Strawberry/Grape Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGrav

Reaction score
I will probably post some background lateron this wine, but I've got a question that you guys might be able to answer.

20061106_221638_WhiteSpecks.jpg

Look closely around the neck of the carboy.
I noticed some white specks of I'm not sure what around the neck and clinging to the glass around the top third. I don't see any of this in suspension that is not floating around the neck. I racked last week, added 5 campden, sorbate, sugar, all dissolved in wine. Didn't notice anything after rack. Any ideas? I pulled the lock and tasted a little wine, no off flavors or smells that I can tell. Is this undissolved sulfite/sorbate?

There are also some tiny (strawberry seeds?) in suspension a few inches above the bottom. I wasn't planning tofine because it looked really clear before but now I'm not sure. I have a bag of bentonite. Would you recommend this for this wine? It has a nice rose color to it. Does fining necessitate filtering?
LTEdited by: OGrav

Looks like sulphite residue to me OGray. It will leave a residue on about anything it comes in contact with when it dries. Especially glass.
As for fining, your choice butI don't. I would let it continue to bulk age and they will settle on out. If you do use the bentonite do it exactly according to instructions because i understand it can impart off flavors to your wine if used in excess.

I concur with the sulfite. As for fining, I dont think that you need to but prefer SuperKleer when needed.

Do you know if this sulphite residue is particular to the tablets? Thought there might be some fillers in them. I think I may pick up some of the bulk sulphite if that is the case.
Thanks

Here begins the chronicle of this Strawberry/Grape wine. This probably isn't a final version of the recipe and I'll make note of things I'd do different in the future. Should be worth a laugh in a couple places. Here goes:

May 16
Prepared sterilizer solution 4TBL sulphite to gallon
Prepared starter for five gallons
2C prev boiled water

¼ tsp acid blend, ½ tsp fermax nutrient, 2 TBL sugar,
Most of a package of Lalvin K1116, I measured it out and had at least a full tsp. Mixed in quart mason jar.

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date w:st="on" Year="300" Day="17" Month="5">May 17, 0300</st1:date>, yes that late
Sterilized bucket, funnel, hydrometers and test jar, and nylon bag.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
15 pints of berries ended up being about 16lbs. Measured on scale with me subtract bucket. Looked over a few recipes and decided to take middle ground from most of them.

16lbs berries, walmart had sale, .98 a lb, rinsed, hulled, chopped well.

4.5 campden tablets, (had a half tablet), berries were pretty clean, took out any bad spots, also bag and bucket still little bit wet with sterilant.

4 tsp acid blend to start, recipe calls for 5, thought I would need to add more, smart to start low. Easy to add, hard to take away.

2.25 tsp pectic enzyme. Had to make an educated guess. Directions on enzyme say both ½ tsp per gallon, (2.5 tsp), and 1/10 tsp per pound of fruit, (1.5 tsp). The method I am using is different than most due to strawberries, lots of pectins. You let the sulfite and the enzyme work on the berries with half the water for a day before you add the yeast.

¾ tsp tannin

I chopped up all the berries into the bag suspended in the bucket. Takes a LONG time, get help. Added about 1.5 gallons to cover berries of lightly warmed (got out of fridge) water with pectic enzyme, crushed and dissolved campen tablets, acid blend, and wine tannin. Tannin is very sticky.

Starter is going well, swirled and put in the dark covered by napkin.

Starter foaming well
Mixed berries

Mixed berries

<st1:date w:st="on" Year="2130" Day="17" Month="5">May 17, 2130</st1:date>
Added water, sugar, nutrient and yeast
Dissolved sugar and nutrient in warm water. I thought 16 pounds of berries when removed, would take out about 1.5 gallon of volume, we’ll see. I raised the bag and only had about 2 gallons of juice so far. By the time I got everything dissolved and mixed and sugar to where I wanted it. I had about 6 gallons of volume.
4 tsp regular nutrient, 1 tsp fermax nutrient. Fermax is like a nutrient/energizer, and has yeast hulls in it.
Sugar to 1.090 gravity, in this case about 20.5 Cups, just over ten pounds.
Titrated acid, about .65, little bit high if I am measuring correctly but will decrease with fermentation. Next time use 3 tsp and work up.
Swirled yeast and added to must, stirred shallowly.
Yeast action was immediate, within an hour it was foaming.
I was a little spooked about the foam coming over the edges of container, only had about three-four inches to work with. I took a 1.75 liter wine bottle of must off of the drain cock and held in fridge, two days later added it back in.

