bag retains most of the pulp and the juice runs out easily. Now I use a bag for all the strawberry and raspberry wines. Let us know how yours does with the fruit like you have it.
Are you sure you don't just want to make that into a shortcake or smoothie it looks so good
smiley36.gif

Geeezzzzzzz JW.....Can you drink your wine and eat it too buddy? Man that looks good !!!!Edited by: Waldo

I to use the bag for all fruits, its just easier for me to lift out, squeeze, and chuck.

I thought I saw a banana in there...Or..... I was hoping that was a banana and that you hadn't sneezed in there ...or something.
smiley2.gif

The only batch I ever did with banana in it I started out with everything in the buckets...the next day I scooped it all into a couple sanitized straining bags and was glad I did.Edited by: Northern Winos

Now I have to decide if I want to bag it up or not, kinda gotten away from using the straining bag, putting my new found patience to work...actually, I was making a banana split, well, one thing led to another , and now its wine
smiley36.gif
, I didn't pitch the ice cream though, at least not into the fermenter.

Succumbed to peer pressure today and bagged her all up, fermentation going wild!

20070624_193159_berryferm_Small.jpg

Behind to the right is the rhubarb, tasted it today, think its a keeper!

That looks much easier to clean especially when its all broken up and
all those little tiny seeds arent in your must to have to settle out.
That Rhubarb looks like my W.E. Symphony

JWM...I was amazed at how my strawberry foams when stirred. It looks like yours does the same. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Back