Stopping fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the apple cider is about 7% alcohol on it's own. If you make one gallon @ 7 % and you blend with 5 gallons at 16.75, you will get about 14%. Make two gallons and you will have about 12%.

The yeast for that wine kit is correct and 90% of the time when it states 18% it almost never makes it there! This kit will finish off around 13.5% abv despite the 18% abv tolerance they state for this yeast. They use both soluble and non-soluble sugars to achieve this but even if it were all soluble you would still only most likely get about 16-16.5% out of it. Like I stated in my last thread and Grapeman also stated, make another batch if you an much weaker and blend the 2 to your desired abv.

from Wade: "The only way to stop it is to cold crash this batch a little earlier then where you want it and while its cold filter and stabilize the wine. Preferably use a .45 micron filter. Not using a filter can work but it is riskier as it could start fermenting again at a later date so make sure you keep this in the carboy for awhile to test it under warm conditions to see if it wants to start back up. "

Wade is right...this is really the way to go for a matter like this. In one of our dessert "style" wines our strategy is to not add any sugars at all, but to utilize the natural sugars already present .....at the same time we are seeking to achieve an 8% abv...so as Wade said, a multi pronged approach is needed. If you take your time it is a very repeatable strategy.

by the way....just a side note in case someone was not aware, a winery cannot submit a 6% abv (or less) number on their wine label to the TTB and still fit the bill to be called a wine...your label will be rejected...found that out last yr ;)

I dont think soluble is the word I was looking for actually in my above post. Yeast can only really eat simple sugars, some kits take this to their advantage as do us beer brewers. We slip in lactose sugars to end up with a beer with sweeter end results. You wouldnt really like a beer that was fermented dry. Just so you know mosty beers die off with residual sugars someehere in the 1.005- 1.012 range. Lactose is a sugar that most yeast ca not convert into alc. Its what makes Evaporated milk on the sweeter side.

If he chilled the wine to slow or halt fermentation then are there fining agents that might pull out some of the yeast?

Latest posts

Back