May 18,
Foaming well, stirred
stirred

May 19
stirred
added back rest of must, shouldn’t foam too much more than it already is.
Throwing off a lot of CO2. Not much left of the berries. Hope I didn’t overshoot the water.

May 20
Moved outside to garage for B.Day party, temp from 69 at night to 78 during day, not too bad. Covered with towels. I don’t think I could do much better inside unless AC is running.
Time to look where I am going to put this stuff for the next couple months.

May 22
Moved back inside yesterday. Fermentation has slowed down noticeably. Took out bag of pulp. Ended up being about a half gallon loss. Yeast and enzyme action did a number on the strawberries. Got a little more juice than I figured out of them. Took a reading. .996! Checked twice. Had to rotate hydrometer fast there was so many bubbles sticking to it. I had to rack it two days early, it was only five days and all the sugar was about gone. I guess that nutrient and warm weather really sped things along.

Strawberry/Grape Wine continued: Sorry for no pics yet, it didn't occur to me what a good tool they would become. As for the acid measurements, I was using a too weak solution of NAOH, so I thought my acid was really high. It's a learning process
smiley36.gif

LT

Was reading one recipe that added in Welch’s pure white grape juice concentrate to basically the same ingredients I had. Said strawberry wines are often thin. I racked some wine into s.s. bowl and added a can of concentrate to it. Thought this would be a good way to add some sugar as well as some body. Recipe added 1 to a gallon, I ended up going with three cans to the five gallons plus I added in another cup of sugar. Had concerns about added acid along with concentrate, tasted 1 can mixed with 1 quart, didn’t seem too acidic. I used a funnel to put this into the carboy first. Splashed a bit, but I couldn’t see another way around it, other than me trying to run it down the side. It was only a half gallon out of five anyway. Still working on my siphoning techniques. Took a couple times before I had a strong siphon. Can’t figure out how I can siphon gas without spilling a drop but can’t accomplish a rack without at least one mess. The clamp on the racking tube isn’t all that strong. When I went to rack to bowl, the whole thing came up and over to the floor. Future note-strawberry wine full of fermenting yeast, CO2, and at least 12% alcohol, will burn your eyes like holy hell. Got everything cleaned up again and proceeded. Left a couple inches headspace in carboy for foam. Had almost a gallon extra, and would have been great if I had another gallon jug to ferment alongside it. As it is I think 5.5 gallons to start would be good. Should give you enough for carboy and a couple quarts extra to top off later if you need. Checked acid and gravity. Gravity went up 10,11 points to 1.006/7. Should be another alcohol point when it ferments out. Acid concerns me. Either my measuring is off, chemicals are bad, or it is off the chart. I stopped at about 1.2%. If it is that high, I’m hoping since most of that is citric, it will be burned up in the fermentation. Doesn’t taste too acidic, but at this point I’m an idiot and would probably feel the same about battery acid. Will check again next racking. Does active fermentation have effect on measurement? I racked extra into 1.5 liter? wine bottle and 2 16oz juice bottles and placed in fridge. Checked a couple hours later. Fridge slowed down yeast thank God.
May 23
Tasted some of the cold wine, that didn’t have juice added. Not too terrible, but not as good as the blueberry. I might not be a white/rose type of guy. Still awfully yeasty and quite harsh but it does have alcohol in it. Took some in juice glass, added tsp of sugar, I think once it mellows, hopefully it will be a lot better. Carboy fermenting immediately, put in dining room covered with jacket.
May 27
Fermenting slowing little to1 bubble every 2 seconds. I don’t think this wine is going to last as long as the other. Temp around 77-8.
May 30
Almost stopped fermenting, down to a bubble every minute or so. Few more days and I’ll get another carboy ready.
June 5
smiley5.gif

