Storage question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoxbar

Junior
Reaction score
I haves very simple question. Is it necessary to store my homemade wine on it's side? I plan on using synthetic corks, I've read they don't let air in the bottle. Is this true? I was hoping to put the filled bottles back in the box they came in and store them upright in a closet. Will this work?

It will work fine as long as they are the synthetic ones. You can store them in the box upright, or you can store on their side and even stack a few high. Just be careull in very humid weather or if you steal some from the bottom box! I had a stack tip over once in the closet and luckily none broke.

If you are using real "corks' then yes on their side or upside down. Reson is to keep thecork moist. No need if they are synthetic corks.

Welcome and tell us more about yourself.

You will need an Italian corker for most synthetic corks though as a hand corker isnt strong enough to compress these corks and the Portuguese floor corker isnt really strong enough either and will score the synthetic corks and make them leak.

Latest posts

Back