Noticed some white threads of (mold?) on top of carboy, clinging to glass. Don’t know what that’s about. Fermentation has stopped.
June 6
After some research, I think I narrowed it down to aerobic wild yeast that will grow when it has too much airspace. After the sugar fermented out I had about three inches from the top, still not too much. A couple things could have helped cause this: Too much airspace after the sugar worked out. Maybe the sulphite level was too low. I remember rinsing out the carboy with the sterilant, source said that helps. Carboy was in a big room, lot of air traveling around it, maybe closet like other would be better. Last thing I can think of is that the cork worked its way a little loose. I took some of the wine I had left over in the fridge, tasted it, it improved noticeably. Then I crushed up six campden tablets for the 5.5 gallons of wine, mixed it with the small amount and topped off the carboy about an inch from the top. Reference says if caught early, treat with sulphite and rack, it might even make it smoother. I’ll try to rack tomorrow, we’ll see.
June 9
Got another carboy yesterday. Spent most of this morning getting everything ready to rack the wine. To my surprise, that same white yeast was growing in my racking tube and cane. I rinsed out the tube and cane with the sterilant before I dried it. Maybe it wasn’t long enough. I hope this stuff didn’t come from the other blueberry wine. Don’t know if it was just floating around or if the strawberries had some on them. I’m hoping that was the case. When I picked up the carboy, the clerks said that this was kind of rare. I hope so, five gallons is a lot to throw away if it can’t be rescued. Also said to use one campden tablet per gallon for concentrates or juice and two per gallon for fresh fruit. That seems like a lot, but I probably will do six next time for five gallons. I am up to 10.5 tablets for this batch. There is a measurement for SO2 in the wine, but the shop didn’t have the kit. I rinsed the carboy out with hot water then let it sit for over a half hour with the sterilant (sulfite) solution under stopper. I made up a bleach solution and put all the equipment into it for an hour, hydrometers, racking stuff, funnel, etc. It had definitely worked out all of the sugar, .990. Racked the wine with little excitement. I was able to get most of it. Bunched up a towel under one side and put the cane on the other. Didn’t start to suck up sediment until the last inch. I brought in the wine I had put into the refrigerator and topped up mostly with that. The wine bottle was under so much pressure that all the rest was thrown back into suspension so I used the 2C juice bottle. Later the wine bottle cork popped off and shot wine over a three foot radius before I could release the pressure.
smiley36.gif
Almost wish the wife was there to see it. The acid was still high at about 12-13%. I topped off the rest, about three cups, with water. I only left about an inch headspace. Hopefully what little dilution there was will help with the acid. If I do this recipe again, I should add the grape juice at the beginning and hold off on the tannin and acid additions. I was wondering whether to fine it or not but decided to let the yeast work and fall out by itself. It might ferment just a bit more due to whatever sugar was left in the juice. I’ll give it a few more weeks to clear, then I’ll stabilize, sweeten if needed, and rack again.

Strawberry/Grape Wine cont:

July 10
Everything looks good. The wine is pretty clear. I topped off the water lock to make sure it doesn’t dry out. Will be looking at racking and stabilizing soon.
Sept 26
Left alone covered for over a month. Still under water lock. Checked yesterday, sediment dropped, wine very clear. Might try to rack this weekend. Been busy with other projects/homework.
Oct 26
Finally racked wine.
4 campden tablets
1.3% acid(wrong as I found out later)
4.5 cups sugar added
1.006/7 final
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
20061107_080336_strawBlue.jpg

Moved to counter a few days previously and propped on side. Sterilized racking tube, cane, equipment, new carboy with sulfite. SG at .990 completely dry. Wine should be around 13.5% alcohol. Tested acid with new NaOH solution, this one at 1/5 or .2 normal. Used 6.5 ml to neutralize 15 ml of wine. Not sure really what this means at this point. The first solution was .1 normal. I think that means I’m still at 1.3% acid. I’ve found a new forum on line, I’ll see if I can clarify. After some calculations, 2oz of sugar raising gravity of 1 gal by .005, so it should raise five gal by .001. 1.008 is considered just barely sweet wine, so I thought a good target to try and hit. 1.008-.990= .018/.001(2oz additions) =18. 18*2oz=36 then /8oz to get cups= 4.5C of sugar. I started off adding 4, then went ahead and added the other half cup. I mixed up 4 campden tablets, was going to add three then after mixing sugar for awhile, decided to add another. Might not add any for racking into bottle. Stabilized with 1.25 tsp of sorbate. Mixed all in a cup of wine. Warmed few cups of wine to dissolve sugar. My god, how I hate our big measuring cup, impossible to pour out of it. Will be looking for another one. Racked about a third of the wine, added the syrup, then racked the rest. Should be pretty clear. Had almost an inch left in carboy after sugar additions. Filled up new carboy within an inch. Final SG at 1.006/7, pretty close, next time might take it to 5 cups of sugar, we’ll see after it sets in the bottle for awhile. Sediment was pretty firm. I didn’t use any finings, we’ll see what happens without it. Placed under airlock and back under cover. Will check in another week to see if there is any action, then start to bottle.

Oct 27
Tasted some of the wine I had poured off. Pretty yeasty of course. Added a spoon of sugar, could just about drink it ok. I hope it mellows out some more in the bottle.

That first pic was of the strawberry and the blueberry wine I previously bottled, another story. Here some pics of the testing and racking.
20061107_084210_StrawberryCandl.jpg

There is a candle behind the wine.
20061107_084329_BeforeRack.jpg

Getting everything ready
LT

Very nice pictures OGrav. I have a hard time getting a good picture of the hydrometer reading as you have.

What a pretty colored wine.
What kind of grapes did you use????I made my Strawberry/Grape with WinExpert red grape concentrate, so mine is very dark red....
Like the Rosé color of yours...
smiley20.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks, WW. They are not without effort. I take three for every one I can keep. I'm not sure how I was able to focus that close.I tried to duplicate it today, (I put an Ocean Spray wine into secondary). I had a good time posting them as well, browser crashed about six times just when I'm getting ready to post of course. For learning, you can't beat pictures. Like for this latest juice wine, I used a different yeast, Lavlin 1122, and it works and looks differently than 1116. Takes about another two days, it seems to get up a head of steam.
LT

I used about 16lbs of strawberries in the primary and then when I racked to secondary, I added three can of Welches frozen white grape concentrate along with some more sugar. I would be inteterested in how a straight strawberry wine would compare to this.
LT

OGrav said:
Thanks, WW.  They are not without effort.  I take three for every one I can keep.  I'm not sure how I was able to focus that close.  I tried to duplicate it today, (I put an Ocean Spray wine into secondary).  I had a good time posting them as well, browser crashed about six times just when I'm getting ready to post of course.  For learning, you can't beat pictures.  Like for this latest juice wine, I used a different yeast, Lavlin 1122, and it works and looks differently than 1116.  Takes about another two days, it seems to get up a head of steam.
LT

I had my computer get a virus a few weeks ago....did the Restore/Recovery and since then I have had a very difficult time Posting photos to this Site...
Waldo had me Post them to Photo Bucket and then UpLoad the photos to this Site...works like a charm...
smiley4.gif

OGrav said:
I used about 16lbs of strawberries in the primary and then when I racked to secondary, I added three can of Welches frozen white grape concentrate along with some more sugar.  I would be interested in how a straight strawberry wine would compare to this.
LT

I have been using about 20-24 pounds of fruit for a 6 gallon batch, and two 500 mil bottles of winExpert Red Grape Concentrate...It makes a full bodied red wine with loads of fruit flavor....It finishes very dry...BUT...the strawberry flavor is kind of sweet like strawberries taste.
I use a steam juice extractor to get the juice out of the fruit...someday I will try freezing the fruit and using a straining bag and see if there is even more flavor...
Use the same recipe for Raspberry and Chokecherry wines....
Many songs written about strawberry wine...can see why...

Are strawberries one of the ones that you have to be careful with the heat? Somewhere I read that they have a lot of pectins, that's why I used the method I did. I was quite surprised at what I had left in the bag after a few days fermentation. I bet I only had two pounds of pulp left after the yeast got done with it. I mention this because I am intrigued by all the talk of yours and Waldo's steam juice extractor. Do you guys ever have any problems with that?
LT

Latest posts

Back